Next gen EA games to cost £55

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
This is clearly a ploy. Raise prices for Americans first, they whine.

Raise prices for the rest of the world first, then raise for Americans later as justification (Making things equal) less whining.

anyway, I see a lot of people here using the earn more-pay more argument.

I just have to make sure that they are also in favor of raising taxes for these kind of CEO's that earn millions annually. Just because youknow, they don't earn twice as much. They tend to earn five hundred times as much. Yet I don't see them paying five hundreds time as much.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Amir Kondori said:
ItsNotRudy said:
Venom 3135 said:
and no one I know, including working adults can either.
Why couldn't a working adult afford it? I mean they shouldn't buy it, but all adults I know have at least 100 quid to spare by the end of the month. The adults you know must be fairly poor or living above their means if they spend their entire wage on rent and such o.x
Or have a family and kids.
My father bought six copies of Starmade (Terraria Sequel) for roughly 45Dollars. Because its a gamerfamily with the smaller sibling also gaming. He, despite being decently well off was able to pretty much afford that on his gamerbudget this month.

If he had to buy six copies of say, dunno... EA-example.... Sims Medieval.

He'd be paying about 100Dollars per copy.

Ending at 600 Dollars since EA sucks at sales.

Buying new EAgames is just not viable unless, well.. You're incredibly rich, live alone, live with your parents, or at least don't have kids. Or wait for them to drop in price.

And you know EA, its been decades and they are still charging exorbitant amounts for Sims 2. Or the Battlefields, or any other EA game ever.

They aren't even Blizzard so they can't even say their games are worth it do to the massive multiplayer content. They are just scum.

That being said though, EA and other publishers as a result being scum, has resulted in a flourishing indie golden-age. So I don't mind too much, I love the indie titles. They are cheap and often better than the tipple-A. And I'm not just saying that to be hipster.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
Soopy said:
Games cost $100aud as is. The Australian dollar is worth 95c US at the moment. Riddle me that.
The Australian minimum wage is also practically double what it is in fairly high-paying areas of America. So, you know, it's kinda balanced out when you're making $16 per hour instead of $7-8.
So we should get charged more because our Government isn't run by complete ass-holes who will take every possible chance to screw over the people in favour of big businesses.

It just seems like EA is being a bunch of greedy assholes as they usually are. Just getting Battlefield 4 at this point is still a maybe for me.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
lunavixen said:
shrekfan246 said:
But on the downside, a lot of the time we get less hours as casuals, I get a high rate of pay, but very low hours, I earn $160 per week on average, and jobs are hard to find at the moment.
That's really no different than it is over here, mate. The economy is just as terrible in America as it is anywhere else, and you make the same working ten hours as I theoretically might working twenty.

I'm not saying it justifies a higher price, but I always see the same argument about Australian prices come up any thread about game prices, and the Australians never acknowledge the fact that you guys make a lot more money on average than the equivalent job an American would be working.

Just to note an anecdote; A week or so ago I saw a guy say he makes something like $22 an hour working at Wal-Mart. My father barely makes more than that, and he's been working as a computer programmer for the state for over 25 years.

CpT_x_Killsteal said:
shrekfan246 said:
Soopy said:
Games cost $100aud as is. The Australian dollar is worth 95c US at the moment. Riddle me that.
The Australian minimum wage is also practically double what it is in fairly high-paying areas of America. So, you know, it's kinda balanced out when you're making $16 per hour instead of $7-8.
So we should get charged more because our Government isn't run by complete ass-holes who will take every possible chance to screw over the people in favour of big businesses.

It just seems like EA is being a bunch of greedy assholes as they usually are. Just getting Battlefield 4 at this point is still a maybe for me.
Again, I'm not saying it's justified. But it is mostly balanced when compared to the equivalent economies of other countries, unlike your neighbors New Zealand.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
Again, I'm not saying it's justified. But it is mostly balanced when compared to the equivalent economies of other countries, unlike your neighbors New Zealand.
Charging someone MORE than average for the sole reason "Because they could afford it" isn't what I would call balance.

It's like charging you 15 bucks for a candy bar because you just happen have some extra spare change on you.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
I never knew that paying 60 euros (75 dollars) for a new game at retail that we do in Finland could be considered as a good deal.

Then again I always import my games from the UK to avoid tax and get them for like 45 euros.

GonvilleBromhead

Dec 19, 2010
I thought EA was trying to kill the second hand market, not make it the preferred choice?

In any case, what sort of moron would pay that when they know that, if they wait a bit, the price is going to come down? I mean, look at Bioshock Infinite. £40 on release on PS3, can now (only four months later) be bought new for £28 from one of largest retailers. Dishonored is £16 after nine months. And competition with download services is only going to make those price reductions start earlier and be more pronounced.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
shrekfan246 said:
Charging someone MORE than average for the sole reason "Because they could afford it" isn't what I would call balance.

It's like charging you 15 bucks for a candy bar because you just happen have some extra spare change on you.
The difference is the average though.

The 'average' is higher in Australia, to match the fact that you have a higher average pay.

It'd be like me getting angry at games being $60 here in the US when they cost the equivalent of just over $20 USD over in India (which EA also chose to fuck up, so you know, good on them for being equal-opportunity bad-PR-generators).

The Australian dollar might be almost as strong as the US dollar, but your higher wages do off-set the exchange rate compared to the US.

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
£55 for a new game? Not bloody likely! I'm in no hurry for new releases- I'll just wait for a Steam sale six months down the line and get it for a tenne- oh.

-Nick

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
shrekfan246 said:

The difference is the average though.

The 'average' is higher in Australia, to match the fact that you have a higher average pay.

It'd be like me getting angry at games being $60 here in the US when they cost the equivalent of just over $20 USD over in India (which EA also chose to fuck up, so you know, good on them for being equal-opportunity bad-PR-generators).

The Australian dollar might be almost as strong as the US dollar, but your higher wages do off-set the exchange rate compared to the US.
So do Canadians pay more? How about those who live in Washington compared to the rest of the country because I bet that has a higher average wage than Detroit does. What's the average wage difference and what do games cost in Washington vs Detroit at game stop?

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
SpunkeyMonkey said:
I've no qualms paying £55 for quality games. Give me a plethora of games like Mass Effect 1 & Dragon Age:Origins and you can have my dollar gladly.

However, continue trying to shaft me sideways with shite such as ME3, DA:2, COD, Dead Space 3 etc. and bump the price up to £55 and I'll do everything in my power to ensure that the company trying to screw me out of my money with such dross get as little as possible from me or anyone I know.

Also, I don't expect ANY game at such a price to be bugged, need DLC or be slightly unfinished at any way, shape or form. We paid £30/game back in the 90's, but not one of those games were even remotely unfinished and they NEVER crashed. That's the standard I expect for a £55 game - one freeze up in 1000 plays was about the norm. Match that and £55 is far more justified.
COD is Activison not EA

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I don't pay more than 20$ for a game, period. So maybe I'll have to wait a bit longer now, boo hoo.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
u fcukin wot m8
u must be avin a giggle

But seriously that's fucking outrageous pricing. Looks like I know a company I'll only be getting used from.
"Breaking News: GameStop's Projected Profits in the Next Gen Skyrocket!"

OT: I'm just glad I have little interest in pretty much every EA game.

The only time I saw their logo this gen (hell, maybe ever) was in Dante's Inferno.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
ItsNotRudy said:
Why couldn't a working adult afford it? I mean they shouldn't buy it, but all adults I know have at least 100 quid to spare by the end of the month. The adults you know must be fairly poor or living above their means if they spend their entire wage on rent and such o.x
Is that £100 to spare on games, or £100 to 'spare' total?

I could technically afford a £55 game every couple of weeks (maybe even every week), if I gave up cycling, buying the occasional drink at the pub, using my car for anything but work, watching movies, seeing friends and buying fresh food. £55/week can do a lot of stuff that isn't one average video game.

That's the point the pricing of games is getting to, games or everything else, which is not a proposition games come out of well.

The flip side to this is that Metro: Last Light cost me £25 new, I can manage that, that's not such a huge dent in my weekly finances. If EA wants to chase the ultra premium market that's their choice, plenty of other publishers will happily fill the gap.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Who has two thumbs and isn't buying EA games next generation?*

Also, Me.

Sure there are people that will buy them but ultimately this is just going to push more people to buy used or wait for sales.

At least now we know exactly why EA were working so closely with Microsoft to block used games.

[small]* Not without a hefty price drop, at least.[/small]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Hazy992 said:
No this isn't a placeholder price, a recent blog post by UK retailer GAME confirmed [http://playstationnews.game.co.uk/ps4-faq/] EA games will cost £55 next gen:

How much will PlayStation 4 games cost? said:
At present, the only publisher to confirm costs of their next generation games are EA, attaching a price of £54.99. No other game prices have been confirmed.
Now in case you're wondering £55 is roughly $80USD!

EA, ladies and gentlemen. The company who's CEO said games were too expensive [http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/686/ea-boss-says-games-too-expensive/] and the $59 needed to die are now going to be charging British gamers $80 a pop, and have recently increased prices [http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/5/4497062/indian-pc-gamers-protest-ea-price-hikes-via-twitter] on Origin in India from around $25 to around $60, despite the fact that Indian gamers have less income on average than western gamers.

I honestly don't understand EA. They make out that they're trying to turn over a new leaf and then they go and pull shit like this. It's almost as if they like bad PR.

What are your thoughts on this? Personally I think EA can shove it, there's no way in hell I'm paying that much for a game.
$82 US!

Wanna know whats better? Call of Duty Ghosts is £59.99!

$90 US

NINETY US DOLLARS

Since when is the UK Australia!?

I mean we already pay about $70!

Fuck off, not buying. I steadfastly refuse to pay that much for games, I'm sorry but their comes a point where you're just being a greedy ****. Especially int he modern age of selling half a game and a day one season pass to get the full sodding game.

Sony's first party stuff was announced to be staying at $60 in the US, and they better keep a £45 maximum RRP or I'll just have to toddle of to the land of PC until there's some serious price drops.

Battlefield 4 you say? Sorry I'll be playing Killzone: Shadow Fall instead. Killzone has always had a better class based multiplayer anyway :p

Edit: For the record I have just now emailed PlayStation customer support to ask if they have any news about first party pricing structure. I'll be sure to let everyone know if I receive a response.