Nice Guys Come in Last

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
Nice Guys Come in Last

Activision isn't evil - but playing nice won't always win you the prom queen.

Read Full Article

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
It's true. They do what they must to make money. They aren't kicking puppies, but I agree sometimes they can pull a fast one hear and there just for more cash.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Business is business. Catering to a select few people when you have the possibility to be selling to the masses, well, that makes the select few the jerks.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
How come no one mentions the blizzard part when they are taking part in acts of douchebaggery? It's like starcraft is something seperate and wonderful.

LaBambaMan

Jul 13, 2009
I have no problems with a company making money, it's what they're made to do. What I do have a problem with, however, is when a company just makes the same damn game a thousand times. I get the feeling that Activision is going to become the new Nintendo, just pumping out the same tired old franchises over and over again. But there in lies the problem: their rabid fan base will keep eating this crap up. How different is Modern Warfare 2 going to be from CoD4? A few new levels, maybe a new gun or two, but in the end it's still "point gun, shoot bad-guy, win game" nonsense. The Guitar Hero and Rock Band deal can only go on for so long before people, hopefully, realize "hey, they just charged me $60 for a few songs...only 3 of which I actually like!".

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
We live in a capitalist society, yes they are the big bad wolf of faceless gaming corporations at the moment but unfortunately there will always be one. Its how the system works

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
I understand what you're saying, but pre merger Blizzard and Valve, ID and Ubisoft are all very successful companies, but they're not complete bastards, while I understand business is business, you can be successful and not Satan Incarnate. Aggressively suing people, hypocrisy and underhand business practices are just bad, they don't need to do it, they just do for thee sake of it I think.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
They're clever, I'll give them that. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Let's face it they only get away with a lot of the shit they do because we as consumers let them. The pricing of modern warfare 2 in the uk is ridiculous but they'll get away with it because people will still buy it and from then on that's the price you'll always pay. And it won't be activisions fault it'll be all the muppets who rushed out and got it day of release.

Marohen

Jun 30, 2009
Keen marketing tactics and being a dick are two different things, they're being dicks right now because they lack the particular competition to make them give a shit about their customers; Right now Activision has a monopoly on some of the greatest-selling games out there, with nothing to challenge them they're obviously going to get cocky, and I'll cite the PS3 in reagards to where said cockyness leads.

But, really, nice guys finish last because they stop and take their time to recieve something far more worth while then "First Place"; your assumption that monetary value outweights the creation of a great game is a foolish one at that. Money can neither garner the true respect of others nor can it inspire the masses, nor will it make your memory linger in future generations... At least in a favourable manner.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
bjj hero said:
How come no one mentions the blizzard part when they are taking part in acts of douchebaggery? It's like starcraft is something seperate and wonderful.
Blizzard is run by "nerds". Activision is run by suits.
Most gamers see the people at Blizzard as one of them.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
i can understand there a business and a good one at that, I'm still gonna hate them tho, if thats cause im jealous of their success or the fact that they can be complete arseholes sometimes...alot of the time...

i like moaning and hating, their a perfect target

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
They do what they do to make money... I just wish that they would do it without stomping on everyone else's feet.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
LaBambaMan said:
I have no problems with a company making money, it's what they're made to do. What I do have a problem with, however, is when a company just makes the same damn game a thousand times. I get the feeling that Activision is going to become the new Nintendo, just pumping out the same tired old franchises over and over again. But there in lies the problem: their rabid fan base will keep eating this crap up. How different is Modern Warfare 2 going to be from CoD4? A few new levels, maybe a new gun or two, but in the end it's still "point gun, shoot bad-guy, win game" nonsense. The Guitar Hero and Rock Band deal can only go on for so long before people, hopefully, realize "hey, they just charged me $60 for a few songs...only 3 of which I actually like!".
So who is to blame? Is it the company who sees a market and caters to it? Or is it the market itself that gobbles these up like Pac-Man on speed? Do you honestly believe that if people stopped buying every GH they spit out they would keep making them? Sounds to me like you are pointing a finger. And when you do there is 3 pointing back at you.

Have you forgotten that you do have a choice. That you don't have to buy COD MW 2 at $100. That there is no-one forcing you to buy every last GH. If you choose to then you can't go back and blame the company who made it. They didn't break into your house steal the money from your wallet and leave a game under your pillow. You walk into a store look at the selection of games and decide which ones you want to buy. The only thing they did was try and make their games look more appealing. Just like every other company no matter how big or small.