Niantic Has Removed All Legendary Pokemon from Pokemon GO Accounts for "Fairness"

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Poetic Nova said:
How long before this Pokemon Go fad will crash and burn due to bad decisions by Niantic?
I'd give it a few weeks at this point, Niantic seem to be hellbent on fucking everything up.

Something tells me Nintendo won't be working with these guys again anytime soon.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Dousche move imo, if you caught it fair and square, it should be yours. If the player didn't do anything wrong and acquired something through a dev's fuckup, then the dev should roll with it and find a way that pleases everyone, not slap the player on the wrist as if they did something wrong by playing the game normally.

And whilst I haven't played much mmos (a brief stint on warhammer online, a brief stint on unofficial blizz server), to answer the mmo comparison: yeah i'd be pretty pissed too if I find some legendary weapon or armor, only for it to be suddenly plucked out of my hands by the powers above and told I wasn't supposed to have this "yet".

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
It's hard to see Niantic as a company that is not Nintendo even though their PR firm seems to be just as bad, if not worse. Seriously, I loved this game in the first weeks of playing it, but now more and more shit just keeps happening that Niantic keeps screwing up. I can't even say that this is some how fair. I'm a bit of an MMO player, and I'm not a fan of people using exploits, however, considering this game has no direct PvP and the technical PvE is piss easy even with the shittiest pokemon, I wouldn't say that there is any real loss of "fairness" here. To equate this to a situation in an MMO would be more closely to a player got a random drop that is way over powered and shouldn't even be released yet. They didn't actively try to get said drop, they just got it. That's not an exploit, that's Niantic screwing up.

On top of all this, for all those people who caught it know, it could have been one of those special events. It's not like Niantic has been forthcoming with information as is, only after their player base dropped tremendously have they figured out that they should actually talk about things to their fans.

Seriously, the experience surrounding this game was fun in the early weeks, but the game itself is a horrible mess, and now that Niantic has decided that it just doesn't care about PR, I cannot bring myself to want to play anymore. Maybe at a later time if things actually get fixed, but I can't imagine that won't be for months now, and by then the player base will be so small that the reward from other players will be almost nothing, so I might as well just go outside for the sake of going outside at that point.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Fappy said:
Who gives a shit if a few people got it? Just let them have it. It's not like this game is really a viable means of competition, anyway. Talk about delusional.
Not at the moment no, but the features they intend to add later, it may become a problem giving them a leg up on capturing areas. And it's not really fair after they said how legendaries would obtained at special events.

It was the right thing to do, I didn't care so much, but it did bother me when I remember people and kids especially get excited about capturing stuff like this only to have someone just handed a rare pokemon for pretty much nothing (If I understand they mistakenly transferred a pidgeot) What's to stop anyone else doing that and making the same demands?

Frankster said:
Dousche move imo, if you caught it fair and square
The case I heard about, they did not capture, a Community rep mistakenly gave the account one because they accidentally transferred a pidgeot. That will extremely skew the system. Removing the legendaries from accounts was the right thing to do.

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
Saltyk said:
fisheries said:
Saltyk said:
Proto Taco said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
This sounds like a perfectly logical thing to do in this day and age, because this is how society functions. Everyone is supposed to be equal and rather than everyone having the same shot to do be better, we all have to be the same and push down those who rise up.
By your logic every drug dealer, warlord, mugger and thief should get a free pass because after all, cheating is fine if it gives you an advantage.

Niantic made the right move here. Preserve the integrity of their big event flagships, improve customer communication, and fix the inciting issues as quickly as possible. Cheating, even by glitch, should NEVER be supported or allowed. If players don't have to earn their advancement then gameplay loses all meaning and sportsmanship.
But, these players didn't cheat. Niantic screwed up and these players got Legendaries. This is punishing someone else for their mistakes.
By taking away the variable that lets them own a digital pokemon.

Come on people, let's look at this in context, please. It's embarassing in here.
Niantic screwed up. They shouldn't take something that players legitimately earned. These players didn't cheat. They didn't hack. They didn't break any rules or laws. This colors Niantic in a negative light. It is not fair to punish the players for their mistake.

The only people who should be embarrassed are Niantic. I don't even care about this game that much. And it's not like I lost anything.

Seriously, this is a website about gaming first and foremost. If you don't want people to be upset when a game developer screws over players, go to some other site.
So if you find a bag full of money that was stolen from a bank you deserve to keep it? Because by your logic you 'earned' it.

When a game system is broken, even accidentally, it ruins the game for everyone else. There's a reason why if your game board is bumped you put your pieces back where they were; to maintain the integrity of the competition.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Fappy said:
Who gives a shit if a few people got it? Just let them have it. It's not like this game is really a viable means of competition, anyway. Talk about delusional.
I mean you can argue equally in the opposite direction.

Who cares if they had it and got it taken away? It doesn't change the gameplay at all.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Proto Taco said:
Saltyk said:
fisheries said:
Saltyk said:
Proto Taco said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
This sounds like a perfectly logical thing to do in this day and age, because this is how society functions. Everyone is supposed to be equal and rather than everyone having the same shot to do be better, we all have to be the same and push down those who rise up.
By your logic every drug dealer, warlord, mugger and thief should get a free pass because after all, cheating is fine if it gives you an advantage.

Niantic made the right move here. Preserve the integrity of their big event flagships, improve customer communication, and fix the inciting issues as quickly as possible. Cheating, even by glitch, should NEVER be supported or allowed. If players don't have to earn their advancement then gameplay loses all meaning and sportsmanship.
But, these players didn't cheat. Niantic screwed up and these players got Legendaries. This is punishing someone else for their mistakes.

Come on people, let's look at this in context, please. It's embarassing in here.
Niantic screwed up. They shouldn't take something that players legitimately earned. These players didn't cheat. They didn't hack. They didn't break any rules or laws. This colors Niantic in a negative light. It is not fair to punish the players for their mistake.

The only people who should be embarrassed are Niantic. I don't even care about this game that much. And it's not like I lost anything.

Seriously, this is a website about gaming first and foremost. If you don't want people to be upset when a game developer screws over players, go to some other site.
So if you find a bag full of money that was stolen from a bank you deserve to keep it? Because by your logic you 'earned' it.

When a game system is broken, even accidentally, it ruins the game for everyone else. There's a reason why if your game board is bumped you put your pieces back where they were; to maintain the integrity of the competition.
That's kind of a horrible analogy.

A better (still not at all perfect) analogy is if you go to a store and you see a brand new $60 game somehow marked down to $30 bucks and you buy it. Later the company realizes they accidentally marked down the wrong game, come back, take 30 more from you and walk away.

It's a mistake the company made, that doesn't even have a huge impact, and they are being right cunts about it.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
Huh, that's almost Blizzard level of incompetence, bulldozing everything to make things "fair". Yeah, if everyone is crushed by tons of steel, no one has the advantage.
Oh, dang! Thanks for reminding me!

I need to go complete the dailies so I can pay for the Karazhan adventure in gold...

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
Qizx said:
Proto Taco said:
Saltyk said:
fisheries said:
Saltyk said:
Proto Taco said:
LysanderNemoinis said:

A better (still not at all perfect) analogy is if you go to a store and you see a brand new $60 game somehow marked down to $30 bucks and you buy it. Later the company realizes they accidentally marked down the wrong game, come back, take 30 more from you and walk away.

It's a mistake the company made, that doesn't even have a huge impact, and they are being right cunts about it.
Because finding something that isn't supposed to be there is exactly like buying it at a discount. Truth is the players found the 'money' stolen from the bank and didn't know it was stolen. Now that the cops want it back they're upset because for a fleeting moment they thought they were rich.

The excuses people will come up with to justify unearned advancement would be comical if they weren't so earnest about it. Reading this forum is like watching Oprah's 'The Secret' for a 'professional development' class all over again.

And don't even pretend anyone actually thought these were legitimate captures. Everyone knew they were a sham from the get go and because they weren't allowed to keep them they're flipping their entitled collective biscuits.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Proto Taco said:

But the bag of money was not stolen. you found a diamond in a cave but the government does not like you having diamonds when others dont so it took the diamond away from you for "Fairness".

Proto Taco said:
Because finding something that isn't supposed to be there is exactly like buying it at a discount. Truth is the players found the 'money' stolen from the bank and didn't know it was stolen. Now that the cops want it back they're upset because for a fleeting moment they thought they were rich.

The excuses people will come up with to justify unearned advancement would be comical if they weren't so earnest about it. Reading this forum is like watching Oprah's 'The Secret' for a 'professional development' class all over again.

And don't even pretend anyone actually thought these were legitimate captures. Everyone knew they were a sham from the get go and because they weren't allowed to keep them they're flipping their entitled collective biscuits.
you mean like finding a discount that wasnt supposed to be discounted?

nothing was stolen. Niantic did not loose anything. The advancement was earned. they found a legendary pokemon and caught it. but thier efforts does not matter because Niantic finds it unfair that others are not as capable. And yes they were all legitimate captures.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
Strazdas said:
But the bag of money was not stolen. you found a diamond in a cave but the government does not like you having diamonds when others dont so it took the diamond away from you for "Fairness".
Question: This diamond, was it accidentally dropped there by a government employee? And was it taken away because it's the government's diamond and the government's cave?

Because that's what would make what Niantic did actually comparable to your diamond example. To make it even more so, the diamond would need to be found in a carefully structured and wholly artificial environment, like a museum, where they don't have policies of letting people take diamonds home just because they found it on the floor.
Well all land in a country belongs to the government so it was on government property, yeah. But the guy had a permit to look for gems (user account for the game) and found a diamond instead of a different gem he expected. Had it been a sapphire instead of diamond the government would not demand it back.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
Strazdas said:
Well all land in a country belongs to the government so it was on government property, yeah. But the guy had a permit to look for gems (user account for the game) and found a diamond instead of a different gem he expected. Had it been a sapphire instead of diamond the government would not demand it back.
Again, that's not really comparable. The government didn't physically create the land nor was the diamond accidentally put there by the government. Lucking into something no one knew was there is vastly different than picking up something someone dropped on the ground.
Sure it is. Government has land (the game) in which it allows people to look for gems (players look for pokemons) but since a person found a gem it does not like (legendary pokemon) they are not taking it away.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Proto Taco said:
Qizx said:
Proto Taco said:
Saltyk said:
fisheries said:
Saltyk said:
Proto Taco said:
LysanderNemoinis said:

Except no. You're using an example where there is CLEAR harm to not returning the money. Someone is losing money because of your refusal to return it, that is a physical object that someone else lost.

In this case NO ONE is losing anything other than the players having the pokemon taken from them.

It's not like there are only 5 Articuno that will ever exist, they can just add an articuno at will. You can't just add money at will.

Analogy = flawed.