New Witcher 3 Screens Highlight a Grimly Beautiful World

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Witcher 3 Screens Highlight a Grimly Beautiful World

Three new screens from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt make Geralt's bleak world look more beautiful than ever.

The world of The Witcher has always been gorgeous in the ugliest way possible, with stunningly lush renditions of some truly horrible scenes. Remember when that sleazy governor had the Scoia'tael sympathizers on the hangman's scaffold and you thought you were going to save everyone (especially the pretty elf girl) because you're The Hero, and then, whoops, nope, down they go for a good ol' neck-stretching?

That's how things go in The Witcher and based on these screens, that's how they'll remain in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. There's Geralt riding through the scene of a brutal, bloody battle, surrounded by butchered corpses; and there's Geralt riding through a steaming swap, avoiding what looks to be a marauding war party while a village burns in the background; oh, and there's Geralt about to mix it up with a couple of local thugs who are stomping the life out of a destitute homeless man with a broken arm.

[gallery=2052]

But look at that detail! The light and shadows, the detail of the weapons and armor, the exposed ribcage of the dead horse - you can practically taste the desperation!

CD Projekt Red released the screens to mark today's launch of its new forums, which I suppose is good news if you're a regular user. The forums now offer a number of new rooms, including one dedicated to everything related to The Witcher 3, and yes, your old login info will still work as it did.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is currently in development for the PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and is expected to launch sometime this year.

Source: CD Projekt Red [http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/28537-New-screenshots-from-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt!]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
The background of the third screen is about as close to photo realistic as I've ever seen in a game. If they make the game look that good throughout I might have to shell out for a new GPU just to crank all the settings up to maximum.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I'm not certain how I'll get my PC to run this but I expect it to involve a lot of blood tears and pain, thankfully my PC doesn't have a safeword.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
If the specs are high, which i'd assume they are will warrant me to purchase a new GPU and I've not even bought a new CPU,mobo and RAM yet.

I just dunno where I'm going to get the money to get those parts to run 2014 on maximum.

Better to probably miss out and stick with games I can play from <2012.

Still the shots look nice and beautifully realistic.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
My bank account is crying, but with thing like AMD Mantle, Steam Machine and DDR4 on the horizon, I am waiting to see how thing will go before breaking the bank anyway.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
iniudan said:
My bank account is crying, but with thing like AMD Mantle, Steam Machine and DDR4 on the horizon, I am waiting to see how thing will go before breaking the bank anyway.
I'm going to push and hold out for another couple years for an upgrade if I can help it. I want DDR4, an SSD, and at least a card that is only a generation behind current tech.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Well if I wasn't sure if I was getting a new card this year, The Witcher 3 sure makes a convincing argument

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
I think the game will scale beautifully to most decent platforms (talking about 3-4 cores and about 4gbs of ram, dunno about gpu though).

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Because gore and violence makes everything more mature, right?

Well, have fun learning quantum physics to engineer a computer powerful enough to play the game, followed by repeated attempts to cut yourself out of depression as a result of playing the game.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Racecarlock said:
Because gore and violence makes everything more mature, right?

Well, have fun learning quantum physics to engineer a computer powerful enough to play the game, followed by repeated attempts to cut yourself out of depression as a result of playing the game.
Well actually the game hardly ever celebrated the fact that is has blood and violence in it, if anything Dragon Age is more at fault here you know ;)

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
The background of the third screen is about as close to photo realistic as I've ever seen in a game. If they make the game look that good throughout I might have to shell out for a new GPU just to crank all the settings up to maximum.
Judging from the gameplay trailer that was released a while ago, it does all look this good. Not too surprising that the game to dethrone the Witcher 2 for best looking (IMO) would be the Witcher 3.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
This game is going to make my computer cry, but I bet it will be tears of joy.

Those screenshots are beautiful. I remember when I saw the latest trailer that they released (I think it was the VGX one) when I saw the big city (think it was Novigrad) and him walking through the fields my eyes just bulged open at the sight and made me go "Holy shit". Yeah, only a Witcher game could of done that.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
please dont be bullshots (fake screenshot that can never be rendered in actual gameplay).
please dont be bullshots.
please dont be bullshots.

Racecarlock said:
putting together a computer to run a thing like this is hardly more complex than building one out of lego. Having money for it is another question entirely.

CardinalPiggles said:
The background of the third screen is about as close to photo realistic as I've ever seen in a game.
this is GTA 4, a over 4 year old game, with a few enchanting mods.

and its not even the best image ive seen, jsut one i could find fast on google. With a top of the line GPU you can play the game looking this on decent framerate (40~) in 1440p resolution. With double GPU you can play it in 4K.