New Witcher 3 Mod Adds Survival Elements to CD Projekt's RPG

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New Witcher 3 Mod Adds Survival Elements to CD Projekt's RPG

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1419/1419656.jpgJust in case The Witcher 3 isn't immersive enough for you, there's a new mod that adds survival elements to the game.

The Witcher 3 already commands well over a hundred hours of your time, but what if the game included survival elements, forcing you to monitor Geralt's hunger, thirst, and fatigue? If that thought intrigues you, then there's a new mod you should check out.

The Primal Needs mod adds a new UI element that tracks those three needs, and there's more to it than just eating and drinking when you get low. The thirst meter fills more quickly than the hunger one, but drinking also empties the bar more quickly. Get too thirsty, and your stamina won't regenerate.

Food now heals less than it did previously, and has an expiration date. Food is also more scarce than before, but Geralt can find food by killing monsters. Reaching critical levels of hunger will cause your vitality to slowly drain. Fatigue is reduced by meditation. If fatigue is too high, Geralt won't be able to sprint, dodge, block, roll, or even run.

In the mod options, you can turn each need on or off as you desire. You can find more info on how it all works, as well as download the mod, over on its Nexus Mods page [http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2547/?].

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I just hope it's something immersive rather than just ridiculous and tedious busywork like survival mechanics in video games almost always are. There's a reason why this sort of stuff is usually ignored in most video games.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
immortalfrieza said:
I just hope it's something immersive rather than just ridiculous and tedious busywork like survival mechanics in video games almost always are. There's a reason why this sort of stuff is usually ignored in most video games.
I think I've seen very, very few game that do it well. Long Dark is one and it makes the entire thing revolve around survival - you need to stay warm, you need to gather food and water and make sure you don't get eaten by wolves. It's pretty good overall.

But it doesn't seem to really work in games where survival is not actually the focus. I recently had my first experience with Fallout: New Vegas - I tried the hardcore mode there which did introduce a hunger, thirst and sleep meter. However, it was probably worse than just busiwork - it was pretty much pointless. At no time did the meters really hinder me in any way, nor did I feel compelled to make sure I'm topped up. Occasionally, I did get into mild hunger or dehydration, but you actually have to go quite some time to be severely inconvenienced. At the first stages (which I barely ever went past) you get a negligible penalty to your stats, so I just rolled with it and ate only when needing to heal.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
DoPo said:
immortalfrieza said:
I think I've seen very, very few game that do it well. Long Dark is one and it makes the entire thing revolve around survival - you need to stay warm, you need to gather food and water and make sure you don't get eaten by wolves. It's pretty good overall.
I've played The Long Dark, and yeah, it's probably the only survival game I know of to get it right, though the wolves are much more of an issue than they really should be.