NFL Player Imitates Madden In Real Game

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
Does anyone know when this game actually took place? The only reference I could find was "the first Sunday of the National Football League's 2009 season" at the beginning of the article. Anyone able to get me an actual date on when this took place?

Shane Hamstra

Amateur Bounty Hunter
Jan 5, 2009
dragontiers said:
Does anyone know when this game actually took place? The only reference I could find was "the first Sunday of the National Football League's 2009 season" at the beginning of the article. Anyone able to get me an actual date on when this took place?
September 13, 2009 game started at 1:00 EST.

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
Shane Hamstra said:
dragontiers said:
September 13, 2009 game started at 1:00 EST.
Thanks a lot. This will help out next time my father-in-law tries to get me in a discussion about football. It may be a bit outdated, but still an interesting conversation point.

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
Only started keeping track of the NFL this season, and playing Madden has certainly helped me understand the game a lot better. I haven't reached the point yet where I can analyze plays very well, though, but at any rate it's nice to see people learning tactics in games for use in real life.

Like how Brothers in Arms and its crux on positioning made an entire paintball focus on taking me out asap after I wiped them in a previous round :(

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
I was wondering why this didn't get picked up on sooner. Do that few gamers follow football? And why wasn't I smart enough to submit this as a tip when it happened?

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
It's official. Jocks can no longer tell nerds that they know nothing about football because they only play Madden.

CRAVE CASE 55

Jan 2, 2009
John Funk said:
This story makes me smile.

I really don't know why.
It makes me cry That was against my Home town team The Cincinnati Benglas...

I cringe every time I see that play

cooperace27

Jul 4, 2009
Sir John The Net Knight said:
Anything you can say about Madden being applied to NFL football is automatically disqualified by the fact that a series of button presses makes your running back immune to being tackled. And that DBs can pick off passes that no NFL player could possibly reach. And that every time you field a punt you'll fumble unless you signal for a fair catch.

Madden is a lot of things, but accurate isn't one of them. And it certainly doesn't allow you to play strategic football.
Now this comment bothers me, because the reason why I stopped buying and playing the new Madden games was because they became too much like an actual football sim. I don't know what the last Madden game you played was, but the last Madden game that I loved was 2007 because it was one of the last games I could throw the ball on every play, and get huge completion percentages. I could run the ball for 20 yard gains almost every time. But in the recent games I've had to mix things up more, I've had to settle for smaller gains, and only having a huge play once in a blue moon. Madden games have become useful simulators for the NFL, and they aren't like what they used to be 4 or 5 years ago (in my opinion, fun).

Abedeus said:
Questionably legal, but awesome in the "NYAH NYAH NYAH" way. Like a Scout running around three Snipers trying to kill him.
Now that I think about that. Shouldn't he have been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct? Or at least delay of game.
Why would he be flagged for this? He's not waving the ball in somebody's face or dancing his way along the endzone line. He is just running along the endzone line. Nothing wrong there.

Katana314 said:
FOOTBALL!? INTERESTING??

I'm actually amazed at this; someone arguably found an "exploit" to the rules of football. This is the same sort of thing as say, putting a zergling on an access ramp in starcraft so the enemy can't get by and scout.

I think it might be interesting for game designers to think about "what rules could be added to football to prevent this, while not detracting from the game itself"?
An "exploit"? I wouldn't call this an exploit. This is playing the game. Stopping your opponent from getting his hands on the ball for one more shot. Is spiking the ball an exploit? Is kneeing the ball an exploit? NFL doesn't seem to think so, because they have allowed these sort of things to happen for years. The reason why we haven't seen anyone try this before is because we rarely see a play like this. A breakout play with 20 seconds left in the game happens very rarely, and when it does happen, the player probably is thinking "Holy crap, I caught that ball," or "I just ran by that guy".

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
John Funk said:

I really don't know why.
Heh, same here.

Although, Deep down inside, it gives a warm and fuzzy feeling~

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
As ESPN's Gregg Easterbrook pointed out, this play isn't as smart as it at first appears: NFL rules allow the officials to blow a play dead "when the player is not making a reasonable effort to advance the ball".

Also, as a jock, it greatly amuses me that a gaming site would run a news item about sports...that happened four months ago in the early days of the regular season (Week One, if I'm not mistaken, was when the Broncos played the Bengals!)

Edit: I chased down the link to that ESPN story [http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/090915&sportCat=nfl#sweet]: Easterbrook's exact words were "Great presence of mind -- especially considering it was the only time he touched the ball on the day! Bear in mind, however, officials can whistle the play dead if the ballcarrier is not attempting to advance."

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
I've played a lot of Madden through the years alongside watching a lot of football. Both mediums have helped me learn more about the other. While watching a game, I can diagnose the single coverage on the field. I also notice single safety high and adjust accordingly during a game of Madden. One medium alone can't tell you all you need to know, but using both of these tools together, you can become quite educated about the sport.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
teisjm said:
Next thing you know, the army will introduce dual shotguns 101.
Nah, they'd have to be single use only. Can you imagine how tedious reloading would be..

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
The commentators were praising him for running down the time. So pretty sure thats legal. He didnt run backwards or showboated and he was running a slanted lateral so he was still advancing the ball. That would mean this isn't a delay of game call :p

Nice of him to credit a game for the idea XD

Galad said:
teisjm said:
Next thing you know, the army will introduce dual shotguns 101.
Nah, they'd have to be single use only. Can you imagine how tedious reloading would be..
FYI shotguns are only used as breaching weapons in the military now <.<

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
I love how a good chunk of the posts about this are "OMG exploit! Nerf teh Broncos! Not stopping him is OP". Good grief get over yourselves. How is this illegal? You're allowed to take as long as you want while the play is live. Assuming no one is tackling you, and you aren't breaking one of the many rules about passing,fumbling, or being considered "down", the play keeps going.

Smart move. Honestly he could have took up a few more seconds but considering how it was spur of the moment, great for him. Awesome play.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
John Funk said:

I really don't know why.
Because it's completely awesome? Plus, it's a sign that gaming is becoming a widespread and acceptable form of recreation.

cooperace27

Jul 4, 2009
Sir John the Net Knight said:
cooperace27 said:
Anything you can say about Madden being applied to NFL football is automatically disqualified by the fact that a series of button presses makes your running back immune to being tackled. And that DBs can pick off passes that no NFL player could possibly reach. And that every time you field a punt you'll fumble unless you signal for a fair catch.

Madden is a lot of things, but accurate isn't one of them. And it certainly doesn't allow you to play strategic football.
Now this comment bothers me, because the reason why I stopped buying and playing the new Madden games was because they became too much like an actual football sim. I don't know what the last Madden game you played was, but the last Madden game that I loved was 2007 because it was one of the last games I could throw the ball on every play, and get huge completion percentages. I could run the ball for 20 yard gains almost every time. But in the recent games I've had to mix things up more, I've had to settle for smaller gains, and only having a huge play once in a blue moon. Madden games have become useful simulators for the NFL, and they aren't like what they used to be 4 or 5 years ago (in my opinion, fun).

Abedeus said:
Questionably legal, but awesome in the "NYAH NYAH NYAH" way. Like a Scout running around three Snipers trying to kill him.
Now that I think about that. Shouldn't he have been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct? Or at least delay of game.
Why would he be flagged for this? He's not waving the ball in somebody's face or dancing his way along the endzone line. He is just running along the endzone line. Nothing wrong there.
I don't consider it a sim, because I've actually played real football on an organized team. I have a knowledge of football strategy, I've picked up several things about the game over the years from playing it and watching it and studying it. (Yes, I mean that with total sincerity.) And nothing I've learned can be applied to Madden. When I had '09, I generally threw more picks than completed passes. I could not do anything with the running game(using L.T. no less), and nothing I did prevented me from getting steam rolled by every non-AI opponent. I don't see it as a sim if you need octuple-jointed thumbs to win.

As far as being flagged, I question whether running along the end zone line is a violation of the infamous "Gastineau Rule". Although, I think that might only apply after a play is whistled dead. Still, it should be flagged for Delay, because you're not allowed to needlessly run time off the clock in that fashion. I don't make the rules though, so that's probably not the case, but it should be.
I have also played football on an organized team. I've also watched lots of games and I am an avid fan of the Vikings.

Now I use real life ideas and put them in Madden. Not really, huge, new ideas, but stuff like running a slant on a zone offense works nice and having your number 1 receiver go long and have 2 or 3 defenders go with him, then throw it to your number 2 go. Just little stuff like that. Blitz when there are more guys on the line. Cover man on long 3rd downs. Crash line on 3rd and inches.

Now as to how you are successful with your Madden career, that doesn't seem to be an issue of the game, but of how well you play. I'm trying to put it lightly as possible, but I even admit, I suck at the recent Madden games. The game makes you work for every yard, and if you do something wrong, its going to punish you. Sounds a lot like football to me.

And by your standards of "delay of game", kneeing the ball when you are up with 2 minutes left should be illegal. You of all people should realize that this isn't.