Next World of Warcraft Patch Announced Before Legion Launch, Takes Players Back to Karazhan

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Next World of Warcraft Patch Announced Before Legion Launch, Takes Players Back to Karazhan

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1344/1344014.jpgEven though World of Warcraft's Legion expansion isn't out yet, but Blizzard is already showing off the content that will be coming after the launch.

World of Warcraft: Legion won't launch until August 30, but Blizzard announced the first post-expansion patch at Gamescom yesterday. The patch is titled "Return to Karazhan," and will feature the Burning Crusade-era raid returning as a five-man dungeon with all nine original bosses. Unlike some of WoW's dungeon updates, the new Karazhan won't replace the old one. The old 10-man level 70 raid will still exist, and players will still be able to run it or farm it.

There's more in patch 7.1 than just Karazhan, though. There's a small raid that falls between The Emerald Nightmare and The Nighthold. This raid will wrap up the Stormheim story. You can also expect to see new Suramar outdoor content that will push the Nightfallen story forward.

Blizzard also spoke at Gamescom about their philosophy on expansions. You might remember a couple of years back when Blizzard was talking about increasing the pace of expansion releases for WoW. The company has done an about face on that, saying this philosophy caused sacrifices that shouldn't have been made. The new plan is to release a steady stream of content, even while working on new expansions. Blizzard also acknowledged the importance of not letting players run out of things to do. Finally, they promised that they would be working to ensure that there was no content drought for players in the Legion expansion.

While the return of Karazhan will definitely be exciting to veteran players (and a very cool experience for those that weren't playing during Burning Crusade), I don't expect most players to take Blizzard's promise of no content droughts without a huge grain of salt. After all, these are words we've heard before. That said, it's nice to see any company, especially one as large as Blizzard acknowledging that it may have miscalculated. Now it just needs to prove to gamers that it's learned from the experience.

World of Warcraft: Legion launches August 30, and Blizzard says that the "Return to Karazhan" patch will land on the Public Test Realms shortly thereafter.

Source: MMO Champion [http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/5910-Gamescom-Legion-Stream]

[gallery=6417]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
"Back with the 9 original bosses."

Either I'm miscounting or they are, because I'm pretty sure that the original Khara had more than 9 boss fights. That said, however, if this new Khara is only going to have 9, that means that a couple are going to be left out...here's hoping that we never have to play that BS chess game again. >.>

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
RJ 17 said:

Either I'm miscounting or they are, because I'm pretty sure that the original Khara had more than 9 boss fights. That said, however, if this new Khara is only going to have 9, that means that a couple are going to be left out...here's hoping that we never have to play that BS chess game again. >.>
I Think it had 11, but maybe they're cutting out the optional bosses (Nightbane, Netherspite) and Chess Event.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
RJ 17 said:

Speaking personally, I never counted the optional bosses (Nightbane, Netherspite, and the random Servant's Quarters bosses) or the Chess Event as a boss. I could see the argument the other way, though.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
ffronw said:
RJ 17 said:

Speaking personally, I never counted the optional bosses (Nightbane, Netherspite, and the random Servant's Quarters bosses) or the Chess Event as a boss. I could see the argument the other way, though.
Well strictly speaking, they were bosses (even though my guild - like most, I'd imagine - skipped the optional ones...though we would go up and kill the brothel boss every now and then). And as you said, the chess game was more of an "event" than a boss. Still, while it was a neat idea it was just sooooo clunky and the mechanics didn't work right most of the time. Just a big headache if you ask me.

..............now watch the updated Khara have a game of Checkers instead. xD

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Well strictly speaking, they were bosses (even though my guild - like most, I'd imagine - skipped the optional ones...though we would go up and kill the brothel boss every now and then). And as you said, the chess game was more of an "event" than a boss. Still, while it was a neat idea it was just sooooo clunky and the mechanics didn't work right most of the time. Just a big headache if you ask me.

..............now watch the updated Khara have a game of Checkers instead. xD
Parcheesi. They found all the copies that your grandma had in her closet.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
So as usual more content is code for 'more recycled content'

I'm glad I stopped playing when they pulled that trick with Onyxia.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Damn, I though they would finally make a raid in Karazhan's less known area.
Still, anything is better than what they did with Warlords.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Ushiromiya Battler said:
If you are talking about the crypts, I think they are saving that area for some artifact/class quests.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Broderick said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:
If you are talking about the crypts, I think they are saving that area for some artifact/class quests.
I was speaking of Lower Karazhan, the area where Medivh were killed in both the book and game. It is essentially a copy of Karazhan going downwards instead of upwards. It is where Medivh/Sargeras secret quarters are.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Ushiromiya Battler said:
That's what I thought it was going to be too. That place was so creepy it's a shame the assets are never going to be used, it seems.