Nickelodeon Greenlights Steampunk Sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Sounds neat, and it might get me to start watching the series regularly. I just couldn't get into it before, mainly do to the designs seemingly they where trying to be anime, but now that the studio is trying to make it look more steampunkish, I might start watching it.

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
Screenshot looks nice, it's different, but I think i could learn to love that animation.

I just hope they don't transition it to be more like the "typical" anime. you know with all the "believe in yourself" bullshit and taking 10 episodes to finish 1 fight. *knocks on wood*

I don't think it would though, since it seems the whole plot is a rebellion in a city, not the entire free world like last time.

But seriously, REALLY excited for it.

Korra seems about 15 Aang was 13 at the end I think which means Aang died at about 68.

Previous statement suggests other characters may be seen. Toph most likely, being youngest.

10 bucks says Aang married Katara.

My single biggest hope though is that the 2 dragons from that one episode were opposite sex and dragons are now abundant.

Also Zuko's mom.

I hope the fact that it's set in a single city doesn't take away from the diversity caused by world exploration in the previous series. The diversity of the animals, styles of architecture and weaponry, and culture was really on of my favorite things of the series.

Also, i bet we see Aang in the avatar state. I want to see him old

Is energy bending abundant? Can the new avatar girl? Did Aang keep it to himself?

And those are my initial thoughts, typed as i was thinking of it.

hieiwrath

Mar 20, 2009
Thank god they will make a sequel avatar was great. Hope they make a very big serie with a lot of cool characters like Sokka and Toph.

xChips

Sep 29, 2009
You remmember how in the original they given alot of time to explaining the dificult background storyline? god i hope they will do it here aswell , mostly about what happened to the main charecters :D

profpeanut said:
One word: Steambenders.

Admit it, that would be totally awesome.
You mean AIR benders?

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
All I can say is, holy shit, holy shit, a swordfish almost went through my head I CAN'T WAIT.
Seriously. Avatar? Steampunk? No Muh Night Shymamalamalan? Fuck yes!

knight of zendikar

Sep 21, 2009
Kavonde said:
So, you know how in Avatar, Katara would sometimes dress up like a spirit or a ninja and turn into this dark, relentless, unstoppable badass? She was, basically, a teenage girl version of Batman.

So now we've got a new series, set nearly a century into the future, centered around a dark and corrupt city infested with crime and dangerous zealots. And we've got a new teenage girl, who's also a waterbender. And while we know Aang's gone, we don't know about Katara yet.

All I'm saying is, if Katara shows up as a grizzled old recluse that has to train Korra to take up her mantle as the city's protector [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BatmanBeyond], that will be awesome.

Bonus points of there's a gang of sociopathic Azula wannabes.
I see what yoou did there with the whole refrencing my two favorite series of all time together... nicely done I award you a cookie

But I Aggre most likely if any character plays a major role from the original series it would be sokka as an iroh figure.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I just finished watching the series tonight. I can't believe I missed such a great show. Still, the ending left me unsatisfied. Whilst they did solve the romance between Aang and Katara there's still the question of what happened to Zuko's mother. I hate it when shows end in cliff hangers.

Still, more Avatar is more Avatar and I'm happy there's another series. Hopefully it won't be shit like the new season of Futurama is.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I see some people are getting mad over this. May I say; Avatar was already halfway between steampunk and Da Vinci, so bumping it over the line on the steampunk side isn't going to make as big of a difference as you think. It'll be the characters that make or break this, not the technology level!

arcade109

Jul 7, 2010
I saw one episode of the original and it was way too kiddish for me. It may just have been that one episode but I just have no interest in anything to do with an animeish show produced by Nickelodeon.

profpeanut

Nov 19, 2009
xChips said:
You remmember how in the original they given alot of time to explaining the dificult background storyline? god i hope they will do it here aswell , mostly about what happened to the main charecters :D

profpeanut said:

You mean AIR benders?
No, no, Steambenders, a.k.a. waterbenders that specialize in bending pressurized vapor much like how sandbenders are a different kind of earthbender, a.k.a. a totally awesome result of bending + steampunk.

MissAshley

Jul 20, 2009
It all makes sense now. Shyamalan's film was a decoy.

If this new series isn't too good, at least people can say it wasn't as bad as The Last Airbender.

arcade109 said:
I saw one episode of the original and it was way too kiddish for me. It may just have been that one episode but I just have no interest in anything to do with an animeish show produced by Nickelodeon.
Considering the use of the word "animeish" in your post, I'm guessing it was less the episode and more you.

Perons Treefrog

Jul 24, 2010
Hey...don't be too sad. Remember the Avatar doesn't really die. He/she reincarnates into another person...that is, the next Avatar...in this case that water tribe girl. And she (and us) will probably still have access to the "grown up" Aang through her visions and dreams. In the way that Aang used to seek advice from his previous incarnations when he was confused or needed some wisdom.
A new series. How wonderful. So many possibilities. I think I'm reading the mood in this room right when I say I'm not the only one that's pretty dam excited....

AmbrMerlinus

Feb 2, 2009
arcade109 said:
That's nice.

As for me, I am excited to the point of exploding. 2011 can't come soon enough!

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
profpeanut said:

And firebenders that use explosives and gun powder / bombs.

Oh and Water / medicine benders who fire projectiles to penetrate your skin and poison you.

And bring on the metal benders!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ouch...The Last Airbender must've stung for some fans =/ I mean, how does a film get such bad ratings? (i.e. worse than Twilight haha)