Next Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive

WildFire15

Jun 18, 2008
Bizarre as this decision seems to me (not that it bothers me as I have an Xbox One and looking forwards to RotTR), I can't help but find it amusing that this is kicking up a shit storm, while Bloodborne's exclusivity to PS4 is absolutely fine. Even if the PS4 has hit 10 million to Xbox One's 3.3 million (rough guess, seeing as they say PS4 is 3:1 at the moment in sales), there's not a compelling business reason to make a game exclusive if you're not a first/second party developer.

m19

Jun 13, 2012
AMD Mantle supports 'Rise of The Tomb Raider'. So there is strong indication that it will be on PC. Here is proof:

http://videocardz.com/51018/exclusive-upcoming-games-support-mantle

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Zhukov said:
Seriously though, I can't imagine what led them to think that this is a good business move.
Because it is. It's obviously a timed exclusive. Which means they get the money from Microsoft, they get money from sales, and then when they announce it for PS4 and PC they'll get that money too. Because gamers, as history has shown, are weak willed creatures. Give them a few extra trinkets to play with and they'll forget all about your evil past.
but IS it though? I mean eveyoneis just "well yeah of coarse" because the alernative would be WTF on cataclysmic levels

but they actually said at least in the thing I read that it wasn't timed but an honest to god exclusive...so....yeah

if thats true though

WHAT THE ACTUAL TAP-DACING FUCK?

is this real life? what universe did I fall into?

kaioshade said:
Seems there have been some updates. Not confirmed yet, but there are some reports that it is indeed a timed exclusive.
Definitely going to keep an eye on this one.
I should FUCKING think so

kaioshade said:
A lot of people are saying timed exclusivity only because of Ryse and Dead Rising 3. There is no absolute certainty that Tomb Raider will be timed, it may never leave the Xbox One. I could also be dead wrong, no one knows.
honestly I don't think its even that...I think its such a counter-intuitive baffling decision that we're all assuming it will go multiplatform just for the sake of the universe making sense...me? I'm thining 50/50 (for PC at least) who knows...the universe may be a dick this one time afterall

Gordon_4 said:
That is fucking bollocks. Time exclusive, fair enough it's shit but I get there eventually. A full-on exclusive, that shit I just can't abide.
esepcially since its the last game you'd really expect to go that way...

Mcoffey said:
And now it's a steam sale purchase. Oh well.
I'm not sure I understand

are you assmuing "Xbone exclusive" automatically means it will be on PC?

exclusive means exclusive to one platform....thats what theyre saying it is, not on PC

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Kinda irked. I don't, and won't likely get an xbone.

I know someone will use it's lack of sales as an excuse against female protagonists and blame it all on the female protagonist, ignoring everything else. Coz that's what the industry does, and that's what people do, and the people that defend this shit expect me to be happy about it for some reason.

Tomb Raider was, at a time, PS3's top downloaded game. It might not have brought in CoD/Gta bucks but goddamn, not much will.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
WildFire15 said:
Bizarre as this decision seems to me (not that it bothers me as I have an Xbox One and looking forwards to RotTR), I can't help but find it amusing that this is kicking up a shit storm, while Bloodborne's exclusivity to PS4 is absolutely fine. Even if the PS4 has hit 10 million to Xbox One's 3.3 million (rough guess, seeing as they say PS4 is 3:1 at the moment in sales), there's not a compelling business reason to make a game exclusive if you're not a first/second party developer.
Let me put it this way. There isn't this sort of fervor over Quantum Break or, to the same extent, even Sunset Overdrive, because the understanding is that Microsoft has, at least, had a heavy financial hand in terms of making the games exist at all. Basically, the studios are using Microsoft as a publisher, and its resources to help fund their development. The same goes for Bloodborne, as not only does Sony have a financial hand in its creation, but Sony Japan Studios is also collaborating with From Software on the title, pooling resources and expertise to bring about its very existence.

This, on the other hand, seems to have Square Enix as a publisher, and the title was in development before Microsoft came along; meaning that, rather than contributing to the existence of the game, Microsoft's money is literally JUST giving Square Enix a 'safety net' of cash, and restricting potential sales of a game that would have been released anyway without their involvement.

Combine the fact that, from the very beginning, Bloodborne was announced as a Sony exclusive, whereas Rise of the Tomb Raider was a bit more... er... vague during and after E3. (It was listed as an exclusive, for a time, on the Xbox front page, but neither Crystal NOR Microsoft really made any big announcement to this fact.) This means that, for a time, gamers on the other platforms were probably quite cheerfully thinking about how they were looking forward to this title... which was probably the point. Microsoft probably figured if they kept the exclusivity quiet for awhile, when they announced 'The Big Twist,' people would be so enamoured with the game by that point, they'd buy the console to own it.

That plan... appears to have backfired. <_<;

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SeventhSigil said:
This means that, for a time, gamers on the other platforms were probably quite cheerfully thinking about how they were looking forward to this title... which was probably the point. Microsoft probably figured if they kept the exclusivity quiet for awhile, when they announced 'The Big Twist,' people would be so enamoured with the game by that point, they'd buy the console to own it.
Sooo.....

if I walk up to some cute girl and slap her in the face...she'll want to date me?

....LOGIC!!

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Vault101 said:
SeventhSigil said:
This means that, for a time, gamers on the other platforms were probably quite cheerfully thinking about how they were looking forward to this title... which was probably the point. Microsoft probably figured if they kept the exclusivity quiet for awhile, when they announced 'The Big Twist,' people would be so enamoured with the game by that point, they'd buy the console to own it.
Sooo.....

if I walk up to some cute girl and slap her in the face...she'll want to date me?

....LOGIC!!
I never said it was a GOOD plan. xP It's literally the only thing I can think of that would explain why they thought this delayed announcement tactic was, in any POSSIBLE point of view, in any universe in existence, a good thing.

Well, the alternative is that the deal for exclusivity was made AFTER E3, but that would mean that Square Enix watched Titanfall apparently underperform as an Xbox exclusive, Ryse underperform as an Xbox exclusive, God only knows about Dead Rising 3 or Forza, and decided; "Yeah, i wanna piece of THAT action." xP So we basically either have Microsoft making a really stupid, boneheaded, short-sighted and ultimately insane decision, or Squeenix making a really stupid, boneheaded, short-sighted and ultimately insane decision.

...oh who am I kidding, the answer is probably 'All Of The Above.' >_<

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
I wonder what they mean by "exclusive"..

I mean, it seems that every game that comes out "exclusively" on the XBone gets a PC release...

Dead Rising
Titanfall
Ryse was just announced for PC I think....

So, yeah, I'm not too fussed...
Didn't play Tomb Raider (20013) (I think it was released in 2013) and I will most likely not play this one...
But, yeah, I wonder how "exclusive" it will really be...
ha
ha

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
wolfehound22 said:
Well cutting out 2/3 of your potitial buyers seems like a bad way to make bigger sales.
it's probably more than 2/3s. The Xbox One has a terrible sales rate compared to the PS4. Even if you stick to current gen and exclude Wii U (because the last game did too), PC and PS3 are probably over 2/3 of the remaining market. And that's a lot of caveats.

The only way this is a good move is if Microsoft paid them good money, because while Tomb Raider was a good game, I can't imagine ROTTR being a significant console seller.

But, as you point out, they were disappointed by the sales of TR2013, and I can't imagine such a deal being capable of offsetting the shift.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
They weren't happy with the with the sales of TR even though it was one of the top selling games so they cut out the majority of their fan-base and release it only for the Xbox which I'm fairly sure was the system it sold the least on? brilliant plan that. MS must have offered them a shit ton a cash.
Although they probably won't need anywhere near the sales the first one did because I can't imagine they managed to piss away that much cash again (pleas don't prove me wrong Crystal Dynamics).

I'm disappointed but there is no way in hell I'm getting an Xbox. I bet they are going to end up releasing it for the PC anyway.

kaioshade

Apr 10, 2011
Confirmed this morning to be a timed exclusive. Life can go on for people.
Maybe the meltdowns can cease now.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Anti-Robot Man said:
I hope it's just a timed exclusive I loved the reboot. Really stupid business decision to go exclusive imo.

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update
Eh, don't care. Didn't like the reboot game enough to want to play the sequel. I wanted to like it, I really did, I just didn't. So yeah, Xbox 1 can keep it exclusively, I wouldn't have bought it anyway.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Timed exclusives are also a good way to kill hype and interest.
For instance, I would gladly have paid full price for GTA on day one if it had been available on PC.
Now, I don't really care anymore. Doubt I'll even get it once it does become available.

Same with Tomb Raider 2.
I'll probably have lost interest in the game(partly due to unavoidable spoilers from forums and other gaming sites, partly because it's 99% likely to be a shitty port) by the time it's finally "ported".

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Cat's out of the bag: Rise of the Tomb Raider is only a timed exclusive.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-microsoft-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Bonk4licious

Jul 5, 2013
DarkhoIlow said:
Cat's out of the bag: Rise of the Tomb Raider is only a timed exclusive.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-microsoft-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph
Yeah, Microsoft has had a problem this generation with defining the word "exclusive," just like their ad campaign with Call of Duty and other multi-platform titles labeled as "exclusive."

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
Jokes on them... I never cared about the Tomb Raider franchise in the first place.

But in all seriousness, it is just Microsoft blatantly paying Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics an exclusivity deal. Now you can say that they want to focus on one console to get the game working its best but why make it exclusive to the console that is selling less and that the previous game underperformed by Square Enix's standards in the first place. An earlier post on the first page even said that PS3 versions outsold the 360 versions so I (and many others) can't help but think that Microsoft bought the game's exclusivity whether its for a few months or permanent or they just say "fuck it! Release the game on PS4!" a year or 2 down the line.