Next UMvC3 Costume Pack Delayed, Magneto Dropped

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Next UMvC3 Costume Pack Delayed, Magneto Dropped

Not only has the next Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 downloadable costume pack been delayed, it seems to have lost a character.

Originally scheduled for release on December 20, the "Ancient Warrior" DLC pack for Capcom's Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 was to include new costumes for Arthur, Firebrand, Hulk and Magneto. As of this morning however, that is no longer the case.

Per Capcom's official blog [http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2011/12/19/ultimate_mvc3_ancient_warrior_costume_pack_delayed_until_march_6]:

The next scheduled release, "Ancient Warrior Pack," will actually arrive later than expected, moving from December 20 to March 6 in the US and March 7 in Europe.

When it arrives early next year, the pack will not contain Magneto as previously stated. This will bring the costume count for the Ancient Warrior pack down to three, retaining Firebrand, Arthur and Hulk. We'll announce pricing details closer to launch.

Delays are to be expected from time to time, but dropping a character entirely? That's weird. Looking into the matter, we discovered that the costume in question (which is based on Magneto's appearance in Marvel Comics' "House Of M" series) bears a striking resemblance to the official royal uniform of Spanish king Juan Carlos and that since the costume was revealed it has caused a stir in the European nation [http://shoryuken.com/2011/11/25/magneto-dlc-outfit-coming-to-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-stirs-up-controversy-in-spain/].

Though Capcom's original message mentions no specific reason for dropping Magneto from the DLC line-up, I sent an email to Capcom asking if the Spanish controversy was the impetus behind this decision.

Moments ago I got word back reiterating the original delay message and offering a bit of rationale for the move:

The Ancient Warrior Pack originally set to release on December 20th is delayed and will now be released on March 6th in the US and Japan (March 7th for EU and Asia). This pack features new costumes for Arthur, Firebrand and Hulk and will release in March without Magneto's alternate costume due to various factors.

For your question regarding the King of Spain's costume and if it was one of the reasons why Magneto was pulled, the official answer we have for you is, yes that was one of the factors.

So there you go. Capcom would rather avoid an international incident. That makes sense both financially and diplomatically. Now if we can only convince the company that Pippa Middleton is a huge fan of Mega Man, maybe we'll finally see the Blue Bomber in Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
:/ Wait, what? How long ago was it that UMvC3 came out? They're already releasing DLC for it?

I mean, I know this is standard Capcom practice, but come on!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Lame alternate costume anyway. I'm sure they can come up with something better for Magneto.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hmm... was this outfit not available as a preorder bonus already? I know for certain that some were and I thought all were available from one store or the other but I could be wrong. If it was already available for some players, that will make it extra unfortunate if it gets removed. Either way, it's a bad ass costume.

Edit: Just did a quick search. It appears that the Ancient Warriors pack was not one of those available as a pre order bonus. Three others, however, were.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
It is a shame that they aren't just altering the costume, ignoring Spain or just leaving him out of the Spanish releases.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
GreatTeacherCAW said:
The Great JT said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
...maybe we'll finally see the Blue Bomber in Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3.
Y'mean like we should have from the beginning?
Save it. They put Zero in the game, which is basically just a roided out version of Mega Man. If you put Mega Man in now, he'd just look like a little *****.
That's a bit harsh.
What I find ironic is that they wanted to avoid spamming characters yet looking at Rocket Raccoon,I kinda ask myself Why wouldn't Megaman work for this game again?

And for Christ sakes can we stop with the whole "you got Zero. You should be happy argument"?
People act like we should be groveling at capcoms feet and thanking them for even mentioning the Blue Bomber.

Almost as bad as Nintendo not releasing Mother 3 on the N64

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Hey Capcom I heard the King of Spain say he'd really be offended if you left out Megaman a second time

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Oh, so does that mean we can all say goodbye to Shuma Gorath's Hitler costume?

Ok, ok. Maybe Capcom's right about this one. That still doesn't mean I like them back. We all know Megaman should have been added from day 1. I don't care if he looks like a pussy next to Zero or Dante or whatever. I could say the very same thing about half of the characters and someone could still find a way to counter my argument. Point is, he was fan requested, so what the hell, Capcom?

While we're at it, bring MML3 back. Or add MML's Mega Man. Just sayin'.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Madara XIII said:
Hey Capcom I heard the King of Spain say he'd really be offended if you left out Megaman a second time

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

ALL OF MY HATRED!!

*Ahem* Let's try that again: Too bad Maggy ain't gonna get that classy uniform, even sadder he ISN'T going to get a new skin period. Weird.

EDIT: Wait a minute. Oh, you said that. I thought you said The king would be pissed if you left him out. My bad.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Fappy said:
Lame alternate costume anyway. I'm sure they can come up with something better for Magneto.
That his House of M costume where in that alternative reality (made by Scarlett Witch) he did become the supreme ruler of mutant race and the US.
Still I like it, he look good in a suit.

Rauten

Capitalism ho!
Apr 4, 2010
Wow. That's not a "Striking resemblance"; That's a goddamn verbatim copy!! No wonder our royal house is pissed off! Mind you, I couldn't care less myself, but I can certainly understand why the royal house ain't exactly happy. Although it would be pretty goddamn awesome to go around beating the X-Men as my King.

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
Can we forget the Megaman controversy? He isn't even that big of a character. Numbers in fact back me up on it. Within just Capcom, he's only their third highest selling IP, which is pathetic considering he has up and beyond the most published games within the company.

His individual tittles don't sell that much either. He doesn't even reach the top 20 individual title sales.

Megaman is no where near as big or popular as his fanbase makes him out to be, and the fact that journalist continue to latch onto the controversy is frankly quite appalling and bad journalism. I guess Capcom is the new Nintendo where journalist are going to pander to the audiences by reaffirming their baseless cries.