New Writer Tapped For Shadow of the Colossus Movie

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009

One of the men behind teen assassin flick Hanna is Sega's choice for its movie adaptation.

Many of you may not recognize the name Seth Lochhead - he who co-wrote teen assassin flick Hanna [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugireeCoYyU] - but if Sony has its way, you'll soon know him as the man who wrote the Shadow of the Colossus movie script.

Josh Trank, director of Chronicle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5333-Chronicle], has been picked as director. There's no release date yet for this one, nor have there been any significant cast announcements.

the chance to play it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/4323-Shadow-of-the-Colossus-Trailer], is a 2006 PS2 title, re-released for PS3 in 2011. You play as bereft hero Wander, out to resurrect his beloved Momo. To do it, Wander has to destroy the sixteen colossi of the title. It's a puzzle game at its heart, but it won critical and popular acclaim for its visuals and soundtrack.

Lochhead is playing it cagy, at least on Twitter [https://twitter.com/SMLochhead], saying he wasn't in a hurry to confirm his involvement. In any event, director Trank is still pretty heavily involved with the Fantastic Four reboot, so this one is a long ways off yet.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hanna-writer-pen-shadow-colossus-409585]

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I have no idea how this is going to work BUT if I get to see a Live action Avion battle with DAT music, I'l be happy.

Jan 27, 2011
Huh. I could see SoTC working as a movie. I hope they do a good job with i-

-WAIT, did I just read that they're making a Fantastic 4 reboot?! GOOD. The previous two movies were....Well...The first one was ok, but the second one...UGH...They made Doctor Doom a TOTAL joke.

Hazardlife

Jul 14, 2009
The most surprising bit of information I learned from this is that the characters in SotC had names. Until now I thought Agro was the only named character!

Still, Chronicle was a good film, so maybe this has a chance.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
He's done some very good work, but I'm not sure how well SotC will translate to film... toss-up

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Was Michael Bay not available?

Yeah... that wasn't funny, anyways, this could go either way. Tis one to watch no doubt.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
I'm just gonna put it out there and say I think this is a terrible idea, regardless of the cast and crew.
Movie adaptations of games just don't work and I feel a Colossus movie would just be a train-wreck.

I wouldn't boycot this movie, I'm not an idiot. But I'm sure not going to get excited about it.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
I had no idea that Sega was the owner of Shadow of the Colossus. I always thought it was Sony who owned the property. Oh well. I guess the boxart that contains the company logo is lying to me.

Anyways, I'm glad to see a re-shuffling in the production to this movie, even though most adaptations don't turn out well.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Karloff said:

- but if Sega has its way, you'll soon know him as the man who wrote the Shadow of the Colossus movie script.
Adam its Sony that owns SoTC not Sega. I think you should fix that.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I'm not seeing how you could do this as a movie. It has a total of four characters; one is a horse, one is dead until the end credits roll and one doesn't show up until just before the end. How do you make a movie out of that?

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Simple: Write a completely different story but keep the main theme. Maybe change the ending to be a bit, too. Main theme would probably be young hero killing huge collossi without actually knowing what damage he is doing -> twist blabla :D

crepesack

May 20, 2008
So..silent protagonist?

1,999 USD that his movie comes out and has a terrible script and CGI and totally flops.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I'm...sort of skeptical about it. How many times have we heard people take interest in video game related movies? How many actually go through with it?

I mean, I'd love to see a SotC movie but it would be hard to make it appealing for all audiences. See: The Last Airbender and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. I love all those movies and they have different problems of their own. People just weren't attracted to them.

What I'm trying to say is that while a videogame based movie is awesome for us gamers and makes sense (either because we're just open to the idea or we've played the games), other audiences will be confused or turned off by it. And sadly, the producers gotta make sure everyone's gonna want to see that movie.
That's what I think. Don't call me out on that!

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
It'd be great to see this done properly but it -IS- rather difficult to see how it could be done well. Ah well, I live for surprises. Nice ones, hopefully. :D

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I'm sceptical in the sense that surely the script writes itself?

How could you change Shadow of the Colossus to be worth seeing by gamers? Any change you make would surely be too much, and then we'd just have the fanbase complaining about it as the people new to it just get confused about the whole issue.

I don't even know how it would all fit into a movie, but I suppose a movie length for it gives the viewers less time to complain that there's barely any dialogue. Maybe if they just slowly faded between the Colossi fights, making the whole thing seem like a silent cautionary tale.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
crepesack said:
So..silent protagonist?

1,999 USD that his movie comes out and has a terrible script and CGI and totally flops.
Not silent. There's just not much to talk about when you're fighting giant creatures.
He talks to Dormin upon arriving and calls Agro.