Nickelodeon Greenlights Steampunk Sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
I am really looking forward to this! And I have much hope now that the original writers are working on this. I might be able to forget the horror that is the movie The Last Airbender. This is the only true way to continue the franchise. And I honestly can't wait <3 I won't be picky; they should do whatever it seems right for them, as they never failed, not even once, during the three seasons of this show /overreacted love outbursts. I'd only like to see some cameos by the "old" characters, but whatever they do, I'm sure it'll be great.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
rettie said:
Sounds sooweeet. Hope metalbending has a large part in this as I'm sure it will.
I would rather it not. Mostly because I thought the ability to bend metal was Tophs special thing due to her unique circumstance.

(Also the push for anti-bending with technology based on bending may kinda be a bad idea...even though most fire nation technology is based off firebending...WHO KNOWS!:p)
Cowabungaa said:
Sokka is totally underrated. I heard Shamalaladingdong fucked him up royally in the movie, I cannot forgive him for that.
It was quite a feat, but he turned SoKka into SOkka, from comedic relief to sheer boring plot speaker.
chaos order said:
so the series will be base more on korra learning one element? mmm idk hw long this sequel will be seeing as aang learned 3 elements in like a few weeks/months each.
The learning of the elements was more like a hastened "You have a job that you don't have the degree for, get that degree so you can do it quick dammit!!!!!!"

This is just a particular point in the Avatars life, and folowing her while she discovers how the Republic City is like and the anti-bending revolution and such.
dathwampeer said:
I want to know how Aang died. He was around 12 -14 in the final episode. 70 years on and the next avatar is a teenager. meaning he must have died about 15 years before this series takes place. meaning he would have been in his 60's when he died. There are plenty of people way way past that age in the first show. So dying of natural causes is probably a bit of a stretch. Meaning something killed him. I assume he taught air bending to people to get the culture back on it's feet again. It will make an interesting plot point though. We may see him appear to her as a spirit guide like roku did for him.
Interesting theory, however I am thinking more something to do with the Avatar cycle he nearly broke by being alive so long, or just the effects of being alive for over 100 years.
Dfskelleton said:
I heard the cartoon was good, but didn't care to much when I did watch it. I heard from my good friend that the movie was pretty much just all the characters flaring their nostrils for a couple hours.
I'm curious as to how this contributes at all to the topic at hand. If you don't have anything to say about the new series then why are you posting at all?
Monicro said:
Let's just hope they pronounce the damn names right this time (seriously, how did they fuck that up?)
I was also confused and annoyed by Shamwow's writing staff's shenanigans with the names.
Kyman102 said:
Moving on to a female water bender also points out the male-female pattern, which seems to go "The avatar is always reincarnated as the opposite gender as a small cycle progresses, until you reach Air, then their gender will be the same as the fire bender before them." So from this I'm going to wager that before Chuyang, the prior Avatar was female.

And I'm done nerding out, here's hoping that this series lives up to its predecessor.
I'm not so sure that the gender of the Avatar is set in stone, the cycle is, but I'm skeptical that it might just be a huge coincidence. Plus it doesn't matter so much what gender the Avatar is born right?
Czargent Sane said:
like boomi. old bastard's never gonna die.
It's sad to think that we'll never see Boomi ever again :(
Flig said:
I can't help but wonder how and if the Order of the White Lotus will be brought back.
The order seems like it's been around for a while, so I doubt it'd be gone in just a short time :p
captaincabbage said:
lol I dunno about that, he did live 'till 82 since it's 70 years in the future.
Unfortionatly it's more like 62, since this Avatar is likely older than 0 when we go in :p

Unless it's 70 years until Korra's birth, then her learing of airbending will be like 85 years later.
emeraldrafael said:
I dontk now if steam punk is a good way to go. I mean, yes, the fire nation had machines, and yes, toph could bend metal. But at the core of that was the overwhelming message that nature beats machine. It sounds like what will happen here is she is fighting machines and probably metal benders. That just takes out the whole human growth that you saw in Zuko as the villian turned good guy that was enjoyable. When you fight metal men... it just doenst carry the whimsical ways.

and yes, i get that it is trying to keep the original audience by giving a more grown up tail, but if they make it this grunge-like drama without the cast of colorfully playful characters, it just wont seem the same, and will seem like someone took it away from the creators. Lets not forget, the creators of avatar were there with M. Night in his film and look how that went.
True point, but it's better to be on the optimistic side of things. After all while that may have been a major theme in the first series this series is taking that and going in a new direction. Because of that theme we know that things aren't going to shape up very well (major industrial city has the most crime and such). It will be interesting to see the seemingly natural based world of Avatar become more like our own, rejecting the old ways (perhaps foolishly).

OT: Godammit I chose a bad time to go play Mars Effect... anyway I loved the first series and this has me excited for the next year.

But I certainly hope that anybody on the writing staff for the movie is instantly disqualified for being a part of this series writing staff. Godammit the writing in that film was rubbish.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
yeah, I guess so. I want to look forward to it, I really REALLY do! but.... I saw The Last Airbender film and it pretty much went into the part of my heart that finds Avatar so completely amazing and threw it in the blender that is M. Night's S****y career. So I feel like i have to put a wall up and protect it, so that doesnt happen again. The last Airbender film made me very, VERY upset and i just dont want to see that happen a second time. Especially since i can have faith in the people leading this escapade.

BboyTeddyBear

Mar 8, 2010
i think i'll follow this a little bit during 2011 since i loved the original series i luckily forewent the movie which seems to be my benefit that i didnt hop the bandwagon. Though the big kicker is the original creators are in on this. so the story is going to be nicely done or at the least with a proper setting and feel to it

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Dr. wonderful said:
It already bad enough they were RIGHT about the next avatar being in the water tribe.
But that was established in like, the third episode.

Drejer43 said:
SPOILERS!! That was my problem too, it's like the writers thought " oh shit how are we going to end this with out killing someone" and then they throw in this random character (or island?) in the second last episode (I think) and he gives Aang this completely unexplained bullshit power
But having Aang kill Ozai would have been completely against his character, he spent most of the third season stressing about having to actually kill someone and how it goes against everything he believes in.

Orcus_35 said:
Woaw from Middle Ages to "Modern Times" kind of city, in 70 years is damn fast ! did they used Merlin's wand again ?
Did you miss all the technology the Fire Nation had? Huge iron ships? A gigantic drill the size of a small city? A tank/train combination capable of going damn near anywhere? Airships? Oh yeah, they totally had all those back in the middle ages.

Nigh Invulnerable said:
What purpose would gun powder serve if you can just shoot fire from your hands? However, in the original series there is one of the Rough Rhinos who uses dynamite.
How about the roughly 90% of people that can't bend?

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Dr. wonderful said:
Steampunk?
I go get my goggles and top hat.

EDIT: That girl must be skilled as hell to master 3 styles...while the avatar is still alive.
What part of the following did you miss?

vansau said:
Nickelodeon Greenlights Steampunk Sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender

The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang - a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra.
If you watched the show you should already know that only the Avatar can bend more than one element.

Dr. wonderful said:
..WUT.

Oh that is cruel, man. "Hey you know that guy, you cared so much about? He died! :D."

I feel like a sad bear now.
This Korra is also a teenager. That means Aang has been dead for at least 13 years. But then he's not truly dead as we can expect him appearing in the spirit world. In the physical world he lives on reincarnated as Korra.

Now what would be awkward if Tenzin becomes the romantic interest. :/

"Who's your daddy?"

You may think I'm sick, but somewhere on the internet there are already deviantarts and slash fic being churned out right now.

Jandau said:
Fuck yeah! Avatar was one of the nicer suprises for me this year (having watched all three seasons in around 2 weeks) and I was sad when it finally ended. This promises to be a worthy sucessor to it and another solid animated show. Though I'll miss Toph...
I think it will be safe to assume that Toph will probably end up as the new Bumi. She was already nobility and the most powerful Earth Bender alive in the original series.

I can't wait. The movie was truly awful. And it's funny how yesterday I just had an argument with a guy claiming the the Air Nomads are supposed to be white and he couldn't see anything Asian or Tibetan about them.

Aang's mentor is named Tenzin Gyatso and so is his son! He wears orange has a bald head and lives up on the mountains reincarnated as the world's enlightned being! I don't know how transparent you can get.

But this is the same guy who didn't understand the apartheid references in District 9, and thought the idea stupid and unrealistic.

Browbeat

Jul 21, 2009
You know something? I'll bite. Let's make it a little more twisted. A different spin on an existing IP. It will probably still be a commercial failure, but I would like to see it.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
So glad a live-action wasn't what this incredible series would end on. I actually welcome the wait, want to make sure this is done right.

The Free Wind

Jul 12, 2010
Can't wait to see how this turns out. This time around, they will probably make the bending even MORE crazy, maybe even crazier than "The Crossroads of Destiny", and THAT bending was crazy as hell!

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I am on board for all of it except for maybe the steam-punked thing. I am kinda iffy on that. I will wait and see how they do it. It isn't something that will turn me off to the show but it will effect my ultimate review of the show.

Dr. wonderful said:
Steampunk?
I go get my goggles and top hat.

EDIT: That girl must be skilled as hell to master 3 styles...while the avatar is still alive.
Korra is the avatar after Aang which implies Aang is dead.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The steampunk setting actually makes sense since Steam tech is what powered the Fire Nation's war machines, and since they stopped being bad guys, their tech spread out to the other nations.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
My question is does Aang's son have air bending? Other than that I cannot wait to watch this.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
*Jaw drops* uhh...no....way.... *drools* YESSSS!!! FUCK! YES! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! .... *ehem* right um...yes, this rocks. Huray for Avatar! I loved this show, so happy there'll be another series :D

cabalistics

May 4, 2009
I hope they don't treat as before showing 10 or so episodes and then going on a six month hiatus then another three or four and another break with all the gaps being filled by repeats so it's impossible to follow it

kaveradeo

Jul 12, 2010
Why a water bender... Its just katara made over sounds like. That's the only thing that disappoints me.