Nice Splice

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Nice Splice

MovieBob interviews the director of 2010's weirdest scifi movie, Splice.

Read Full Article

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Our film starts from the premise of "Well, we already stole the fire, so now what do you do with it? How do you handle it without getting burned?"

And i have been sold.

Interesting Interview, never heard of this man before, he sounds worthy of respect and admiration.

Gotta say i was kinda off about the movie, i got it in my head that it was gonna be a flake, looking back after reading this and your review, im not exactly sure, im pleasently suprised that it seems to be a really great movie.

also i agree with his views on Stem cell research ecetera.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
I actually didn't know that this was made by the director of Cube--a movie that I loved.

This one, however, just makes me uncomfortable, and not in a good way.

Not sure if I'll see it, but I AM more interested in it than I was as I'd written it off as yet another gorefest flick, but TY for the interview with him all the same! :D

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Shame the director of cube couldn't come up with the same gold he did previously...

A good attempt, but, that's all it was

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
Disturbing sex scene is disturbing, and most people won't be able to get over that. It doesn't work as a metaphor, not one bit.

Nonetheless an excellent interview. I lean towards the conservative side of things, but I do tire of pointing out that there is no command "Thou shalt not manipulate DNA".

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
At the beginning of the third act, the relationship between Adrien Brody and Dren takes a turn that a lot of the audience probably won't see coming.
Yeah. Right. Because the second you see her in trailers looking remotely human you're going to be surprised that someone is going to have sex with her. Especially when you can't help but think of it as another Species (even if the film does have greater merit).

If that's a twist the audience can't see coming than Prince of Persia must have blown their fucking minds.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
A hybrid named Dren, eh? You know if I was a Farscape nerd I could make a joke about a hybrid named Shit, but I won't.

Corvuus

May 18, 2010
i'm still on the fence for this.

i saw the trailer and it looked like utter fail. Hope I'm wrong but it looks like a bad movie with a bad trailer.

of course, i miss the guy who used to be the trailer voice (i think he died?).

C

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I think I'll go and see this.

and I'm sort of aware enough of these kinds of movies that I didn't want to imitate them. And the way to push it into the 21st Century was to make it a love triangle, that it's a couple who create Dren.
I would be surprised if this film mixes up the conventions as much as Enki Bilal's Immortal. Might be a teeny bit hard to match it terms of weirdness as well.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Yeah I kinda saw her trying to have sex with someone a mile off. It's a slightly more topical species. I get it. Still not going to see it.

Also, maybe i'm being overly sensitive, but the last thing we need right now when we're JUST starting to get stem cell and genetic research going again after nearly a decade of republican cockblocking is some sensationalist hollywood movie whose message is "LOLOLOLOL GENETIC MODIFICATION N CLONING IS EBIL AND SCIENTISTS R DUM" for the stupid people to latch onto.

Just saying.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
MovieBob said:
He was especially eager to talk about the "science part"; as a result, I've actually had to omit a few passages where we literally ceased talking about the movie and instead just mutually geeked out over a shared fascination with newsworthy biotech minutia.
Bob, any chance you could post what you omitted someplace? Maybe here in the comments? I'd love to read that, because, to be honest, you kind of lost me with the 'awakening junk genes' explanation: it is my understanding that the current thinking on the subject is still that those junk genes are just leftovers, and don't- couldn't- actually code for any functional proteins anymore; they're junk because they were rendered useless through mutation.

Of course, my knowledge is somewhat dated (a lot has happened in genetic science in the 15 years since I took my last graduate seminar), and I'm sure Mr. Natali consulted with experts in the field, so it'd be great to get the gory details of your conversation with him about it.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
Yeah I kinda saw her trying to have sex with someone a mile off. It's a slightly more topical species. I get it. Still not going to see it.

Also, maybe i'm being overly sensitive, but the last thing we need right now when we're JUST starting to get stem cell and genetic research going again after nearly a decade of republican cockblocking is some sensationalist hollywood movie whose message is "LOLOLOLOL GENETIC MODIFICATION N CLONING IS EBIL AND SCIENTISTS R DUM" for the stupid people to latch onto.

Just saying.
You did watch his review, right? That's not what the movie is saying, at least according to Bob.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:

Just saying.
You didn't watch the Video review? Bob made it pretty clear that the message is "scientists are gonna experiment anyway, so you best just accept it and make sure those experiments are done correctly and with proper controls..."

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
TsunamiWombat said:

Just saying.
Have you read the thing? Or watched the review?

The point is, it's NOT a sensationalist hollywood movie with the message of "LOLOLOL SCIENTISTS FUCKING UP IN GODS DOMAIN IS BAD STUFF" as it is with MOST science-fiction movies involving scientists and more or less controversial things.

If you want to see a movie that promotes anti-scientific and anti-progressive views, look at, oh, I don't know... Let's see, Reanimator definitely works here. I'll think of more movies and edit them in later.

The whole premise of "Well, we already stole the fire, so now what do you do with it? How do you handle it without getting burned?" is not the same as "We stole the fire and now the gods punished us all! Praise the gods! And don't fuck with their domain!".

The latter is annoying. The former is a reasonable idea.

Although, given the thickheadedness and idiocy of most fundamentalist folk, you're probably right. But then again, they can simply use a lot of other movies as ammunition. I mean, they didn't have this movie back a decade ago, and stem cell research didn't exactly go well in USA because of some assholes.

Seatownstriker

May 19, 2010
I'm kind of on the fence about the whole Genetic testing thing. Alot of people see it as a moral issue. On the other hand we will discover alot about ourselves we still dont' know yet. Good things and bad things.
And on the stem cell thing, from what I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong). But haven't they only got results from the stemcells found near your sinuses and not the ones at the base of your brain?

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
I like this guy.

I'm glad this movie is better than it's been made to look. If I'm reading this right, then the trailers are totally misrepresenting what this movie is like. Splice has been made to look like the kind of mindless cheap nonsense that has caused me to despise horror as a genre in general.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Billion Backs said:
TsunamiWombat said:

Just saying.
Have you read the thing? Or watched the review?

The point is, it's NOT a sensationalist hollywood movie with the message of "LOLOLOL SCIENTISTS FUCKING UP IN GODS DOMAIN IS BAD STUFF" as it is with MOST science-fiction movies involving scientists and more or less controversial things.

If you want to see a movie that promotes anti-scientific and anti-progressive views, look at, oh, I don't know... Let's see, Reanimator definitely works here. I'll think of more movies and edit them in later.

The whole premise of "Well, we already stole the fire, so now what do you do with it? How do you handle it without getting burned?" is not the same as "We stole the fire and now the gods punished us all! Praise the gods! And don't fuck with their domain!".

The latter is annoying. The former is a reasonable idea.

Although, given the thickheadedness and idiocy of most fundamentalist folk, you're probably right. But then again, they can simply use a lot of other movies as ammunition. I mean, they didn't have this movie back a decade ago, and stem cell research didn't exactly go well in USA because of some assholes.
Okay I HAVE seen his review now (hadn't realized it was wednesday) and he SAYS thats not the case, but movies are all about interpretation. And my interpretation?

Stupid people are going to be all over this movie about how aweful science is.

PS: If this is the case, the Trailers are COMPLETLY MISREPRESENTING THE MOVIE, and they are showing the real marketing message the studio wants you to see.