Next Gen, is anyone really done with their current consoles?

southparkdudez

Feb 7, 2010
All I have to say is give me one more year with my current consoles and let the games that were delayed till this fall to come out then start showing the new consoles.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
I am not done with this gen yet. A lot of games are becoming more about showing off set pieces rather than actual immersive games, so I don't want to see what the next gen will look like. Besides, they don't need to look better than they do now.
As for the pc trolls here I would like to say that some people actually have jobs and don't need twelve hours a day dedicated to games, so the current gen is more than enough for me.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Brotha Desmond said:
I am not done with this gen yet. A lot of games are becoming more about showing off set pieces rather than actual immersive games, so I don't want to see what the next gen will look like. Besides, they don't need to look better than they do now.
but they need better AI and such...imprvments in visuals and the amoutn of stuff we an cram into gameworlds can create even better expereinces...also getting rid of the uncanny valley that said though next gen I'm not sure its going to be a giant leap graphically, though TBH they should focus more on making things "pretty" rather than "realistic"

[quote/]As for the pc trolls here I would like to say that some people actually have jobs and don't need twelve hours a day dedicated to games, so the current gen is more than enough for me.[/quote]
wha.....what?

please explain?

Remaiki

Jan 2, 2013
Well, I'm ready for whatever regarding console generations. I have a PC, and I'm not at all invested in any console, so... bring it on?

(Oh, and I express similar sentiments to Vault101 above. Explain, Brotha Desmond.)

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
Brotha Desmond said:
As for the pc trolls here I would like to say that some people actually have jobs and don't need twelve hours a day dedicated to games, so the current gen is more than enough for me.
PC troll here, I work 60 hours a week, I come home and play on my PC before I go to bed and repeat my said job for 6 days straight. I have had "Next-gen" for the last 2 years and it has been nice for the small amount of time I get to play. Far better range in game genres thanks to PC allowing Indie Devs to shine. It also allows me to avoid the bloat that is now crashed and burning.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Brotha Desmond said:
I think this AI needs improvements. So many spelling mistakes. I don't care if it was on purpose or not; ironically stupid is still stupid.
harr fucking harr, I have typos, I type fast..I think also your calling me stupid which seriosuly aint doing you any favors right now

again, its more than just graphics, and its honestly painful to watch this out dated hardware getting squeezed for all it has

[quote/]
Every pc gamer on this thread was trying so desperately to defend their stance on gaming platform.[/quote]
*sigh* no, were just kind of saying that consoles due to their very nature (and pecially the current ones who have been going on forever) are in many ways holding things back, we just want to move on

[quote/]They spend more time and money building their computers and modding games than is absolutely necessary.[/quote]
....wha? says who?..you? and what the fuck does that even mean? if you build a computer it takes some time...you cant half build it

do you even know what mods are and why people use them? I dont understand what your saying here bro

[quote/]Downsides to pc gaming includes, but not excluded to;[/quote]
wha?...were we talking about pc/vs console? because I dont think we were ,are you trying to have that argument with me?
[quote/]Having content not released for pc, pc is irrelevant to console industry, sometimes not having games being released on the pc.[/quote]
yeah that definetly sucks somtimes...but over this entire gen theres like one non-console exclusive game I was pissed that I didnt get (red dead redemption) as far as exclusives go there Infamosu which was amazing..other than that really not much worth getting..now granted thats subject to change but your looking at ALOT of games vs a few in the grand scheme of things

[quote/]Each has it's pros and cons; but since pc gamers don't play consoles you are not the ones being asked the question.[/quote]
I have a PS3 and quite a few others so have consoles for various reasons, though personally I think thats kind fo overkill

[quote/]So when you come in bragging about your $2000+ gaming rig[/quote]
no gaming rig needs to cost that much..about half is fine

[quote/]which is more than I spent on total gaming gear in the past 18 months,[/quote]
we have to buy a new gaming rig each year...oh no we don't . Anyway thats not including the console though, now lets say I already have the computer I'm actually spending less than you but HEY! just details

[quote/]yes I'll call you a troll with too much free time.[/quote]
which is pretty stupid isnt it? beause that itsnt based on any kind of reality but more this bizare idea of youve came up with in your head and thrown out as an insult in the same leuge as "ERMAGERD UR A LOSER AND LIVE IN UR MOMS BASEMENT LOLOLOLO"

real clever bro

Waykunbayk

Feb 27, 2011
I'm actually pretty gutted that the next gen is coming along already. I say 'already' because I've only just joined this generation - recently got a PS3 after 5 years with a Wii. Half a decade with Nintendo has made the last couple of months with my PS3 seem like a trip into the future. PS4 might be too much of a culture shock; I'm still reeling from the fact that my console can charge my controllers.

Honestly though, I'm more concerned about the growing backlog of classics collecting on my shelf. One more year before the next gen would be great, but I think publishers need to be (or at least give the impression of being) cutting edge, and this year's technology released next year would only further separate the PC games markets from the consoles.

Thommo

Feb 14, 2013
I am Probably going to do with this generation what i did with the last, which is wait until a game that i actually want comes out before i purchase it

Lucid_Camel

Feb 19, 2013
I plan on keeping my xbox 360 until they stop making games for it.Then ill be jumping ship and have a PC built, but not sure about how many games for it need that whole..online..YA u own this game now you can play it offline, thing. Kinda shot myself in the foot with Warhammer 40k: dawn of war 2 havnt touched it sense i got it Because the PC i do have isnt a gaming one,completed the game in an aweful nightmare of lag.Anyway short and sweet, not enough money to spend on the new consoles and even if they excreted gold lumps of godly new quality gaming experiences.Wouldn't get them the way Dlc and half finished full priced games that are coming out now. Oh and this is my 1st post..go me!

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
While I'm aware that the hardware does need to progress, I'm not ready for the current generation to be abandoned either. Admittedly my primary reason is because I don't want to buy a new console and it seems to look less appealing with every press release.

Once I have the money, I'm going to build myself a lovely high end gaming computer (with the help of some more tech-savvy friends)and I doubt I'll look back. I will probably inevitably end up buying a console again however if there are enough exclusives that I want.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Got a good few games that are still PS3 exclusive that I'l be wanting to play. Most anything else I can get on PC so no, I won't be getting the new stuff any time soon.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Posted here a page or three ago but just wanted to add another tid-bit which I don't remember mentioning before; Basically I'm not finished collecting and gaming with titles from the third generation of gaming and on (3rd generation being NES)...though admittedly I think I'm more focused on the 4th generation because I grew up with the Super Nintendo: NES was a bit before my time though I still try playing through NES games, failing most but still beating the two Zelda games.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
My PS3 is more or less used as a Netflix machine these days.
Looking forward to The Last of Us though.

Honestly I find it difficult to play games on the PS3 these days with the nauseating FOV, incredibly low FPS and the sheer amount of screen tearing and the non existent AA.
PC gaming has ruined me, despite owning a somewhat modest system.

I'm looking forward to see what the new generation of consoles will have in store, I won't be getting any at launch, but once the exclusive titles start to build up I'll throw money down on one.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I see this way:
I'll be waiting about a year AFTER the release of the PS4/Xbox^3 to get one, if I do.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Can't really say. I honestly can't see games getting much better in a really big way with a hardware upgrade. Hopefully we'll hit a wall with graphics and hardware in general and games can focus on better writing and.... well, just being better games in general.

Loading times can improve, and I guess textures popping in, but the latter doesn't bother me too much.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
pure.Wasted said:
Little Gray said:
The graphics are not what makes Call of duty sell so much.
Activision says "Hey guys we know you love our competitive gameplay, so for the next COD title we're going to make some improvements on that front that while scaling the graphics back to something like COD1."

Bioware says "Hey guys we know you love our great stories and characters, so for the next ME title we're going to make some improvements on that front while scaling the graphics back to something like KOTOR."

You think they sell the same number of copies? I think hypothetical COD tanks completely and utterly, while hypothetical ME becomes a cult classic at the VERY least.
I never said they were not important just that they are not the reason the games sell so many copies. Having decent graphics helps a lot when it comes to gameplay.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I ain't getting the consoles probably, but I'm happy that they'll come, so the PC games can be upgraded even further

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Done? Nope... I still have an extensive backlog to work through. And nothing increases a backlog from one generation like the release of a new one... so it might be getting even bigger as I wait for the new generation to come down to a reasonable cost (provided the next gen isnt filled with nothing but oppressive business models like always on internet, killing backwards compat by only allowing it via streaming, Or requiring you to give up your right to habeus corpus before you can turn on the system.

Its not the PC thats strangling the life out of consoles by always being ahead of the horsepower curve... its the manufacturers who are repulsing gamers with their increasingly unreasonable demands and expectations.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm pretty done with the Xbox 360. It's slow and it gets bad frame rates in pretty much all of the newer games when there are a lot of enemies on the screen at once. It's pushed its processing power as far as it can go and I'm completely ready for some new consoles.

Not that I'm actually going to buy the next Xbox, since Microsoft has already proved they're really moving in a direction I have no interest in, but my body is ready for the PS4 and the Steambox.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
I, for one, can't wait and see how shiny we're going to make the next series of turds.
Bring it on! Eventually the hardware will get to the point that the turds just can't be any shinier, and then people will finally realise they're just turds. I mean just look at what happened with CGI in movies! Oh wait...