Nia DaCosta Will Direct Captain Marvel 2

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
The director behind the upcoming "Candyman" remake will direct the sequel to Captain Marvel.

I haven't seen any of her work but I hope it turns out well.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't think it matters who makes these honestly. Enough directors have been fired and replaced (or complied with "creative choices" they were against) to prove they don't make the movie, the board does.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Jesus, she's only the fourth? And two of the other three are for movies that haven't come out yet, amazing. Not something I normally care about, but when you've had as many movies as the MCU... not a good look.

Anyways, good luck to her. I found the first movie to be the most boring MCU movie and Captain Marvel to be the most unlikeable hero. To be fair, I had just finished reading Civil War II, which was also really boring and made Captain Marvel fascistly unlikeable. Hope they manage to do something better with her this time around, especially when they seem to be making her the new face of the MCU.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Jesus, she's only the fourth? And two of the other three are for movies that haven't come out yet, amazing. Not something I normally care about, but when you've had as many movies as the MCU... not a good look.

Anyways, good luck to her. I found the first movie to be the most boring MCU movie and Captain Marvel to be the most unlikeable hero. To be fair, I had just finished reading Civil War II, which was also really boring and made Captain Marvel fascistly unlikeable. Hope they manage to do something better with her this time around, especially when they seem to be making her the new face of the MCU.
Civil War 2 was not a good book for any character involved and Marvel events are generally not the best at characterization these days. CW2 should not be held against Carol anymore than CW1 should be held against Tony.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Civil War 2 was not a good book for any character involved and Marvel events are generally not the best at characterization these days. CW2 should not be held against Carol anymore than CW1 should be held against Tony.
Yeah, absolutely no one came out of any of the Civil War books looking good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Best of luck to her, but I am more interested in the Candy Man Remake than Captain Marvel 2. I'm still waiting for Wonder Woman '84.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That's news to me.
She's been pushed hard by Marvel to be a lead the comic thing over the last decade. She's still pretty middling but is on par with Captain America and Flash

So, I'd say they want her to be the lead. The problem is that she an arrogant jerk like Tony and that does not sit well with folks. She is way less arrogant in the movie. She goes pretty Fascie. But then.. Illuminati so many of the top dogs at Marvel cant say much
I suppose you could say it's a...Lost Cause?
There were good people on both sides

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Aw, Candyman 1 and 2 was like the first films I member seeing as a kid, am quite interested in what they're doing with that re-imagining tbh. Marvel will be of a predictable "safe" quality which inherently dulls the curiosity a bit, no matter the talent involved.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
She's been pushed hard by Marvel to be a lead the comic thing over the last decade. She's still pretty middling but is on par with Captain America and Flash

So, I'd say they want her to be the lead. The problem is that she an arrogant jerk like Tony and that does not sit well with folks. She is way less arrogant in the movie. She goes pretty Fascie. But then.. Illuminati so many of the top dogs at Marvel cant say much

There were good people on both sides
She's been an arrogant jerk in a handful of stories.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

He entry's No. 64 on that list. I'm not sure what it proves exactly.

Tony's arrogant, but people love him, or at least his MCU version. In theory, that shouldn't stop Carol either.

Anyway, my thoughts on Carol aside (thoughts that are more or less based entirely on her MCU appearance), still don't see evidence of her being some kind of Marvel flagrunner. Like, since her film release, I've seen numerous Captain Marvel children's books in the library, but that's more or less the same for every MCU character. The same thing happened for Shazam - once his movie came out, his books started appearing as well. So still not sure about her being the 'face' of Marvel.

I mean, you could argue it makes sense in a literal kind of way (Captain Marvel representing Marvel, hardy hah hah), but apart from that...

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Well, can't exactly redo first impressions. I tried reading her other comics at the time too, but never really understood what the point of her character was.
That's news to me.

So still not sure about her being the 'face' of Marvel.
She's supposedly going to get top billing in Avengers posters and trailers, which previously went to RDJ. That's as being the face of the MCU as you can get.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
She entry's No. 64 on that list. I'm not sure what it proves exactly.
Iron man is 83 but lead the MCU...

I mean, this information can say whatever you want. I'd say that this proves that Marvel is a B tier hero but most A tier comics are Batman and Spiderman. And Spawn? That was a surprise. Like, Superman is only number 48 and he'd probably be called A tier

I think it says that she's popular.. but not that popular. But the MCU likes the underdog

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
She's supposedly going to get top billing in Avengers posters and trailers, which previously went to RDJ. That's as being the face of the MCU as you can get.
I assume you mean Endgame and/or hypothetical future Avengers movies? Because being on posters for previous ones wouldn't make sense.

I think it says that she's popular.. but not that popular. But the MCU likes the underdog
That's debatable. The MCU choosing B-list heroes from its outset was driven by necessity rather than choice. I mean, everyone knows who likes of Iron Man, Cap, and Thor are now, but pre-2008? Different story for non-comic fans.