Newest Super Smash Bros Fighter is Fire Emblem's Ike

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Newest Super Smash Bros Fighter is Fire Emblem's Ike

Joining his pal Marth, Ike is the second Fire Emblem character confirmed for Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U.

The next confirmed playable character in Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U is Ike from Fire Emblem. Ike is the 30th character so far in a growing list of fighters.

Ike's large frame is reminiscent of his design in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn -- as opposed to his earlier, thinner design from the previous Smash Bros and Fire Emblem: Path of Raidiance -- and it's here to stay for Super Smash Bros 4. Ike fights with a sword and powerful swings. In Brawl, he was one of the slower characters, but he could clear the field with heavy damage.

[gallery=2555]

Some people were clamoring for Fire Emblem: Awakening's Chrom to be a new fighter in Super Smash Bros. Marth is a fan-favorite and a long-time veteran of Smash Bros, whereas the second Fire Emblem character tends to be one from a recent title, which made Chrom seem like a shoe-in. If there happens to be a third Fire Emblem character, we could expect to see Chrom, but there's no knowing whether that will happen.

Super Smash Bros 4 launches for 3DS this September, while the Wii U version is set to release for the holiday season. Nintendo will be holding a tournament during E3, where the company also plans to show off the use of near-field communication toys on Nintendo consoles. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134741-Super-Smash-Bros-Wii-U-Will-Use-NFC-Toys-Like-Skylanders]

Source: Smash Bros [http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/ike.html]

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I was wondering if we were getting anymore reveals before E3. Awesome to see Ike back in the fold. Was kinda expecting Meta Knight with the release of Kirby Triple Threat but we shall see what Nintendo has up their sleeves.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
An Ike has returned, just as I expected. He had a unique move-set so I didn't consider him likely to be removed, and as a 2 game Fire Emblem lead I felt he was deserving of his spot.

Anyway, not only does this make me happy but I'm sure it'll make my little brother happy; Ike was his best character in Brawl.

As for a 3rd Fire Emblem representative, given the success of Awakening, it's popularity, and how it's a 13 game series, I see it being very likely that Fire Emblem will have a 3rd rep in SSB4. As to whether that'll be Chrom I do not know, I honestly feel his chances have lowered. To my knowledge he doesn't really offer anything unique in terms of move-set and given the addition of avatar styled characters like Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, I feel Robin the Tactician is most likely. Even ignoring Robin, Chrom tends to get suggested only because he is the lead character of Fire Emblem Awakening. When it comes to popularity though, Lucina is more popular, particularly in Japan, and Sakurai has focused quite a bit on adding female characters to this SSB. Overall though I feel Robin is the most likely for a 3rd Fire Emblem rep, although I'd personally prefer Anna given there has been an Anna in almost every single Fire Emblem game and she'd thus represent the series as a whole very well.

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
I like Ike, you like Ike!
I enjoyed playing as Ike, only problem was trying to get back on stage if you were beneath it.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
Sould1n said:
As for a 3rd Fire Emblem representative, given the success of Awakening, it's popularity, and how it's a 13 game series, I see it being very likely that Fire Emblem will have a 3rd rep in SSB4. As to whether that'll be Chrom I do not know, I honestly feel his chances have lowered. To my knowledge he doesn't really offer anything unique in terms of move-set and given the addition of avatar styled characters like Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, I feel Robin the Tactician is most likely.
I was actually thinking about this after reading this article. I figured we'd either get Chrom with a modified version of Ike's moveset, or Ike would come back. One or the other. Now that Ike is back, and Chrom seems less likely, it feels weird for there to not be a character from Awakening. I haven't played Awakening yet so I wasn't aware the player character had a default name, but he/she would definitely make a unique and interesting addition to the roster. As you mentioned, Villager and Trainer already opened the door for "avatar" characters, even allowing Smash players to choose their gender. I am surprisingly jazzed for the possibility of The Tactician, a.k.a. Robin.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Sould1n said:
As for a 3rd Fire Emblem representative, given the success of Awakening, it's popularity, and how it's a 13 game series, I see it being very likely that Fire Emblem will have a 3rd rep in SSB4. As to whether that'll be Chrom I do not know, I honestly feel his chances have lowered. To my knowledge he doesn't really offer anything unique in terms of move-set and given the addition of avatar styled characters like Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, I feel Robin the Tactician is most likely. Even ignoring Robin, Chrom tends to get suggested only because he is the lead character of Fire Emblem Awakening. When it comes to popularity though, Lucina is more popular, particularly in Japan, and Sakurai has focused quite a bit on adding female characters to this SSB. Overall though I feel Robin is the most likely for a 3rd Fire Emblem rep, although I'd personally prefer Anna given there has been an Anna in almost every single Fire Emblem game and she'd thus represent the series as a whole very well.
The issue with both Chrom and Lucina is that as 'Lord' class characters they'd seem similar to Ike and Marth. Even with different move sets, how many people do you really need with blue hair and giant swords. Personally I'd like most to see either Nowi or Tiki since they've got that whole 'transform into a dragon' thing to make them unique. Tiki has also shown up in multiple games, so that might be a good choice. Plus that would satisfy the whole 'wanting a female character' thing.

That said: I would have no objections to seeing Anna. She's a cool character and my only real complaint is that she didn't get more support conversations.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Falterfire said:
Sould1n said:
The issue with both Chrom and Lucina is that as 'Lord' class characters they'd seem similar to Ike and Marth. Even with different move sets, how many people do you really need with blue hair and giant swords. Personally I'd like most to see either Nowi or Tiki since they've got that whole 'transform into a dragon' thing to make them unique. Tiki has also shown up in multiple games, so that might be a good choice. Plus that would satisfy the whole 'wanting a female character' thing.

That said: I would have no objections to seeing Anna. She's a cool character and my only real complaint is that she didn't get more support conversations.
No transformations in this game though, so the dragons are out. Lucina and Chrom would be too similar in function and aesthetic to Marth and Ike respectively. Anna seems like the only viable choice with her more trickster stylings as opposed to being a straight up swordsman.

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Sould1n said:
An Ike has returned, just as I expected. He had a unique move-set so I didn't consider him likely to be removed, and as a 2 game Fire Emblem lead I felt he was deserving of his spot.

Anyway, not only does this make me happy but I'm sure it'll make my little brother happy; Ike was his best character in Brawl.

This is a very good point. Chrom and Lucina seem less likely now that we have Marth and Ike (although it would be amusing to see a blue-haired team of swordfighters from Fire Emblem). The Tactician would be an interesting choice. Now would they have melee abilities, magic abilities, or both? I'd love to see both together.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Awh why Ike unless it's a foreshadow they are making another sequel to that game universe with Ike? (Yes I did read that the attire he's wearing is from Path of Radiance.)

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Dexterity said:
The only other characters from Fire Emblem I'd like to see are Hector or Ephidel, purely because there are no axe or lance wielding characters in Smash Bros.
I would find a setup of 3 Fire Emblem characters with the Sword, Axe, and Lance triangle pretty interesting. I'm not sure about applying their strength/weaknesses (encouraging counterpicking), but if we're approaching 3 characters, why not.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
While I'm not complaining about Ike being in the game, I really don't like his Radiant Dawn design. He looked much better in Path of Radiance. In fact, I think every character that's in both games looked better in Path of Radiance.

I would also like to see a new representative from Fire Emblem. The series has a lot of good candidates.

fhmy

Aug 2, 2010
Lets face it though, Ike is a bigger beast than Chrom.

Chrom can potentially be a lot more interesting, however. He could have a class change mechanic, like changing into maybe a cavalier or an archer in addition to being a lord as usual, kind of like Pokemon Trainer. Then again, the game seems to be averse to change characters.

evilnancyreagan

May 1, 2014
I wouldn't count out any of your favorite character from being included in Super Smash Bros just yet.

If Nintendo is going to incorporate NFC toys, then it truly behooves them to have as many characters as possible.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
evilnancyreagan said:
I wouldn't count out any of your favorite character from being included in Super Smash Bros just yet.

If Nintendo is going to incorporate NFC toys, then it truly behooves them to have as many characters as possible.
This... is a very good point. I wouldn't be surprised if we see pokeball summoning toys for all 719 Pokemon.

evilnancyreagan

May 1, 2014
Eclipse Dragon said:
evilnancyreagan said:

This... is a very good point. I wouldn't be surprised if we see pokeball summoning toys for all 719 Pokemon.
That is absurd yet very plausible.

I'm scared...

Hold me!

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
*disappoint*
I was really hoping for Priam, since he's basically Ike's confirmed descendant and all, but I guess he's too much of a side character to be noticed by Senpai Sakurai today.
Here's to hoping for Lucina or Chrom though, because there's no reason to assume it's just going to be the two of them, right?
Right?
*sad*

EDIT: You know what would be really neat? Having Morgan or Robin in it. Have different costume sets for male/female Morgan, and just keep Robin's hood up and that would take care of the customisation thing so it would always look like your Robin.

7/14/14 EDIT: I CALLED IT, THIS FOREVER IS PROOF

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I'm OK with that. I rather enjoyed playing Ike in Brawl, with him being one of the few characters to actually have real smash ratios on their attacks.

Lucina would be my other pick, but since we can never truly be rid of Marth, that just isn't going to happen.