Next Transformers Film Won't Be A Reboot

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
SvenBTB said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Well, at least now Bay can be free from the chains of this atrocious franchise.

Whatever else happens to it is none of my concern.
Umm... seeing as he's the director, isn't HE the reason it's atrocious?

Not trying to be a dick or anything btw, but just saying.
Well, his movies don't constitute all of the franchise, really. Also, he is not well-suited for that sort of thing, so there's that.

utopaline

Jan 28, 2011
the.gill123 said:
I don't care, get a new bloody writting staff on board, thats all this franchise needs.
Dark of the Moon was a COMPLETELY different writer than the first 2.

Feb 13, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
So how did it jump out of the genre? It's still an adventure movie isn't it? It's not like the aliens suddenly made it sci-fi or anything. I mean Bond made a rather radical (and lame) turn lately, but was Indy 4 also such a radical turn?
Because Indy is Pulp Action. You'd get similar problems with having Global Corporations, The Mafia, Robots or Pop Stars.

Dinosaurs? Fine. Nazi Dinosaurs? Double Fine. American Dinosaurs? Nope. Unless they were comic relief.
Because THE ALLIES ARE THE GOOD GUYS. DINOSAURS ARE MONSTERS. CUTE MONSTERS CAN BE GOOD GUYS.

Like Omechron said above, it'd be like Vampires in Alien vs. Predator. Or Robots in Fantasy.

You can break those rules.

(Bubo in Clash of the Titans), but you have to be extra-careful to re-assert the rules or else suspension of disbelief breaks.
That's not a robotic bird, that's jewelery brought to life.

Big difference. (Semantically, hardly any. Genre-wise, huge)

See http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TwoFistedTales​

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Schmittler said:
Wha? What?

Where do they even go from there? They could do a prequel, but that would contradict the whole "It won't be all bots" thing. The ending seemed pretty final, does anyone else feel the same way?
Where could they go? Quite a lot of places actually.

There are many more Decepticon leaders such as Cyclonus, they could easily recover Megatrons body and create this badass psycho

Plus we haven't even see the Ariel Bots or Menasor.

There will be more, oooooooh god there will be more.

TheMightyBill

Feb 17, 2011
-Samurai- said:
monnes said:
Are you implying the films have depth?

I didn't even like the original cartoon, and wasn't at all wishing for a live action remake. I also didn't want a Transformers film about bland shallow people. If you're going to make a transformers film with shallow and unrelateable characters, at least have them be the actual transformers.
In the first movie, Sam is trying to start a relationship with with someone he's had his eye on for quite some time.
In the second movie, he's struggling to keep that relationship, and himself, alive, and trying to adjust to life away from home and being on his own.
In the third movie,
he's trying to move on and find his place on Earth, while struggling to maintain his new relationship, and trying to make something of himself. He's also dealing with the potential loss of friends, through death or exile, and trying to deal with growing apart from his best friend.

If you can't relate to any of that, I pity you.
And with all that, and the robot sub-plot, which contains inner and outer struggles with each character, comes depth.
In the first movie, Sam objectifies women, believeing that all he needs is a nice car to steal Mikaela from her boyfriend (even if that boyfrined is a jerk). So, in order to give her a ride home, he completely ditches his at-that-point best friend, and we never see that character again.

In the second movie, Sam cheats on his girlfriend - Don't even talk about the fem-bot thing, I'm talking about the standing plot without the robots - Then the robots become too plot heavy for character relatability.

Then in the third movie
He wins a british girlfriend (Who we first see from a very... target-audienced angle) by showing off his giant-robot-related Medal and then almost immediatly stresses that relationship by being a total prick about having a normal life - again, don't mention the Robots, this is just from the without robots view - until he gets a job working in a comic-relief-character-home disguised as an office. Then he gets possesive of 'his girl' and would probably have ended up assaulting her boss (if he wasn't totally a decepticon agent).

without the giant robots, the relatability of Sam is so low that, if forced to watch that movie, people may end up pretending his car is a hilarious character despite the lack of transformers.
Sam would be a prick, Sam's love interests would just be tits'n'ass, and the series would probably get a trilogy anyway, because people like tits'n'ass

The 'inner and outer struggles of each character' comes down to about fifteen comic relief characters (who had no struggle other than 'giant robots are scary'), a few unimportant characters and we're left with Shia Labeouf's character, Rachel Taylor's character and maybe Josh Duhamel's character. and two of them aren't in the second or third movies enough to be worth mentioning

Depth, thy name is Bay

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
viranimus said:
Yeah This does in fact make me optimistic the abscence of Bay and Ladouche.

However, I dont think its really possible to make #4 and not have it be a reboot considering

Starscream, Soundwave, Shockwave, and Megatron, all basically die

So who would be left? The next film would have to take a way off course approach.

Actually what I think more than anything needs to happen is the film needs to be delayed for a couple of years While a new canon can be built that clarifies all the various conflictions of the series, and rebuilds the franchise with some sort of solid foundation. Then a new film based on that refined and logical canon would be most welcome.
As i stated, there are more Decepticon Leaders, all the need to is recover Megatron's Body and Create Galvatron.

There are many roads the Movies can take now...but i bet we will see Galvatron next...or at least Cyclonus.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
"What happens next? Certainly not a reboot. We haven't lost the Transformers. They didn't grow up or become expensive like Toby Maguire. I don't know what happens next. I'm pretty sure there will be a second trilogy. I am pretty sure it will kick ass. And I am pretty sure some of you will hate it because it wasn't all bots."What an ass-face. I've only seen the most recent Transformers, but I just love watching people pretend it isn't a terrible shitty waste of time. It's not that "it wasn't all bots". It's that the "bots" as written are stupid and pathetic. And I have to watch Shia Lebeouf (or whatever) ruin already corny jokes and cry like a ***** over his shallow slut of a girlfriend. Meanwhile, random army guys run around doing something stupid. And all that goes on for hours. So do I want that, or a larger-than-life space opera featuring giant killing machines with emotions? What do you think?

I cannot believe the mental gymnastics that go into justifying a movie called Transformers that's only tangentially connected to Transformers. This is an absolute miracle of modern shitty film making and Micheal Bay is the lord of unwatchable movies.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
arc1991 said:
As i stated, there are more Decepticon Leaders, all the need to is recover Megatron's Body and Create Galvatron.

There are many roads the Movies can take now...but i bet we will see Galvatron next...or at least Cyclonus.

Ehh Galvatron maybe, (personally liked galvatron better than Megatron, but Galvatron was a lot weaker than megatron because his nemesis was Rodimus, who invariably was a weaker opponent than optimus. ) Cyclonus was barely what one might consider a general, not much in the way of leader. Plus, if they go that route you pretty much either have to do the whole Unicron series, which would not be done justice, or completely step on the canon of the franchise, which god knows has been walked on more than the doormat at the local motel 6

Honestly, with the transformers canon in such shambles a "reboot" if they congeal all the conflicting story archs is not really a bad thing.

EDIT: Perhaps they could come out of left field and give Thunderwing or Scorponok a shot at holding it. I just dont know if I can see either of them holding the same sway as megatron or galvatron.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
How about an "Origins" reboot: How did Cybertron and the Transformers come into being and how did the Autobot/ Decepticon divide emerge? What happened before the days of Optimus Prime/ Megatron?

Obviously, this would be a CGI heavy movie....with no people in it....unless, of course, human life does not only exist on Earth and we "uncivilised Earthfolk" have space faring brethren.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
[HEADING=1]WHY?[/HEADING]

You WON'T reboot this monstrousity but you'll reboot anything that has even an ounce of artistic merit yet?

Do you have any conscience? Oh wait...do News International own you?
Agreed. Just... why? You'll take the writer of this horseshit to write a remake of fucking Videodrome , which was brilliant, by the way, but no, this is fine. We'll just take our jokes about "Deep Wang" and the like and stay the course. No tweaking required.

What the hell kind of skewed, ass-backward priorities do these people have? For Christ's sakes, people...

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
utopaline said:
the.gill123 said:
I don't care, get a new bloody writting staff on board, thats all this franchise needs.
Dark of the Moon was a COMPLETELY different writer than the first 2.
Well not quite, he wasn't involved in the first one, but was brought in for the second, he was the one who created those anoying racist transformers, and he was the sole writer for the third. So I'm saying get rid of him, and anyone else who was involed in the script, since there is always a writting staff somewhere, and employ someone who can actually write, and has a track record with writing decent films, how about Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor, they couldn't write anything worse.

Wulfclaw

Dec 20, 2009
Canadish said:
-Samurai- said:
I never understood the whole "not enough robots" complaint. The movie happens on Earth, and is about a young man that happens to discover a robot alien, and his adventures that follow. It isn't about a bunch of giant robots fighting each other. That's the sub plot, and I think that it was worked into the movie well.

Having just seen Transformers 3 about an hour ago, I can safely say that I don't know where they'd go with it. The ending seemed pretty final, and I'm not sure what they could to top this one. It was freaking amazing.
That's the problem people had with it.
The movie is called Transformers. They wanted a movie about the Transformers, and not some bratty kid who wants to get laid.
War for Cybertron and all that. That should have been written as the main plot and Sam as the side character.

That would justify the "leave your brain at the door" argument for me. Sadly I have to sit through 2 hours of fluff and awful masturbation jokes. Not worth it.

Last time I checked, nobody _forced_ you or anyone to watch a movie with plot elements you or anyone don't like.

What I mean: In the first 2 movies it's pretty much solidified, that it's "Transformers on Earth with Humans" and not "Transformers fighting alone against Transformers". Should there really be people who thought the third movie of the trilogy will magically turn into something the first two movie were not?

As a side note: the main plot is not about Sam getting laid (that is trying to give him something like depth) and this argument is pretty stale because is just polemic and not factoid.

Enough people liked the new Transformers, but that !!doesn't take away the media that exists with the original Transformers!!. Everyone may like what they like.

Personally I like both. The new one have a certain fresh and actiony appeal to me, the Originals have a rich environment. I can't really explain it. :)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Why not sell the licence and make a trilogy with the transmorphers? These people never cared about the actual source material in the first place, why not just use cheaper versions and give the license to people that deserve it? At least they got rid of Bay...

Let me explain my stance on the Transformers franchise. I never watched the comics, I know nothing of the source, I think Megan Fox is quite attractive, and I've watched and hated the first two films for a simple reason. They sucked.
They didn't have too many humans, the robots weren't ruined, it was horridly written because it was simply badly written.
It didn't have too much action or explosions, it was an offence to all directing because it was simply the worst direction I've ever seen.

Schmittler

Aug 4, 2010
koroem said:
Schmittler said:
Wha? What?

Where do they even go from there? They could do a prequel, but that would contradict the whole "It won't be all bots" thing. The ending seemed pretty final, does anyone else feel the same way?
Nope. They could go into the Unicron saga. This could also lead the resurrection of Megatron as Galvatron. The Matrix of Leadership which Optimus now has in the movies was a key part of a Unicron saga. It could be reimagined for the movies.

Also they could introduce dark energon to the movies. Dark energon has the power to corrupt and mutate Transformers, and in a couple of plots Megatron used it to create armies or corrupt Cybertron itself. It is some pretty powerful stuff in the TF universe, and Megatron was one of the only surviving Transformers able to control it. Perhaps they could use that to bring Megatron back somehow for more.
I suppose that's true, but then that's a whole other "Let's bring him back to life" plot, which has already been a major part of almost all of the movies. It's like a free ticket to make more movies and generate more cash, which is the way I fear, and know, that the industry would choose to do. If it were to really flesh out the universe in a unique way and make a really good movie, that would be great, but if it's just bringing bad guys back so there are bad guys to fight, I don't like it. Obviously just my opinion, though.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I would probably die laughing if it was revealed that, replacing Michael Bay as director, was Uwe Boll. I can only imagine the fandom's reaction.