Next Wolverine Movie Is An Experiment, Says Director

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Next Wolverine Movie Is An Experiment, Says Director

The Wolverine director, Darron Aronofsky, thinks that the producers and the studio don't realize how much of a gamble they're taking.

Movies about reclusive mathematical geniuses, drug addicts and aging wrestlers might not sound like a great foundation for directing a superhero movie, but director Darren Aronofsky says that that's actually part of the reason that he's so excited about making The Wolverine.

Aronofsky said that he was eager to find out whether the way he makes films is compatible with something like a superhero movie. He said that usually the only person that really wanted to make his movies was him, so the experience of working on a project where everyone was excited about making it was a new one for him. He added that Fox had taken a big chance in hiring, and thought that it perhaps wasn't aware of just how "gutsy" a decision it was.

He also offered a few snippets of information about what we can expect from the finished film. He reiterated that it was a standalone movie with no links to the previous X-Men or Wolverine movies, and said that it wouldn't be the kind of film where things were exploding every five minutes.

I'm actually quite excited about this movie because it sounds like Aronofsky wants to do more with the character of Wolverine than have him slice up things with his claws. A tale of forbidden love and the bitter feud it causes, from a director with an eye for making dark, thoughtful pieces could be the best superhero movie ever made.

Source: Blastr [http://blastr.com/2010/11/wolverines-aronofsky-warns-fox-doesnt-know-how-gutsy-they-are.php]

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Same here, though I swear it's like they're trying to only write wolverine's LIFE STORY on the span of like...5-6 movies, depending on the other one that they planned out sometime ago...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
reclusive mathematical geniuses, drug addicts and aging wrestlers
So we're going to see the guy from Numb3rs, House and Hulk Hogan team up?

Awesome.

I'm gonna remain open about this but I'm not getting my hopes up. Comic book movies have been too hit-and-miss before to do anything else.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Need I remind you that it was the director of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon that tried to make Hulk into a movie? Look how well that turned out!

Oh yeah, let's also not forget that it was Steven Spielberg (E.T., Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan) AND George Lucas who made Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Experiment when you're in film school or working on your own personal Clerks. Once you hit this point you shouldn't be taking gambles, you should be putting your attention into making a good film.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Oh God I hope it's just as out there as The Fountain. In fact, if they just rerelease The Fountain except he has Wolverine hair this time, it'll be great.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
I dont know it could fail but it also could succeed. As long they ignore X3 and Origins everything is fine by me.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Here's hoping it crashes and burns.
Marvel could do so much more with X-Men back in the repertoire. It seems Spiderman may follow.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Super excited about this.

The Fountain is basically one of the most beautiful films ever made, with a storyline that is both deceptively simple and with astonishing depth, and The Wrestler was a marvellous character piece. Here's to hoping this wonderful director can merge his strange genius with a story about a dude with claws.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
Strain42 said:
Experiment when you're in film school or working on your own personal Clerks. Once you hit this point you shouldn't be taking gambles, you should be putting your attention into making a good film.
Aronofsky does make good films. Every single film he's made has been good. I think the "experiment" he's discussing in this interview is applying the way he makes films to superhero movies, and by that he means exactly what he says: making a superhero movie where things don't explode every five minutes and there's real emotional depth.

True, we got that in The Dark Knight, so I hesitate to say that this is the first time it's ever been done, but Aronofsky definitely brings a different flavor of film-making to the table. Where Nolan is deliberate and intense, Aronofsky is more contemplative and meandering, making his characters think and emote without getting whiney and weak.

This fits Wolverine perfectly, so I'm glad to see Aronofsky take on the character and I cannot wait until it comes out, especially given they're basing it on Miller's incredible story that pretty much is everything we love about Wolverine.

In fact, I wouldn't be upset if he decided that Mickey Rourke or even Jackie Earl Haley would make a better Wolverine than Hugh Jackman. In fact, I *really* wouldn't mind if he ended up making a sequel, with Haley's Wolverine going up against Rourke's Sabertooth. That would pretty much be the most awesome casting ever.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Amnestic said:
reclusive mathematical geniuses, drug addicts and aging wrestlers
So we're going to see the guy from Numb3rs, House and Hulk Hogan team up?
It'll be more awesome if they have to fight each other!

Like literally the guy from Numb3rs, Dr. House, and Hulk Hogan have to have a fight to the death, every man for himself.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I would think that Marvel wouldn't greenlight this after what Ang Lee did to the first "Hulk" movie.

No offense, but arthouse directors and super heroes don't play well together. :p

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
as much as I love the Wolverine character, and even Wolverine Origins (hey bub, Hugh Jackman is the man)...eh we'll see. this seems kinda out of the blue for me

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
I'm not a wolverine or Xmen fan but I liked The Wrestler and the first Hulk movie (runs away) so I think this is interesting...

::HIDES::

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
I'll more than likely give it a shot, thanks to the fact I get to see most movies at the theater for free, but I have a bad feeling about this.