New "Winter" Biome in Upcoming Terraria Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
New "Winter" Biome in Upcoming Terraria Update

Terraria's new artist introduces himself and shows some screenshots for the upcoming update, which he promises to be "really big."

Terraria, best described as "Minecraft-but-in-2d-with-wicked-pixel-art," will soon have a rather substantial update for its PC version. In order to help develop this update, Jimmarn (Jim) has been hired as a new artist, and in his self-introduction on the Terraria forums, he teases a few screenshots of a new "winter" biome, and describes his role in the game's development in a bit more detail. "To be honest I do something in every category containing graphics/design. Everything from Tilesets, weapons, items, props, npcs to player graphics," said Jim. He promises that the update is going to be "really big."

Terraria had a bit of a sordid history with its PC gamer fanbase. For a while, everything was all fine and dandy, with the developer releasing regular, free, content updates for the game. But one day, it simply went dark for quite a while, returning only to announce a console exclusive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119542-Terraria-Goes-to-Consoles-PC-Gamers-Go-Nuts], and that no new content would come to the PC.

[gallery=1441]

Quite understandably, the game's loyal PC fanbase were up-in-arms. There was even some controversy from within the development team, with Artist Tiy apparently leaving the team to start up his own project in Starbound, which teased a new update [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123265-Update-Pre-Orders-Open-for-Starbound] to the game earlier this month, showing off a new kind of floating island, and some updates to the jungle biome.

These new screenshots, along with the ones Redigit teased earlier, show some pretty promising progress towards the game, and just might be enough to win back the PC gamers who were miffed by the console version announcement.

Source: Terraria Forums [http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/something-about-one-of-these-new-biomes-from-jim.98890/#post-2058819]

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
It pretty much sounds to me that the development team of terraria is pretty damn stupid.
I am sorry to say this, and i am quite happy to see more content for this good game.
When they announced console exclusive content, they pissed pc gamers of.
Now they are announcing pc exclusive content and piss console gamers of.
I mean just stop with the stupid exclusivity and stop pissing people of!

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
The reason shit hit the fan was not just simply because they suddenly announced a Console port with exclusive content, it was due to first claiming they were done updating the game (which got a bit of flak, but most could cope with it), then a while later post on their twitter (or whatever) that they're going to reveal something exciting for Terraria soon. Can you guess who reads the Terraria(until then PC exclusive) twitter? What do you think the response would be after hearing that it would be a console port after that anticipation build-up?

Either way, I'm glad they're updating the game again, hopefully they'll add more challenges to it.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
There already is a winter biome?
I was just assuming the screens there are showing what they've done to update/pretty it up more.

I'm pretty surprised at the apparent amount of content this update is bringing in as well.

(Though there has been talk of another confirmed, but still unknown biome being added in as well)

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
piinyouri said:
It is pretty bare bones, though. I am guess that this update means the Winter biome will be much for fleshed out and contain unique spawns all year round, not just snowmen invasion.

With as much promise of content as Starbound has, it is going to be kind of hard to pull me back in. But it is good to they/he is giving back to the Terraria PC project again. I remember a long time when I thought there would never be another content update for Terraria again. And anything being console exclusive never makes me happy.

I will never buy a console port of Terraria.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
I don't get what all the fuss was about.
I mean, I paid for the game, and it was cheap.
I had a lot of fun with it, sunk a lot of hours, so it was well worth the price.

Isn't that how you're supposed to judge a game?

Am I upset that plants vs zombies got a higher res version on ipad, which I don't get?
I mean, I think popcap is pretty dumb, 'cos they already have a working game AND the new art assets, it would take a relatively small amount of work to release a newer version (possibly at a discount for those who own older versions) and make a bit of extra cash.

PC gamers SHOULD be bloody well familiar with the concept of newer versions having more features.
I mean, nobody is dumb enough to go back to the store and expect a free hardware upgrade, right?
Ok, I take that back. I'm sure there are a lot of people dumb enough.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
EstrogenicMuscle said:
piinyouri said:
It is pretty bare bones, though. I am guess that this update means the Winter biome will be much for fleshed out and contain unique spawns all year round, not just snowmen invasion.

With as much promise of content as Starbound has, it is going to be kind of hard to pull me back in. But it is good to they/he is giving back to the Terraria PC project again. I remember a long time when I thought there would never be another content update for Terraria again. And anything being console exclusive never makes me happy.

I will never buy a console port of Terraria.
Hopefully he can find some way to give Terraria it's own identity.
Maybe I'm being rash here, but I'd say based on what I've seen and heard about the development for Starbound that the once teased at and maybe possible space additions to Terraria would be career suicide at this point.
He's not going to be able to out space Starbound, so his best bet is to refine what's there to a mirror shine, and add somethings that are decidedly terrestrial.

I mean exploring planets in a simulated universe is great really, but I can't imagine any of them having a writhing Lovecraftian nightmare living at their cores.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Danceofmasks said:
I don't get what all the fuss was about.
I mean, I paid for the game, and it was cheap.
I had a lot of fun with it, sunk a lot of hours, so it was well worth the price.

Isn't that how you're supposed to judge a game?

Am I upset that plants vs zombies got a higher res version on ipad, which I don't get?
I mean, I think popcap is pretty dumb, 'cos they already have a working game AND the new art assets, it would take a relatively small amount of work to release a newer version (possibly at a discount for those who own older versions) and make a bit of extra cash.

PC gamers SHOULD be bloody well familiar with the concept of newer versions having more features.
I mean, nobody is dumb enough to go back to the store and expect a free hardware upgrade, right?
Ok, I take that back. I'm sure there are a lot of people dumb enough.
Software =/= hardware. PC gamers are upset because they were promised on-going updades-minecraft style. The updates then stopped, and when they were teased at again, it was for a console exclusive version of the game.

This really hits the biggest fans who supported the game in the very beginning and turned it into the smash hit it was right in the wallet, because the only way they can experience the new features of a game they love is shelling out more money for a console version of the game (which may not even be their bag, they may dislike console controls or they may not even own a console)

It was a dick move

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
I never thought i'd be the first one to post this:

OT: Never played terraria, heard good things about it though. Might see if i can get it later.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
weirdguy said:
tentacle snip
Shhhh! I know we want Starbound and it looks great but I'm trying to build a case for Terraria!
(I totally forgot about that screen..)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I mean, I have the soundtrack here

there's three tracks for tentacle planet

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Well providing the Terraria update comes long before Starbound's launch, I am SO making an ice kingdom to go with my frosty looking character.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
ANOTHER UPDATE FOR TERRARIA~! Woo~! This is really all I care about... I never was too bothered by the console port, but this? This is fantastic. Looking forward to it!

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
@CrticKitten It's looking to be a lot more than a 'token' amount of content at this point.

@Mumorpuger Red stated that he decided to work on the game again because he himself wanted to.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Wait so we still aren't getting the stuff that the "filthy console peasants" have?

Watch how this update will be DLC for them.