Niantic Considering Android Wear, One-on-One Pokemon Go Battles

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Niantic Considering Android Wear, One-on-One Pokemon Go Battles

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1335/1335204.png

Pokemon Go developer Niantic Labs is considering one-on-one battles, according to CEO John Hanke.

Pokemon Go may have seen a Speaking with TechCrunch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168398-Pokemon-GOs-Paying-Population-Drops-79], Hanke stated that it is "pretty likely" that Pokemon Go will be made available for Android Wear devices sometime in the future, to start.

"Our whole mission as a company is to evangelize this whole concept of playing games outside, real world games. Apple Watch we think is a great vehicle for that," he added, complimenting also the new Apple smartwatch hardware, which includes a standalone GPS and waterproofing, among other things," Hanke said. "As other devices come on the market - if those are Android Wear devices or if they are devices from other quadrants that are interesting for gameplay and mobility, and being active - we'll look into supporting those, too."

In addition to that, Hanke also stated that one-on-one battles are being considered, crediting his 10-year-old son for that idea.

"I have 10 year old son - he's my Pokemon expert, we play together - he wants to battle his friends in Pokemon Go," Hanke said. "Battling is something we talk a lot about. It's probably something that will make its way onto our roadmap."

In other Pokemon Go news, Niantic recently rolled out an update that adds "Buddy Pokemon to the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168315-Pokemon-GO-Buddy-Pokemon-System], allowing you to assign a Pokemon as a, well, buddy. That Pokemon will follow you around, acquiring candy of its type as you travel certain distances.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
Honestly this just makes me lose hope.
Maybe one day they will have 1 on 1 battles? This is what they tease as they lose millions of customers?
The legendary events had better be the best thing ever or the player base will wither fast.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I haven't played this in weeks. It's still on my phone, but that's about it. And as new features roll out I just ask myself, "Why wasn't this in at launch?"

It really feels like they released an incomplete game and are only now slowing completing the game with patches.

Oh. I guess Nintendo is a AAA publisher after all.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Considering? Considering? You know what, why bother. Do many app developers forget that Android exist and is on major of devices.

Go on. Stick to Apple and the "hype".

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Saltyk said:
I haven't played this in weeks. It's still on my phone, but that's about it. And as new features roll out I just ask myself, "Why wasn't this in at launch?"

It really feels like they released an incomplete game and are only now slowing completing the game with patches.

You do realize Nintendo is not Niantic nor Pokemon Comapny? Right?

Nintendo is part owner in Pokemon company which licenced Niantic to make this game. Nintendo make their share of stupid decisions, but this isn't one of them.

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
To all of the people lamenting that "Pokemon battles are being considered", let me point out two VERY important facts:

1. It says "one-on-one" battles. In all trailers up to this point, battles have been shown to be with more than two people. That's why they are being considered.

2. Battles are going to difficult to implement in a way that makes sense with the game.

See, in gym battles, you're playing against an AI that can't dodge. In these theoretical one-on-one battles, the games would need to sync up attacks, dodging, and so on between the two players, plus have it so both players can dodge.

I mean, even now there are syncing issues in gym battles, in terms of damage taken by Pokemon.

And for goodness sake, remember this:

Niantic is NOT Nintendo.
Niantic is NOT the Pokemon Company
Niantic IS a small company.

Expecting them to implement every last little thing quickly when they already have so much on their plate is unreasonable.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Yopaz said:
Saltyk said:

You do realize Nintendo is not Niantic nor Pokemon Comapny? Right?

Nintendo is part owner in Pokemon company which licenced Niantic to make this game. Nintendo make their share of stupid decisions, but this isn't one of them.
Is this the part where you accuse me of being a "hater"?

And, for the record, I do know this. Does it really matter? My joke still stands. And is more of a joke about so called AAA developers than Nintendo to begin with. Nintendo doesn't release unplayable games that need to be patched to be fixed. There is plenty to criticize them for (and I will), but that isn't one I would level at them.

What's more, my point that Pokemon Go feels like it was released incomplete also stands.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Yeah, I uninstalled this last night and put Twitter in its place as a shortcut. One on one battles isn't likely to bring me back permanently.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Saltyk said:
Is this the part where you accuse me of being a "hater"?

And, for the record, I do know this. Does it really matter? My joke still stands. And is more of a joke about so called AAA developers than Nintendo to begin with. Nintendo doesn't release unplayable games that need to be patched to be fixed. There is plenty to criticize them for (and I will), but that isn't one I would level at them.

What's more, my point that Pokemon Go feels like it was released incomplete also stands.
I just pointed out that it's factually incorrect. I don't disagree with the state the game is in. You could have said "I guess Niantic has learned from AAA developers" and you would have made the same joke without seeming like you were talking down an unrelated company. So no, your point doesn't stand. It would have if you had been mindful of your facts though.

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
Luminous_Umbra said:
Niantic IS a small company.
Actually, they're getting bigger. John Hanke is asked how big the company is in the video. He states that they're about 70 full time employees, not including outsourced/contract work.

That's not to say I don't agree with you. People expect too much, too fast. And get way too angry when something goes wrong.
I meant relatively, but that is good to know.