Next Gen, is anyone really done with their current consoles?

pure.Wasted

Oct 12, 2011
OldDirtyCrusty said:
Maevine said:
Unless Sony decides to make the PS4 backwards-compatible, I'm completely disinterested in the next-gen consoles. Instead, I think I'll spend the next few years working on my Wii collection, what with used Wii games being phenominally cheap and all.
Almost my point too. I`m not disinterested but with my recent collection it`s pretty important that i can still play those games. There are so many exclusives on the ps3 and it would be a mistake if we couldn`t play them anymore.
What's wrong with playing them on the PS3... that you still have?

Neyon

May 3, 2009
Yes, I hardly use my PS3 anymore. It is massively inferior to my PC in every way and I am tired of all the ports of "AAA" console games that look like they are from 2006.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
pure.Wasted said:
OldDirtyCrusty said:
Maevine said:
Unless Sony decides to make the PS4 backwards-compatible, I'm completely disinterested in the next-gen consoles. Instead, I think I'll spend the next few years working on my Wii collection, what with used Wii games being phenominally cheap and all.
Almost my point too. I`m not disinterested but with my recent collection it`s pretty important that i can still play those games. There are so many exclusives on the ps3 and it would be a mistake if we couldn`t play them anymore.
What's wrong with playing them on the PS3... that you still have?
Nothing, but i know me and when the next gen with all the new shine and glory arives i want that too and i`d like to have it combined rather than having 2 consoles under the tv.
This is only a bit future babbeling i know that i won`t/can`t afford the new ps4 when it`s out fresh and i`m still a bit cautios with all the talk about canning the used game buisness, if this is the case i will probably switch to pc gaming anyway.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Whenever I hear about PC vs Console crap wars I will always see this when thinking of the PC platform reminding me that they are not as godlike as they like to believe.

In the end it doesn't actually matter who chooses what console, only as long as they enjoy playing on it is what should truly matter and not what graphical output it could do.

The same goes for the damn K+M vs Gamepad arguments.

Instead of dictating and telling the same garble facts, let them play instead and let them choose for themselves rather than belittle them for their own free choice.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
You mean the consoles that are worse off than 2008 mid-high pcs who became obsolete 5 years ago yet drags the gaming market down for years on by their lack of sensible design and forcing developers to cut down content jsut so the console can handle it meanwhile the PC players have to suffer terrible ports as more ans more games being designed for consoles because thats the only way to make them run anymore?
No, im not done with them, i wont be done till i have destroyed everyone who is responsible for them begin dragged on so long.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
Isn't the fastest way to make people change is stop producing content for the old console.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Strazdas said:
You mean the consoles that are worse off than 2008 mid-high pcs who became obsolete 5 years ago yet drags the gaming market down for years on by their lack of sensible design and forcing developers to cut down content jsut so the console can handle it meanwhile the PC players have to suffer terrible ports as more ans more games being designed for consoles because thats the only way to make them run anymore?
No, im not done with them, i wont be done till i have destroyed everyone who is responsible for them begin dragged on so long.
This is the part where you go on a mighty crusade that spans 2-3 decades to a point where your quest seems endless but you turn around and see everyone is in the future and wars of hardware were resolved a decade back and then you end up suffering a heart attack of sheer joy.

At least that's how I'd see it if the world got in gear like that.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Hazzaslagga said:
I don't use my 360 much any more after migrating to the lands of the pc. So I would welcome the gen change even if it just increased the potential of cross platform games. Also after reading some replies in the thread, better hardware does not just mean prettier graphics and load times.
Mine died this year. I will not replace it. I'm doing a lot of PC gaming using STEAM. Great prices, better graphics, and choice of keyboard/mouse or 360 controller.

I am excited about next gen consoles in that I've read current consoles are holding graphics back. Developers are making things for PCs that can be dumbed down for consoles. No idea what the future will look like.

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
I'll probably do one of two things, either A. I'll get a next gen console because it may be cheaper than updating my PC to be able to play current gen and next gen games well. Or B. I'll just get a new graphics card. I need to see a price first though.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
I don't think people really understand just how far behind current consoles are and how many compromises are being made in order to get games to run on them. It's not just about graphics- the paltry amount of RAM that current consoles have has affected the way games are designed. Physics are being held back.

Oh, and that grey and brown you guys hate so much? Part of that is actually because of how difficult it is to render a wider color pallet without exposing weaknesses in the lighting engine.

The current consoles will still have a year or two of life after the new gen is released, so it's not like you'll be forced to buy a new one right away. Unless there's some always-online shenanigans being pulled by the next get, I'm ready to move on.

pure.Wasted

Oct 12, 2011
Out of curiosity, which (unreleased?) games have the most technically impressive visuals out there? The Watch Dogs gameplay trailer reeeally impressed me. Is there anything on the PC horizon that's truly spectacular?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I look at my shelf of games and my PS2 games take up a little over half the book case. I have half a shelf for my PS3 titles. So either this console generation has been really shitty(check) or it's getting to be too expensive and time consuming to make games which is why there has been so little of them to come out, it still feels like this generation isn't finished. (check).

It's been eight years, (I think) it just hasn't been the best generation. So yeah, I'm done, let's see if we can't do better next time though. Also I'm really done with the shitty anti-aliasing.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I picked up a 360 just 4 months ago, I has a massive backlog of games to still buy. So no I'm not ready at all, but I've always been a few years behind. I could do with a new PC too, mine won't run much from this gen.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
pure.Wasted said:
Out of curiosity, which (unreleased?) games have the most technically impressive visuals out there? The Watch Dogs gameplay trailer reeeally impressed me. Is there anything on the PC horizon that's truly spectacular?
Unfortunately, everything is still being made to be scalable for consoles, so we're really not seeing much. I'd really love to see what John Carmack could do with Doom 4 if he doesn't have to put it on the 360/PS3.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
The current gen came too soon.
Unless they invented a load-free or something 90% better, there's no real reason to come out with a new console generation - AGAIN.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Consoles don't matter, games matter. I haven't seen any next-gen game that looks intriguing. So until one does shown, I have no intrigue in the next-generation of consoles.

G3

Feb 18, 2013
I don't think we need an upgrade in console power.

What we need is to keep pushing game innovation. It's not the quality of the graphics that will sell, but the decisions in the actual gameplay and the creativity in open-worlds and the stories and characters and puzzles and environmental experiments.

Look at PC computers. They do everything we need and more. Who really needs more RAM or memory? Barely anyone. They peaked. Our consoles rock, what will sell big is the next mashup of RPG and Action or MMO and "whatever". Push those limits first. If all we get out of a new console is another sequel and another sequel where the gameplay is virtually identical to the original (yeah, Halo, you listening?) what's the point? I'll go surfing instead.