Nickelodeon Greenlights Steampunk Sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Nickelodeon Greenlights Steampunk Sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender

Avatar: The Last Airbender is getting a proper sequel next year that is being handled by the original series' creators.

Nickelodeon's <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Last-Airbender-Complete-Collectors/dp/B003DT1950/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1279740590&sr=8-1>Avatar: The Last Airbender was one of those great cartoon series that managed to hold a lot of simultaneous appeal for adults and kids by being relatively smart, funny, exciting, and moving at different points. Unfortunately, it also gave rise to M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender, the movie that many are claiming is the <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/lastairbender>worst thing to hit theaters this year. However, Nickelodeon has some good news for fans, as the company announced that a sequel to the animated series is in the works and will start airing sometime next year.

The new series' working title is The Legend of Korra and will be handled by the original Avatar creators Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. The new cartoon will take place a couple of generations after the original series, though it sounds like it might fill in the plot points that were left open at the end of the show:

The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang - a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra. With three of the four elements under her belt (Earth, Water, and Fire), Korra seeks to master the final element, Air. Her quest leads her to the epicenter of the modern Avatar world, Republic City - a metropolis that is fueled by steampunk technology. It is a virtual melting pot where benders and non-benders from all nations live and thrive. However, Korra discovers that Republic City is plagued by crime as well as a growing anti-bending revolution that threatens to rip it apart. Under the tutelage of Aang's son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training while dealing with the dangers at large.

So, let's recap. An animated sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender? Check. Involvement of the original creators? Check. Steampunk setting? Check. M. Night Shyamalan is nowhere near this? Big check. This sounds excellent, and I'm sure that I'm not the only Avatar fan who's really looking forward to 2011.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Old, shamanistic forces against an ever advancing world? Quite a change from the original story. Call me interested indeed. That and the fact that it has a steampunked setting. Hmhmhm I do love myself some steampunk.

I'm especially curious about how they're going to incorporate modern technology with bending. That could give us some very interesting machines indeed.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I do hope they explain what happened to Zuko's mom.

a7r0p05

Dec 10, 2008
I kinda thought there would be a Zuko-based spin-off because of the ending of the series. BUT, this seems like it might have much potential, I will be eagerly anticipating it.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Steampunk?
I go get my goggles and top hat.

EDIT: That girl must be skilled as hell to master 3 styles...while the avatar is still alive.
Edit dos: Okay, I get it...She is the new Avatar. No more qouting me, okay?

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
a7r0p05 said:
I kinda thought there would be a Zuko-based spin-off because of the ending of the series. BUT, this seems like it might have much potential, I will be eagerly anticipating it.
Inoerite? I am disappoint, Zuko was a great character, lots of character development. I would have liked to have seen the sequel they were hinting at at the end of the first series.

Either way this is great.

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
the most awesome news ive read all day...i like to see bigs wigs giving the fans what they want...

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
I am interested as well! It also doesn't look like there milking it since its made by the original creators. I always wondered how the world would look once the Fire Nation was done away with.

a7r0p05

Dec 10, 2008
Vaccine said:
a7r0p05 said:
Inoerite? I am disappoint, Zuko was a great character, lots of character development. I would have liked to have seen the sequel they were hinting at at the end of the first series.

Either way this is great.
I think maybe they will wrap up that storyline in this new series, or maybe have multiple spin-offs or something. At least I hope. If they are good, anyways.

Lissa-QUON

Jun 22, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
Steampunk?
I go get my goggles and top hat.

EDIT: That girl must be skilled as hell to master 3 styles...while the avatar is still alive.
They never said Aang is alive. In fact he pretty much has to be dead for her to be the next avatar. A son of Aang is apparently in this show.

Cuddlydemon

Sep 21, 2009
Just remember, this isn't an apology for the movie. It was in the works since the series itself actually ended. Nickelodeon's still got some 'splainin' to do.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Marik2 said:
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I do hope they explain what happened to Zuko's mom.
Me too.

I just really hope that it doesn't make me wish the series was on a different channel than Nick about half way through.

Watching the end of the first series made me feel like Nick's "Keep it for Kids" was holding it back.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Fuck yeah! Avatar was one of the nicer suprises for me this year (having watched all three seasons in around 2 weeks) and I was sad when it finally ended. This promises to be a worthy sucessor to it and another solid animated show. Though I'll miss Toph...