Ni No Kuni comprehensive review

Murmur95

Sep 18, 2008
Ni No Kuni is a breath of fresh air in a shrinking market, with its wonderful graphics, awesome music and interest setting. That is not to say that the game doesn't have its share of flaws but lets dive in.

Characters: I personally did not care too much for the main Character Oliver because he gave me the feeling that solutions of most problems fell in his lap and he didn't really need to try to hard to succeed. A lot of people liked Oliver seeing him as a new approach of a main character but this kind of thing has been seen before(Harry potter). For myself Mr. Drippy, Lord High Lord of the Fairies was the soul of the game, he made me laugh and helped push the story forward and explains everything.

Music/sounds: The music of the game is wonderful, fully orchestrated. One of my favourites is "Fairy godmother" which gives me fond memories of anime like Azumanga Daioh and "Taking to the Skies" with its marching / flying feeling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROfsPQAJW2Q&list=PLPKu-RAa2p_Jae1M3QdR12rE6METW3ZWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-C2qbhCYgA&list=PLPKu-RAa2p_Jae1M3QdR12rE6METW3ZWI

Aesthetic / Graphics: The game gained art direction by Studio Ghibli & Level 5 and it shows though in the game, everything is so vibrant and wonderfully designed which reminded me a lot of Dragon Quest 8.

Battle System: Now here is where things start going wrong, the major problem of the game is that the AI is terrible. The game forces you to micromanage everything from healing, defending, and offence where often at times either your AI will try to blow though all their mana, just sit there instead of doing anything while often running down their familiars time so they are unusable.

Later in the game you get the option to "All Defend" and "All Attack" which tells your people to block, I think this comes pretty late in the game and could have been useful prior. It is pretty silly that the AI can't defend on their own while there is also no quick way to defend yourself. Often you have to take damage because pushing Square(all defend), O (cancel), left (hover over defend) and X (select) takes longer than the charge time of some boss skills.

I believe the game would of done a lot better being a turn based RPG, the game builds a lot on the mass amount of familiars, element and signs (sun, moon, planet etc) but they never really get much use out of them because often the best team for any situation is a large amount of defence and physical offence where you bash in the enemy taking as little damage as possible while not wasting MP. Another good change could have been would to scale familiar stats to the character's stats which would mean that lower level familiars would not be totally useless.

Story: The story for the most part is pretty linear but after obtaining the ship lets you adventure a bit. Without trying to give away too much most of the story focuses on defeating Shadar, the Dark Djinn which ends up having some nice plot twist but looking at the front cover of the box it says "Wrath of the white witch" which means that the witch should be the main antagonist but her story is never really fully fleshed out and even worse is just tossed at you in the last hour or so of the game.

The story does have its share of plot holes that just doesn't make much sense and the only way to get past some of it is just say "it's a game" but I think a few things in the story could have been a lot better done especially how well they designed the starting of the game.

The game is pretty slow at introducing stuff which is not too bad for the story component but for game-play component I think should have been given sooner such as the ability to capture familiars, being able to fast travel, the fourth party member and the All out command to name a few.

Overall I think the game is pretty good but it has its faults, I enjoyed playing it though but now that I am at the end I am a bit let down mostly due to the tacked on addition to the white witch story but I think my overall experience with the game was positive. If you enjoy fast pace battles, grinding, beautiful environments and some great music, I would suggest that you pick this up.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I really enjoyed the game myself.

While I can agree the A.I. isn't the best, I still think they are fairly competent overall. I mean, if you set Esther to "keep us healthy" she more or less does her job so long as she has the magic for it and you regularly give her magic replenishing items. Of course, if there's going to be a sequel to this game, it would be great if the developers improved upon the A.I. Maybe set them to use certain items when they need it, or more options in the tactics menu.

Fun fact: The original DS version didn't have the White Witch at all. That version of the game ended with the final battle with Shadar. I'm not really sure why they decided to add a whole other villain to the story while making this version of the game, but personally, I felt they didn't do a bad job implementing her and everyone important to her story into the game. It provided some insight into the game's lore such as the Wizard Wars, the Wizard King himself, ect. Plus it kinda shows how far Oliver has gone as a character.

For example:

At the beginning of the game, Oliver was afraid to ask King Tom for his wand. He would often hesitate whenever he wants to say something important to a lot of people. As the game goes on though, he gets better at this.

At the very end of the game though, right before you face the White Witch, Oliver goes up to the White Witch telling her why trying to destroy the world is wrong. The Zodiarchy try to shut him down, but he keeps his cool and reveals to her how alone she truly is. Which ends up destroying the illusions around her.

But yeah, despite that, I do feel that if they removed everything involving the White Witch, the game probably wouldn't change all that much. But hey, that's just me.

Moving on, one thing I do really like about the game is how detailed it is. The Wizard's Companion itself has a ton of stuff to read. It has stories that explain some of the stuff in the game, such as the origins of the Clarion, the Eye of the Storm, and even one explaining how Drippy got his lantern.

There's also just something about looking through the Companion's alchemy section to check for ingredients for specific recipes that you want to make. It's like reading a cook book. :p

Finally, Shadar is fucking awesome. I know he might not be the most original villain in the world, but goddamn, whoever his voice actor is nailed his character and actually made me feel kind of intimidated by him.

Plus

He is pretty much Oliver's foil in almost every way. Right down to the familiar he uses. Oliver's familiar, Mitey, is small yet heroic looking, meanwhile, Shadar's familiar, the Eternal Knight, is large and sinister. I love when games do this kind of thing.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game. And I hope that enough copies of this game get sold in order for there to be a sequel.