Next Gen, is anyone really done with their current consoles?

pure.Wasted

Oct 12, 2011
G3 said:
I don't think we need an upgrade in console power.

What we need is to keep pushing game innovation. It's not the quality of the graphics that will sell, but the decisions in the actual gameplay and the creativity in open-worlds and the stories and characters and puzzles and environmental experiments.

Look at PC computers. They do everything we need and more. Who really needs more RAM or memory? Barely anyone. They peaked. Our consoles rock, what will sell big is the next mashup of RPG and Action or MMO and "whatever". Push those limits first. If all we get out of a new console is another sequel and another sequel where the gameplay is virtually identical to the original (yeah, Halo, you listening?) what's the point? I'll go surfing instead.
Although I admire the sentiment, you're conflating two very separate ideas when you extrapolate from yourself to the masses. Quality of graphics will absolutely sell. Look no further than the Call of Duty franchise. You think they're raking in the big bucks thanks to... "decisions in the actual gameplay"?

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Oh man I just realized my entire PS3 backlog consists of PS2 HD-rereleases.
I'm not even done with last gen!

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
This is strange to me - this has been the longest generation in console history (even if you count the Wii U as next-gen), yet at the end of this generation, the majority opinion is still that everything is okay and we don't need new consoles.

I'm kind of looking at the current generation like a dead guy being propped up and walked around Weekend at Bernie's style.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I'm mainly a PC gamer, so the upgrades are not that big of a deal. I have a 360 I never play. I wouldn't mind the release so I could buy a PS3 at a cheaper price. I really want to play Ni No Kuni, but I am not paying over $200 for a system, plus $60 for the game, just to play that one game.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I'm not. I play my PS3 quite a bit and there are still games that I'm getting for it. For example I'm buying Sly 4 and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale sometime this month. Plus I've got Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix coming in the mail in March.

Heck I still play my PS2 religiously because it's such a great console. It would be nice to see what the new generation has in store for us, but so far the only one that seems to be winning my love back is the Wii U. Nintendo has been pulling at my hearts strings lately and they'll be doing the same for my wallet soon enough.

Jeremy Skitz

Jul 1, 2009
I scrolled through the thread looking for the 'generic pc gamer comment', i'm glad I wasn't dissapointed.

Things do have to change at some point I suppose, life isn't static after all. I don't really want to buy a new console, however, we are in a recession after all. Maybe I'll just stop playing games when the time comes, who knows.

G3

Feb 18, 2013
pure.Wasted said:
Although I admire the sentiment, you're conflating two very separate ideas when you extrapolate from yourself to the masses. Quality of graphics will absolutely sell. Look no further than the Call of Duty franchise. You think they're raking in the big bucks thanks to... "decisions in the actual gameplay"?
COD's an interesting example. My opinion is it is the online multiplayer experience/tactics/decisions that sell the title, not the quality of graphics.

Of course the graphics are great, so we get both.

But there are a few other combat shooters out there with similar quality, but just aren't as fun to play with friends. And of course Activision is going to continue to shove iteration after iteration of that thing down our throats until they get every last dime they can get. They already feel the same again, like the WW2 versions began to. I thought it had died once about 6 years ago but was dead wrong.

Arklyte

Oct 8, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Arklyte said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I've been playing on PC a lot lately and it's made me realise just how dated the current gen of consoles is.
PC's of the same generation(year) will always make console's look pityfull(after all high price diffirence isn't coming from thin air), but weren't we talking about consoles?
That's my point.
Console can't even push 1080p, and most games aren't even a above 30FPS.
I used to think none of that mattered, but after going from playing Skyrim on the 360 to playing it on a high end PC, the jump in quality is insane.
That's not to say I expect PC quality on next gen consoles, but at this point, the hardware is really outdated.
Less than 1GB of RAM is something that really hinders what games can do.
I know. It's quite funny to watch how console creators speak about the end of PC gaming while their own creations can't compete with midlevel PC's in terms of hardware and continue their existence only because of their lower price, "exclusives"(which are rarely worth their money) and someone's inabillity(or lack of need) to create a virtual system for consoles to run their games on PC. Not to mention their almost complete "useless... ness" beyound gaming. But isn't that what marketing is all about? People might not like it, but they will buy it anyway if you'll play your role right.

Apr 24, 2008
I am.

I've kept my ps3 handy for the last few games that might be of interest that I can't get on pc, and because it's a decent blu-ray player. 720p and long-ass loading times don't impress me.

I think it's time for new hardware.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
You are not going to get many people saying that they are done with the current console generation when the next one is not out yet and games are still being released. I will be done with the current consoles when the next ones start coming out and a few good games are on them.

pure.Wasted said:
The graphics are not what makes Call of duty sell so much.

pure.Wasted

Oct 12, 2011
Little Gray said:
The graphics are not what makes Call of duty sell so much.
Activision says "Hey guys we know you love our competitive gameplay, so for the next COD title we're going to make some improvements on that front that while scaling the graphics back to something like COD1."

Bioware says "Hey guys we know you love our great stories and characters, so for the next ME title we're going to make some improvements on that front while scaling the graphics back to something like KOTOR."

You think they sell the same number of copies? I think hypothetical COD tanks completely and utterly, while hypothetical ME becomes a cult classic at the VERY least.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
southparkdudz said:
Because I'm not. I still want to play my PS3 and 360, I don't want to invest in new consoles that are rumored to come out this fall the same time games liek GTA5 and the others are comign out for the PS3 and 360.
I haven't heard anything about the new consoles that didn't piss me off, personally. Always-on DRM and mandatory Kinect from Microsoft, PS3 game streaming from Sony rather than backwards compatibility (it's all the fun of always-on DRM, plus your games aren't even really yours anymore!). So far, I'm way more pumped for the Ouya than the next Xbox or the PS4. I may finally be driven to PC gaming, at this rate.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Should the Last Guardian, FF vs XIII, KH3 or something like that come along and be a launch title I will buy the fuck out of a ps4. Also, I think the ps4 is very likely to come out this year. If it's announced on the 20th, then that means they are primed to launch early november right in time for black friday.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
I'm done with consoles, to be honest. My Xbox 360 will be the last piece of shit gaming device I'll ever buy. I'm tired of exclusivity deals, I'm tired of subpar performances, I'm tired of reliability issues, and...I'm just tired of everything about the industry anymore.