Niantic Releases Screenshots, Details For Pokemon GO

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Niantic Releases Screenshots, Details For Pokemon GO

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1302/1302280.png

Niantic today released three screenshots of upcoming mobile game, Pokemon GO.

In a post today [http://nianticlabs.com/blog/pokemon-go-first-look/], Niantic shared three screenshots from upcoming mobile title Pokemon GO. In addition, the post highlighted some details about the game, which combines "mobile location technology and augmented reality" in order to create a game that moves players outside.

Out in the wild, certain Pokemon can only be found in expected areas - an example given was that Water-type Pokemon may only be found near lakes and oceans. Meanwhile, you can pick up eggs and Poke Balls from "PokeStops," which are located at "interesting places such as public art installations, historical markers, museums and monuments."

And then, of course, there are the battles.

"Yes, there will be battles," the post reads. "Players will be encouraged to join one of three teams in order to compete over the ownership and prestige of Gyms. They will do this by placing their captured Pokemon in a friendly Gym or by battling with an opponent's Pokemon in another team's Gym. Gyms - just like PokeStops - are also found at real world locations."

The game will be entering a field test in Japan sometime soon. However, the post left off with a tease of upcoming announcements: "We're excited to reveal more in the days to come."

Niantic recently canceled a scheduled GDC session for the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166695-Niantic-Labs-Cancels-Pokemon-GO-GDC-Session], with Niantic CEO John Hanke saying "As much as we hate to disappoint those in the industry attending GDC, we feel our time and energy right now are best spent on making sure every aspect of the product is where we want it to be."

Pokemon GO is expected to release for iOS and Android devices sometime in 2016. Until then, here are those screenshots.

[gallery=6070]

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
In other words, the game will only play in pre-determined countries/locations, and if you live somewhere not well known, you are out of luck. The future of videogaming is super-region-locked.

Glodenox

Eternally tweaking things
Mar 29, 2011
It's almost certain Niantic will re-use the database of places they have for Ingress, which can be played worldwide. So region-locking shouldn't be an issue, unless Nintendo enforces it.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
I'm hyped. So hyped. I'm gonna have a sylveon in my pocket and we will walk around campus and we will beat the other trainer's shit in.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'm curious of this. I might actually get it and wander my city... hopefully the rarer Pokemon in my region won't be in the ghetto. Its not that I'm afraid of the place, but I just don't enjoy being on that side of town.

Jan 27, 2011
This makes me want a phone more than the actual ability to send and receive calls, and I'm not even a big fan of pokemon.

...I think this is quite sad. XD

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
*knock knock* Hello, Sir. I hate to trouble you, but me and my associates have found out that your house currently has a Shiny Haunter in it. No sir, nothing to be concerned about, we just need to enter your home and capture it. Sir, I'm being perfectly serious. We are professionals, and I'd hate to let less experienced trainers make the attempt and let it get away. Where are you going, sir? Sir? ... I assure you the police will not be able to help with the situation.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Yeah, this is a game I am interested in. The idea of Pokemon being all over the place and being able to catch them is kinda hard not to appreciate.

Mirrorknight said:
*knock knock* Hello, Sir. I hate to trouble you, but me and my associates have found out that your house currently has a Shiny Haunter in it. No sir, nothing to be concerned about, we just need to enter your home and capture it. Sir, I'm being perfectly serious. We are professionals, and I'd hate to let less experienced trainers make the attempt and let it get away. Where are you going, sir? Sir? ... I assure you the police will not be able to help with the situation.
Then, after you capture the Pokemon, you make the homeowner pay you for taking care of his "pest" problem.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I can see the news headlines now;

"Little local Lucy caught in Mrs Bangle's garden, throwing oranges at startled cats. Exclaims dismay at 'failed pokehunt for bulbasaur.'"

"Teenage boy saved from lake drowing after leaping in, allegedly screaming 'you're mine now, cloyster!'"

"Niantic game hacked: students found breaking into colosseum to initiate battle with their level 99 starter pokemon."

It will be fun from that alone. But seems kind of a neat idea, am curious.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I have a massive feeling that living in the arse end of nowhere will mean that I can explore my local countryside and find a metric fucktonne of caterpies and weedles and nothing much else. I'll probably have more fun trying to catch the actual local wildlife. There will definitely be more variety! There are 3 types of deer around where I live! Hey... maybe my local pub will have a Growlith in place of the old golden lab that lives there?

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Three teams? I'm gonna flip if it's finally time to be a member of Team Rocket. We don't want to destroy the ecosystem so people have more place to live at the expense of the resources needed to live, or wrassle a big ol' sea monster for funzies, we just want to amass some serious dosh.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It sound like it could take a while for it to be develop worldwide depending on the countries and area and aswell providing suffice things in the said area.

Still I can easily forseen my town having ALOT of Wingull, Pidgy, Krappy and maybe Geodude and Zubut if they consider the local mine a landmark.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Going to head down to the closest all-you-can eat buffet and bag me a snorlax.