New Wonder Woman Will Wear "Those Little Shorts"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Wonder Woman Will Wear "Those Little Shorts"

NBC surprised the world today with the announcement of a third, never-before-seen Wonder Woman costume that will feature - because you demanded it - "little shorts."

It's utterly baffling to me but for some reason, a lot of people seem really wound up about the costume Adrienne Palicki will wear in the new Wonder Woman pilot being developed for NBC. Shiny blue pants? And matching blue boots? Unacceptable! So changes were made: the vinyl pants were dropped, replaced by something a little more functional-looking (and a little less reflective) while the boots went from blue to a more wonderful, womanly red. Power to the people!

Except according to NBC President Robert Greenblatt, that was the plan from the start, and there's actually a third, as-yet-unrevealed costume that will make old-time Wonder Woman fans very happy. "There was an initial outcry about the long pants - you know, skintight pants as opposed to those little shorts [worn by Lynda Carter in the original TV series]," Greenblatt told TVLine.com [http://www.tvline.com/2011/04/nbc-wonder-woman-third-costume/]. "But the shorts were always planned. They are actually used in the final confrontation when she beats Veronica Cale."

"We haven't made any changes from what was planned," he said. "But it's always good to hear the feedback. I'd rather have people really passionately engaged in conversation, even if they hate something, than be kind of bored."

He added, however, that limits must be set and that further changes in response to fan criticism are unlikely. "There's always critiques of everything," he said. "If we listen to all of that, we would probably never be able to get the job done. David [Kelley] is a great writer... I think it's going to be interesting to see it cut together. I've been doing this long enough to know that nothing is a safe bet. Even with the best of intentions and the best people, you just don't know until you see it finished - and we're a few weeks away from that. But it's been getting a lot of attention. A lot."
[gallery=199]
Now that the big news is out, we'll probably see "Classic Shorts Wonder Woman" publicity photos fairly soon, but in the meantime I guess we can all finally breathe a little easier knowing that we really dodged a bullet, and that there will in fact be little shorts. Whew!

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
Really? As much a fan as I am of Miss Palicki's legs (as well as the rest of her), is that really necessary? Seriously, they might as well go back to the outfit with the rubbery blue pants...

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I'm trying really hard to care about Wonder Woman's costume. But, I just...can't.

Carl Watkins

Duke of Nonsense
Jul 26, 2009
Personally, I don't think the issue so much was "they're not shorts" as much as it was "OH JESUS MAKE IT STOP! MY EYES!!! THAT IS A HIDEOUS OUTFIT!!!!"

Aug 25, 2009
Odd to hear he said the shiny pants weren't planned from the start, but I suppose the original publicity photo with the shiny trousers might have been for lack of the actual costume or to test the reaction or something.

I'll be quite glad to see the little shorts, they are kind of an icnoic part of the original outfit after all. It would like Captain America without his shield or Power Girl without her boob window.

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
Honestly I'm probably not going to watch it, so i'm not all to concerned about if she has pants or shorts. But there will always be remakes of popular stuff, and a lot of times they will make little changes that don't really matter, but for some reason it enrage's some fan's as if they just killed their favorite series... Really it's not worth getting worked up over.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Why call them shorts anyways? To me, the Wonder Woman Costume always looked like this.

Them ain't no shorts.

Fuloqwam

Jul 29, 2009
As ridiculous as this costume will be, it's hard to get mad. This is one step closer to just giving her a blue thong, which is fine with me.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
I have no real interest in it, but that first costume was legitimately awful. It looked like a horrible cross between a cheap Halloween costume and a vinyl fetish suit.

The newer pants actually looked pretty decent and certainly looked much less cheap. "Those little shorts" seem a little cheap and fan-servicy again even if there is history behind it.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
The non-shiny rubber pants pictured in the first image looked good, damnit!

However, the Justice League Unlimited Wonder Woman costume was the best, as pictured above by Soviet Heavy.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Why call them shorts anyways? To me, the Wonder Woman Costume always looked like this.

Them ain't no shorts.
It's like plate underwear isn't? Must chafe something fierce.

OT: Yeah this show just died, it had a chance with the pants but not anymore with battle thong. I can already see the headlines "New Wonder Woman TV Show Sexist?" oh yeah, this is gonna go over like a midget tied to a lead brick in Congress.

*opens umbrella*

I await the upcoming shit-storm with the utmost preparedness. I have a bomb shelter out back for anyone who's a little more freaked out.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Now that the big news is out, we'll probably see "Classic Shorts Wonder Woman" publicity photos fairly soon, but in the meantime I guess we can all finally breathe a little easier knowing that we really dodged a bullet, and that there will in fact be little shorts. Whew!
Yeah... not a fan of the shorts...

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Jaime_Wolf said:
I have no real interest in it, but that first costume was legitimately awful. It looked like a horrible cross between a cheap Halloween costume and a vinyl fetish suit.

The newer pants actually looked pretty decent and certainly looked much less cheap. "Those little shorts" seem a little cheap and fan-servicy again even if there is history behind it.
That's not a photo from the new show just a Halloween costume or model for something else, but yeah I guess that means she'll be getting something among the likes of those If not a little higher on the sides or lower all around.

I still think the 2nd pair of pants were decent.​

goldenheart323

Oct 9, 2009
I'm not a big Wonder Woman fan, but I thought the shiny blue pants looked horrible.
Andy Chalk said:
Except according to NBC President Robert Greenblatt, that was the plan from the start, ..."But the shorts were always planned. They are actually used in the final confrontation when she beats Veronica Cale."

"We haven't made any changes from what was planned," he said. ...

He added, however, that limits must be set and that further changes in response to fan criticism are unlikely. ...
eh???

No changes were made, but they don't want to make any more changes??? For there to be "further changes" that means there was at least one change. Right? I guess that means something was changed due to criticism, but it just wasn't the outfit. I guess? Am I missing something, or is Greenblatt an idiot/liar?

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Lucane said:
Jaime_Wolf said:

That's not a photo from the new show just a Halloween costume or model for something else, but yeah I guess that means she'll be getting something among the likes of those If not a little higher on the sides or lower all around.

I still think the 2nd pair of pants were decent.​

Really? I'm almost sure the new pants are an actual photo from the show - I remember seeing a series of the pictures from a photoshoot in the last article posted about them. Pretty sure the picture of the old pants is also from an official photo.

If you mean "those little shorts", yes, I realise that the picture isn't of them, but they're referring to them as "those little shorts", so the intent pretty much has to be at least partly fan-service.