NFS Hot Pursuit = Burnout Paradise except not as fun

steelguy17

Aug 5, 2009
Now I know that Need For Speed Hot Pursuit is made by criterion who made the burnout games, but seriously this game is the exact same format in leveling up and earning cars as Burnout Paradise did, but its nowhere near as fun.

There are no huge ramps, no mind blowing crashes, there are still crashes but nowhere near as good. I cant believe this got pushed out like this. There is not one innovative thing that they have brought to this game. Everything is near exactly the same as it was in burnout, but they took out some things to make it less like burnout. The cops vs. robbers thing is neat and fun in multiplayer, but you can't even play it split-screen with friends in the room!

WTH, when did racing games start dropping split screen multiplayer for online multiplayer? I always want to play with my friends and its much more fun when the person you are beating is sitting right next to you.

TLDR: NFS Hot Pursuit didn't advance racing games at all, go buy Burnout Paradise and have more fun.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Hm... I remember playing NFSIII: Hot Pursuit all the time when I was a kid. I sucked, so I usually drove around trying to knock down fences or played as a cop. I used to watch my dad play, too, because he was actually good.

But that's nostalgia for you. I don't think I'd play the same game today. I'm not even too interested in racing games, although I liked Most Wanted. And if this is as bad as you say it is...

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Wait a minute, are you saying there's a new Hot Pursuit game? Because I used to love NFS, but I haven't really enjoyed one since the series changed from being about outrunning and outsmarting the police to being about looking vaguely like a scene from The Fast and the Furious. If there's a new, proper sequel to Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, I need to buy it, like now.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Wait a minute, are you saying there's a new Hot Pursuit game? Because I used to love NFS, but I haven't really enjoyed one since the series changed from being about outrunning and outsmarting the police to being about looking vaguely like a scene from The Fast and the Furious. If there's a new, proper sequel to Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, I need to buy it, like now.
Yeah, I totally agree, the last NFS game I played was Hot Pursuit 2. I may end up picking this up because I haven't gotten into a racer since Midnight Club 2 or Hot Pursuit 2. I know on Black Friday at least 2 places are running this NFS game for $35.

OT: How can this game not be more fun than Burnout Paradise? You get to get to outrun the cops and be the cops. Plus, you get to do it in the best cars in the world. If you want jumps, you need to try out Midnight Club 2 (best arcade racer ever) where you would jump over fucking rivers.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
And guess what, they just called it "Hot Pursuit" not Hot Pursuit 3 because there obviously do not exist gamers who have been gaming for 12 years in EA's brilliant mind.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
AC10 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
And guess what, they just called it "Hot Pursuit" not Hot Pursuit 3 because there obviously do not exist gamers who have been gaming for 12 years in EA's brilliant mind.
EA has been doing that a lot lately. The new Medal of Honor is a good example; why give it a reboot name if you're going to make a spinoff instead of a re-imagined remake? Does not compute.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
AC10 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
EA has been doing that a lot lately. The new Medal of Honor is a good example; why give it a reboot name if you're going to make a spinoff instead of a re-imagined remake? Does not compute.
Yeah, it looks like reboots in the entertainment industry in general (super hero reboots anyone?) seem to be following an exponential curve in frequency. At this rate it will be 6 months before a series is consumed, destroyed and then rebuilt!

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
Well, I played a demo of it on the PS3 yesterday at EB Games, and it plays, sounds and looks really good.
I might get it, on top of Fable III.
There's $220 gone already.

steelguy17

Aug 5, 2009
Don't get me wrong it's still fun it's just I was expecting a bit more. I love my arcade racers, but I feel criterion could have done more than what they did. It's pretty much a burnout game with cops and robbers.

And to those of you who haven't played the Burnout series, you are really missing out each of the 6 games (I think its 6: 1,2,3 takedown, revenge, and paradise right?)are great. Best arcade racers out there really revamped the genre.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
The game has been getting rave reviews. Ok, Steelguy prefers Burnout..which is its own series and not dead but, NFS: Hot Pursuit looks totally awesome and a throwback, revitalization to the old school great game that made NFS.. not that lame ass drift shit that happened for the past 10 years. Plus as stated above.. Hot Pursuit goes on sale at multiple places next week for Black Friday for $35.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Master_Spartan117666 said:
Well, I played a demo of it on the PS3 yesterday at EB Games, and it plays, sounds and looks really good.
I'd recommend you look into a website (I use playasia) to order at least one of them...I'm sure you can wait a week or so if you already have one of them (you can usually get new games for ~$60au).

I might pick it up, after I finish exams next week...I guess it just depends on whether I Can wait for GT5 to come out, though the appeal is obviously different. I don't really like the idea of buying 2 games so close together.

Darenus

Apr 10, 2008
I just see an opinion here as the point of this entire entry. And hey, your opinion's fine to have. I just dun think that the title of the topic fits as it would have been better to ask for general opinions or let people discuss it.

As for myself, I got Burnout Paradise on PC and PS3 (yea I'm weird) and have loads of fun with that. But as it is, the new NFS game offers something that Burnout doesn't in this variation. Pursuits in closed tracks with 'weapons'.

Basic difference there as to why comparing the two is futile simply is: Burnout uses an open-world constantly to allow you to either finish a race in record time, on the prefered track or stretch the entire event through half an eternity if you can manage that. See the guy that did a WTF-level of mutiplyer on an attempt to jump through every billboard there is during a stunt race. That's quite hardcore, but way too unforgiving at moments (I tend to be a bit lazy when I just wanna cruise the city and enjoy the atmosphere, hence I hit counter traffic more often than I'd like).

NFS offers an open world but the tracks for the races are pre-set and the general field plays on a much more race-way designed ground. What I mean is, there are ways that simply flow (IMO that is) a lot more smoothly than in Burnout, because the roads there are sculpted more to match a city or actual hills. There are gateways and sidestreets that allow for you to basicly go highspeed all the while no matter what the course you take, but that's not always a given, which is much more apparent in NFS so far I can tell.

Plus: there was no police at all. And no, I dun count the cop versions of the formula 1 or the Ford Mustang GT there, as these are not opening new options for usability or modes. Those are just re-skins, whereas NFS offers two varying setups for 'weaponry', which need to be used in a slightly tactical decission to make the most of them.

Overall: Both games have only 1 thing in common: They are fun when played on high speed with a flowing session. Oh, and they feature cars, so that's 2 points. :p

Try either one and see which fits. If nothing of those fits, go and try GT5 or Forza3 then :p

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
Dys said:
I'd recommend you look into a website (I use playasia) to order at least one of them...I'm sure you can wait a week or so if you already have one of them (you can usually get new games for ~$60au).

I might pick it up, after I finish exams next week...I guess it just depends on whether I Can wait for GT5 to come out, though the appeal is obviously different. I don't really like the idea of buying 2 games so close together.
Well, thank you very much for that idea.
Might go looking for it now.
Hope they have it :p

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
$220 for 2 games!!! You must live in Australia. Do yourself a favour and price match that shit with Kmart or Big W for $79 and save yourself some cash!

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
I appreciate the time and effort it took to place so many cars into one game, but if I'm mindlessly grinding Bounty, then I don't want to sit through a "New Car Awarded" spiel every other race and get booted back to the map as well, and of course there's the horribly drawn out rank increase cutscene, which wouldn't be so tedious if it weren't so bland. Also, if the vehicle select screen is driven on the left and right directions, I don't see why color selection could not have easily been done in the car selection menu with up and down.

Don't get me wrong, it really is a great game but that makes the faults even more obvious. For example, there are numerous times when the "autopilot" that takes over (when you perform a takedown or hit with a weapon) leaves you in the dirt on a corner, or facing oncoming traffic when you come back in control, which is incredibly frustrating to say the least. What I find most confusing however is the inordinate number of race events compared to actual Hot Pursuit events. The entire reason I loved the first Hot Pursuit (and bought this one) was the abundance of vehicular carnage that you could enjoy. Now that's limited to 15 of 46 events in the Racer career, little less than a third. I understand that many people want to drive insanely fast cars over long stretches of road (and there I am disappointed that there isn't much of an urban presence) but when you make a "Hot Pursuit" game, THAT'S where the focus should be: street racers wrecking the police and each other while the police try to wreck them. Let other games in the NFS series be the pure racers, if I'm not sending someone careening off a cliff I have trouble believing I'm playing Hot Pursuit. I miss the "endurance" trials where the goal was to pull over as many racers in a given time period as possible, or evade capture for X amount of time while free-roaming and it doesn't make sense why such a feature hasn't made a re-appearance. On the topic of the Hot Pursuit events, I find it odd that dropping below a certain speed will get you busted if a cop is nearby as a racer (as it was the in the first) but the player can't perform the same feat while playing as an SCPD officer. I actually watched as my interceptor target crashed into an oncoming van and stood there motionless, aside from their spinning wheels, while I parked less than two feet away.

Aside from one or two tracks (30 seconds to Mars is getting a lot of love from the videogame industry these days, which is not a bad thing) the soundtrack really didn't grab me, which is disappointing considering EA's past accomplishments in lining up music talent.

There are other annoyances, but those are the main factors that keep this iteration of the series from supplanting it's earliest predecessor as my favorite vehicular carnage outlet.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
Woh, woh, woh... Burnout Paradise was fun?

XD

Seriously though, I think those two games are in way different genres; Burnout is sort of an arcade racer, while Need for Speed is a street racing game with a big emphasis on the cars.

To each their own.
Odd... I thought of this as Need for Speed: Carbon from the looks.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
the game is basically a sequel to hot pursuit 2 from the old ps2 gen. cop chases, fast cars, high speed, little slide to the turns.

perfectly fun.

also, the online is flipping epic 8 players: 4 racers, 4 coppers. Burnout ain't a thing like this.