New Warhammer Total War DLC: The Shadow and the Blade

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015

Dark Elves vs Skaven themed unit pack. And it looks like Dark Elves finally have their roster completed.

Malus Darkblade, Medusas, and new Heroes for Dark Elves.

Deathmaster Snikch, Poisoned Wind Mortars, and new heroes for Skaven.

And quality of life improvements for the game, most importantly, the promise of faster End Turn Wait Times.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
So wait, is each army only getting one new unit that's not a hero or legendary lord? That's kind of lame...

Malus and Medusas look rad as hell though!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Elfgore said:
So wait, is each army only getting one new unit that's not a hero or legendary lord? That's kind of lame...

Malus and Medusas look rad as hell though!
If you want full details.

Skaven are getting: Deathmaster Snikch, Master Eshin (Lord), Eshin Sorcerer with Lore of Stealth magic, Eshin Triads (Infantry), Poisoned Wind Mortars (Weapon Team), and Warp Grinders (Weapon Team).

Dark Elves are getting: Malus Darkblade, High Beastmaster (Lord), Dark Elf Master (Hero version of Dreadlords), Bloodwrack Medusa (Monsterous Infantry), Bloodwrack Shrines (War Altar), and Scourgerunner Chariot (Ranged Chariot).

The Free DLC Lord is confirmed to be a Bretonnian one, Repanse de Lyonesse, who is pretty much Warhammer's version of Joan of Arc.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
The Free DLC Lord is confirmed to be a Bretonnian one, Repanse de Lyonesse, who is pretty much Warhammer's version of Joan of Arc.
...am I the only one that finds it weird that Bretonnia is simultaniously based on Arthurian legend AND France? Like, the English and French haven't exactly been best buddies for most of their history.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Hawki said:
...am I the only one that finds it weird that Bretonnia is simultaniously based on Arthurian legend AND France? Like, the English and French haven't exactly been best buddies for most of their history.
Well, the Empire is basically a funny combination of the Holy Roman Empire and Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth which have a similar (if not so long) history, with a range of British accents.

In-game, it's hilarious because all the 'common' soldiers have 'lower-class' British accents, while all the elite soldiers and characters have French. It's a humorously self-deprecating take by CA/GW (notably British companies). Hell, Albion is a shithole (that even Norsca can't really stand) in-game which kinda drives that point in.

Samtemdo8 said:
finally have their roster completed.
I'm hoping they'll have 'legendary' Heroes in WH3 as there are a lot of characters to add and it'd be fun to see those familiar names running around.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I view Bretonnia as that era of Medieval England when the nobility was technically French Noble Families. Like King Richard the Lionheart was a Frenchman.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
SckizoBoy said:
Hell, Albion is a shithole (that even Norsca can't really stand) in-game which kinda drives that point in.
Yeah, but Albion's only that way because of what the druids did to help contain Chaos. Heck, there was even a campaign where everyone fought over Albion because it's that damn special.

Like, Albion's a shithole, don't get me wrong, but I didn't see it as self-deprication. And it's still a better environment than quite a few locations i nthe setting.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
SckizoBoy said:
Hell, Albion is a shithole (that even Norsca can't really stand) in-game which kinda drives that point in.
Yeah, but Albion's only that way because of what the druids did to help contain Chaos. Heck, there was even a campaign where everyone fought over Albion because it's that damn special.

Like, Albion's a shithole, don't get me wrong, but I didn't see it as self-deprication. And it's still a better environment than quite a few locations i nthe setting.
Here's Repanse in game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SIxUrC3t4w

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Samtemdo8 said:
Here's Repanse in game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SIxUrC3t4w
I kept hearing 'Repanse de Mayonnaise'... -.-

Hawki said:

I can appreciate that angle. I just saw it as GW essentially nuking their own country in-universe and saying to the France equivalent 'it's all yours'. That said, if only there was a campaign mini-pack for this in TW:WH, but I suppose it might be a bit limited/more suited to 'traditional' RTS campaigns than the open-ended TW style of gameplay...

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
In the time period that Bretonnia is emulating (roughly 1200's-1300's), England had a mostly french-speaking nobility and literary culture. Many of the most popular Arthurian stories, including the text that invented Lancelot, were written in French. England and France had extremely close political and some cultural ties through most of the medieval period, which is what actually led to the Hundred Years War and later conflicts. So it works pretty well, I think.