New York Museum Boasts 2,000-Year-Old Ancient Egyptian d20

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
Well I'm obviously a descendant of the ancient Egyptians.

1337mokro said:
the sun rising at dusk
What? I'm pretty sure the sun doesn't rise at dusk. You mean dawn right?
You got a critical hit.

You confirmed your crit.

You do 8 points of damage to your oppenents ego :p

Bad English mistake is bad :D

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
It would be cool if the New York Museum made replicas for sale at the gift shop.

ForgottenPr0digy said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
Neat! From what I can remember from a couple books I read, the Ancient Egyptians were big on games. Ever seen Yu-Gi-Oh?

You know, you could be permanently banned just for posting that video clip and nothing else.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
1337mokro said:
Baldry said:
1337mokro said:
Baldry said:
So instead of Dungeons and Dragons was it Pyramids and Sphinxes?
The mage in your party passed the Knowledge Arcane check.

He tells you that it would still be Dungeons and Dragons, or more like Tombs and Dragons.

The ancient Egyptians had allot of Dragons too.

They even had their own mythology featuring them like Apep, the dragon/snake that lay in wait to attempt to kill Horus every time he died and had to pass through the underworld, which was everyday at sunset. They explained the Red colour of the sun rising at dusk as the blood of that dragon being wounded and retreating.

What do you want to do next?
I use counter argument.

The thing about "Egyptian Dragons" is more often then not they're serpents, sure the ones with wings could be considered dragons but more then anything they're winged serpents [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_serpent]. Also if you look at images of most Egyptian Gods that could be considered dragons they don't really look like dragons, some look like cats and some look like straight up snakes.
You failed the counter argument.

A passing clergyman hears your argument and quickly corrects you that dragons are simply great winged serpents with legs.
I use Semantics. You're thinking of Amphiptere. While in the dragon family isn't actually a dragon, like you said a dragon has legs.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Baldry said:
1337mokro said:
Baldry said:
1337mokro said:
Baldry said:

He tells you that it would still be Dungeons and Dragons, or more like Tombs and Dragons.

They even had their own mythology featuring them like Apep, the dragon/snake that lay in wait to attempt to kill Horus every time he died and had to pass through the underworld, which was everyday at sunset. They explained the Red colour of the sun rising at dusk as the blood of that dragon being wounded and retreating.

I use counter argument.

The thing about "Egyptian Dragons" is more often then not they're serpents, sure the ones with wings could be considered dragons but more then anything they're winged serpents [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_serpent]. Also if you look at images of most Egyptian Gods that could be considered dragons they don't really look like dragons, some look like cats and some look like straight up snakes.

A passing clergyman hears your argument and quickly corrects you that dragons are simply great winged serpents with legs.
I use Semantics. You're thinking of Amphiptere. While in the dragon family isn't actually a dragon, like you said a dragon has legs.
They are thus still part of the dragon family, the fact we have a Dragon Dragon and a Dragon Serpent doesn't really change much.

Consequently the dungeon master ***** slaps you and tells you to shut up and stop ruining the campaign.

:p

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
1337mokro said:
Baldry said:
1337mokro said:
Baldry said:
1337mokro said:
Baldry said:

I use counter argument.

They are thus still part of the dragon family, the fact we have a Dragon Dragon and a Dragon Serpent doesn't really change much.

Consequently the dungeon master ***** slaps you and tells you to shut up and stop ruining the campaign.

:p
It changes everything. A winged serpent will have different resistances to an actual Dragon. If we begin believing that these things are the same then what will the Wyverns and Drakes think!

*Considers playing street rules and flipping the table*

gaiusimperator

Apr 4, 2010
1337mokro said:
Baldry said:

That sounds more like a Religion or History check than an Arcana check. As a DM, I would only say that the Dice seem to not has an enchantment, and have only background magical powers.

You need to read up on your DnD my friend.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I want a replica of that, so freaking bad.

LyonLee said:
please tell me that there are duplicates in the gift shop....
This, or we should letterbomb ThinkGeek into making these.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
This is probably the weirdest case of "I don't need it but I want one" scenario I ever had.

Hopefully there's replicas in the gift shop. :p

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
gaiusimperator said:
1337mokro said:
Baldry said:

That sounds more like a Religion or History check than an Arcana check. As a DM, I would only say that the Dice seem to not has an enchantment, and have only background magical powers.

You need to read up on your DnD my friend.
It's Knowledge arcane because dragons actually exist and are ancient magical creatures, so I accept the check.

I have also never played DnD, it wasn't a big thing across the sea.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Ah yes, I believe this ancient dodecahedron was also discovered alongside several papyrus scrolls outlining the rules for an Egyptian High Fantasy game called "CEO's & Skyscrapers".

The following splatscrolls seem to indicate that players of this ancient, mysterious game could create characters of numerous fantastical races, such as White People, Black People, and really strange things like Irish People.

Time has obscured the rest of the rules pertaining to the fictional fantasy world of C&S. What sort of crazy lands did it contain? We will never know.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Reminds me of XKCD's theory about the Voynich manuscript [http://www.xkcd.com/593/].

In this case, though, it's more likely someone just came up with a board game that worked better with 20 different possible outcomes per turn, and they didn't have the technology to make those plastic spinners a lot of modern board games use. As a board game geek, I hope someday we find out what it was.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Perhaps that explains this nifty ancient d20 straight out of Egypt's Ptolemaic period currently at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Okay, I couldn't think of just one joke for this, so here goes:

Pathfinder: Only the latest game in the long and rich history of the d20 system.

Gary Gygax: So revolutionary, he changed the history of gaming retroactively.

Wow! D&D really IS the most popular roleplaying system ever!

Obviously that die was to roll saving throws vs mummy curses.

Okay, I think I'm done now. Thank you. I'll be here all week.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
So I tried to lay out a "blueprint" of sorts so I can see about having this custom-made.

I started out using this [http://gfxcorp.q-workshop.com/paperdice/20blank.gif] as a template and drawing the runes out by hand so I can get a rough idea of what this would look like.

That's when I realized that these two images don't show the entire die. There are eight sides not shown in these photographs.

There has to be more somewhere.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Scrythe said:
So I tried to lay out a "blueprint" of sorts so I can see about having this custom-made.

I started out using this [http://gfxcorp.q-workshop.com/paperdice/20blank.gif] as a template and drawing the runes out by hand so I can get a rough idea of what this would look like.

That's when I realized that these two images don't show the entire die. There are eight sides not shown in these photographs.

There has to be more somewhere.
The Metropolitan Collection has another D20 from the exact same time period at: http://www.metmuseum.org/collections/search-the-collections/100008376?img=0 I didn't compare to see if the symbols overlapped. But maybe clicking on the DICE heading or doing a search on DICE might help fill in your template.