Next Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
I hope it's just a timed exclusive I loved the reboot. Really stupid business decision to go exclusive imo.

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
got to admit this has pissed me off a bit. i can deal with exclusives but having a sequel exclusive when the original wasnt just seems like a dick move.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
What an intelligent decision. After they first whine the first game didn't sell enough, now they decide to make it exclusive to the Xbone, which is being outsold 3:1 or more by the PS4, and has none of their original fanbase since Tomb Raider started as a Playstation franchise.

F*ck them.

wolfehound22

Nov 18, 2013
I seen that, and it just blows my mind. I know exclusives happen, but usually they make some kind of sense, but this one is plan dumb. I mean great for Microsoft, but I don't see the logic from Square Enix. Ok I'm sure they got paid, but I remeber reading a story after the last one launch where Square Enix weren't happy with the sales, even though it sold well over a million. Well cutting out 2/3 of your potitial buyers seems like a bad way to make bigger sales. Also I can almost garantee that the PS4 and Xbox one release of Tomb raider that released earlier this year sold better on the PS4, simply due to a larger install base.

Perhaps in a year, MS will have a major rebound and be ahead of SOny in sales, but even with that I still do not see the logic in losing so many potitial sales.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
You know what game won't make me buy an Xbox One?

Tomb Raider.

You know what game I would play on PC, because I enjoyed its previous entry well enough?

Tomb Raider.

And the sales numbers don't lie, either, Tomb Raider 2013 sold far better on Playstation than it did on Xbox, so GG Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics. Thanks for proving to me once again that you don't want my money, it certainly helps me out.

Wulfram77

Dec 8, 2013
erbkaiser said:
What an intelligent decision. After they first whine the first game didn't sell enough, now they decide to make it exclusive to the Xbone, which is being outsold 3:1 or more by the PS4, and has none of their original fanbase since Tomb Raider started as a Playstation franchise.

F*ck them.
It's an intelligent decision for them if Microsoft sent them a large enough truck of money.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
You know what game I would play on PC, because I enjoyed its previous entry well enough?

Tomb Raider.
Don't worry, I'm sure this is an XBone exclusive as much as Titanfall, Dead Rising 3 & Ryse was.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
You know what game won't make me buy an Xbox One?

Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider.

And the sales numbers don't lie, either, Tomb Raider 2013 sold far better on Playstation than it did on Xbox, so GG Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics. Thanks for proving to me once again that you don't want my money, it certainly helps me out.
Yep, this guy gets it. Tomb Raider is worth thirty bucks to me, max. Not four-hundred and sixty bucks. These people are shooting themselves in the foot and then going to ***** about it later.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
I was a fan of the original series, but I actually liked the Tomb Raider reboot - was a good example of completely changing the formula of an established franchise but doing it well.
...But I'm not buying an XBox One. There's no franchise I like enough to spend hundreds on a console.

It's absurdly optimistic of them to think it will actually draw people to the console, rather than people simply abandoning the franchise. The old-school fans won't care because the new games changed the formula anyway, and the new ones aren't as invested in the series. This isn't an established exclusive franchise like Halo or Killzone, or even Zelda.

And I'd have thought after the Ryse fiasco that studios would be being even more careful around Microsoft and the XB1.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Ah well. We can look forward to the next reboot around 2020 or close to that, since it's pretty certain now there won't be a third Tomb Raider in this series.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Welp, guess they're not getting my money then. Even if it's a timed exclusive I won't buy it until it's on a sale, whereas if it wasn't exclusive I'd have bought it for full price as I actually liked the first one.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
tfw one of your favorite game series with 11 entries on the PC is suddenly not on the PC anymore

I don't understand the PR speak, either. How can you have one of the biggest franchises in gaming if over half your audience can't play the damn thing?

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Shut the fuck up you brought this on yourselves. Sorry, I wanted to get the pre-emptive STFU comment out of the way when Square-Enix inevitably starts bitching about the game not meeting its totally reasonable and not completely bullshit sales goals despite the fact that they voluntarily restricted themselves to the least adopted of current gen platforms. Obviously if this actually comes out for PS4 and PC later I would ammend my statement to simply: Shut the fuck up you brought this on yourselves.

wolfehound22

Nov 18, 2013
I due wonder if the fact Uncharted is releasing more than likely Holiday 2015 had anything to do with it. Perhaps let MS throw money at them for a times exclusive, let all the PS4 owners get their Uncharted fix, and then release it in the Spring on the PS4. Of course this doesn't make sense in regards to not releasing on the PC, and of course there is no word if this is going to be a timed exclusive.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
I am so pissed off right now. Well done, I'm sure you'll earn bajillion money like this, especially after you pissed of the entire fanbase.

I was so happy when they announced the sequel, but of course they have to do something to fuck everything up. The only thing left is to hope that it will be a timed exclusive.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
That is fucking bollocks. Time exclusive, fair enough it's shit but I get there eventually. A full-on exclusive, that shit I just can't abide.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Its still being published by Square right? So after complaining about how the first one 'didn't live up to expectations' they are going to make the sequel exclusive to the console that is currently behind the pack?

I can't imagine it will stay exclusive for too long.

j4c0b1

Jun 9, 2014
I was looking forward to the new tomb raider (pretty much the only game I was looking forward to), but it seems square enix don't want my money, I would rather have someone drill into my teeth with a hand drill than buy and Xbox one.

Even from a purely business sense this doesn't work, if the last game had disappointing sales, how on earth is giving it to the one of the worst selling system of the generation. I hope Microsoft paid you a fortune square because you've just lost thousands of sales.

Also is it bad that I first read about this on BBC news, despite having both the escapist and RPS open at the time

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
Yesterday I was skimming through a thread on these forums which had a debate regarding the impact on gaming if Microsoft left the industry altogether. A few people said we need Microsoft to provide competition and force everyone else to up their game. Fair point. Now we see the other side of it.

If this is the kind of thing Microsoft is going to do now to try and *force* people to buy their failed machine, then in my mind, the sooner the Xbone dies, the better.

Make your own exclusives? Fine. I have no emotional investment, but if they look good enough I might be tempted. Buy a long time multi-format franchise and make it exclusive? That's just wrong. Its punishing a huge percentage of the existing fanbase.

The only ray of light I can see is Dead Rising 3 and Ryse getting released on PC after being "exclusive", so hopefully Tomb Raider will be the same. If it wasn't for that, I'd be seriously raging right now (and I am generally quite calm).

I am totally in the mood for an emergency Jimquisition right now ;)