Next Gen, is anyone really done with their current consoles?

southparkdudez

Feb 7, 2010
Because I'm not. I still want to play my PS3 and 360, I don't want to invest in new consoles that are rumored to come out this fall the same time games liek GTA5 and the others are comign out for the PS3 and 360.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I'm with you right there. I don't have the money to spend on new gaming machines right now, and to force people to keep up to their new systems is a shitty idea. On that same note however, we are seeing consoles really start to lag behind in terms of current power, so new consoles are pretty much planned at this point since newer games are needing more and more power to present the things they want to present. At this point it's not an "if", but a "when". If the new anti-used games policies we've been hearing about are going to be implemented though, don't expect me to play on an unhacked console.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
I highly doubt the consoles are coming out this year, they tend to be released quite a while after the official announcement, and we haven't heard much so far.

I think it's about time they did move to the next gen, the current consoles really can't do a whole lot in terms of power, and I'm all for more powerful machines capable of more stuff than what the PS3 and 360 are capable of.

Maevine

Feb 4, 2013
Unless Sony decides to make the PS4 backwards-compatible, I'm completely disinterested in the next-gen consoles. Instead, I think I'll spend the next few years working on my Wii collection, what with used Wii games being phenominally cheap and all.

fibchopkin

Feb 22, 2011
Do NOT want new console gen! Oh man, I hate being "that gamer," the one that talks about sentimental crap and not wanting to give up on the current gen every time the net gen of consoles comes out, but I do not want to add another console to my collection. I already have a 360 dedicated to the living room 65" TV, the Xbox and PS3 in the guest room and the PS2 and the Wii in the kiddo's room. I can't take it any more! There are still too many games that I love playing on my PS3 and my 360, not to mention the ones I love on Xbox, PS2 and the PC, what am I going to do with a new console? Ack! I'm being buried under a mountain of gaming apparatuses (apparati?)

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I moved in September. I still haven't even bothered to unpack my XBox. I sometimes get an urge to play Rock Band, but not enough to go get it. I do all my gaming on PC now, so yeah, I'm pretty done with my current console.

Dec 14, 2009
I've been playing on PC a lot lately and it's made me realise just how dated the current gen of consoles is.

Not to mention that my 360 is pretty much on it's last legs.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
This generation has pretty much hit the ceiling. There's really only so much you can squeeze out of the systems and while it looks a-fucking-mazing sometimes, the ceiling is still there and they just don't have the power to break it.

This has been an excellent run and the longest generation we've ever had. I am giddy with excitement to see what they will be pumping out with the next-gen.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
done with the current gen consoles? hell am not even yet done with the last gen consoles. i have played about 100 games so far on my ps2 but i still need to play dmc3,ffx,silent hill 2-3,and a whole lot other rpg's.
after am done with those i will get a new ps3 to play all great games i missed out on ps3. No am not a generation behind i use my pc to play all current gen games so as for next gen my pc will continue to play the role of next gen as well as there wont be a single ps4 game that wont run on my pc

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
PC player here. I have a PS3 and I think the last time I played it was for Journey and the collection I got from it. Other than the occasional good games that consoles bring, nothing's going to take me off of PC for a good long time.

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
I'm ready for the PS4 myself. The current generation console graphics are looking really dated compared to the stuff I play on my decrepit PC and I'd welcome the increased processing power for new physics/AI.

I know I could just throw another PC together and hook it to my television but the huge cases clash with the decor in my living room and besides, there's nowhere near enough privacy in there. Nah, I'll take a console.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I still have a lot of games I want to get to on my PS3. However, I still want a new generation to come out sooner rather than later. It's probably going to be at least a year and a half before I get through all of the PS3 games I want to, and next generation consoles, even if they're released this year, will probably still only have a handful of games worth playing at that time (except possibly the WiiU). Plus, I primarily game on PC, so I'll still be able to play most of the games that come out on those systems.

So basically, I'm not going to buy a new console until it has a significant amount of exclusives that interest me (which won't happen for a year at least), and my current offerings will more than keep me entertained until then.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
southparkdudz said:
Next Gen, is anyone really done with their current consoles?
Yes, the developers. It seems that at least once every few months we get a news story about how the current consoles are holding the latest big game back, it's time to move on.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Oh hell no. I learned that buying an early console is a terrible idea as the game line up sucks but within a year you can buy a better version of said console with double the hard drive space. Besides, I have a MASSIVELY HUGE backlog that will keep me busy for ever and ever.

Maybe 2-3 years down the line.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
nope. i havnt even gotten around to buying a ps3 yet :p Many great games i have had to miss on that. I'll move onto that once the 360 is dead.

Plus new consoles are always expensive, and lack games. I'll probs just wait a few years like i did with the 360 until it establishes itself properly.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Not a case of not wanting as this gen is really holding the industry back. It's more a case of not really needing just yet. After been a PC only gamer since 2000 and only getting a 360 18 months ago I have alot to games to catch up on especially as I still want a PS3 to play Japanese games and Wipeout HD.

My plan is to buy a WiiU in 6-12 months after a price cut to take advantage of BC since I've already bought a few Wii games thinking my PC would be able to read the disks. Durango & PS4 I'm gonna wait it out for 2-3, I do try to support niche genres and devs like CAVE CO so whatever games they putout I'll buy at launch and buy whatever system they release on. I just hope that they don't plum for MS as I've had enough of their BS with the 360 and PC.

As for AAAs I'll buy what I can on PC to keep me busy but if the western industry continues on it's path of bland mediocrity It can all burn for all I care. Although Dragons Dogma and Dark Souls do give me a glimmer of hope that the industry can shake itself awake in the future.

The only thing that would make me jump onboard quicker is if any of the consoles nurtured a persistent MP community for Arcade games and niche titles, as online MP has passed me by this gen as all the games I want to play co-op are dead within a month (if they're lucky).

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Nope. I could go on for another five years with this hardware (Xbox/PS3). I place no value in graphics, so shinier games don't really do anything for me. But I guess it's the expense that I fear the most, I've already chosen the PS4, but the games, I want to know how much more they are going to be.

Pulse

Nov 16, 2012
Backlog:
arkham city
hitman absolution
twisted metal
farcry 3
max payne
dishonoured
cod blops 2
walking dead
demons souls