Nicolas Cage Claims He's Done Playing Ghost Rider

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Nicolas Cage Claims He's Done Playing Ghost Rider

Hyper-prolific actor Nicolas Cage is hanging up his flaming skull, claiming that he's done playing Ghost Rider on the silver screen.

If we were to describe the film career of Nicolas Cage in a single word, it would have to "schizophrenic." On the one hand, Cage won a Best Actor Oscar in 1996 for Leaving Las Vegas. On the other, he's more recently been seen in movies like Stolen, which was nearly a direct-to-video release that is best described as a blatant rip-off of the Liam Neeson thriller Taken. Then, on an inexplicable third hand, you have movies like Drive Angry, which certainly wasn't high cinema but was undeniably fun and allowed Cage to do what he does best: Chew scenery like a starving man at an all-bacon buffet.

As a result of this sporadically impressive filmography, we aren't exactly sure how to feel about the news that Cage has no intention to return to the role of Johnny Blaze in future films based on Marvel Comics' Ghost Rider character. Speaking to MTV, Cage laid it all out in pretty simple terms: "I think the ship has sailed on [Ghost Rider]. At least with me involved. Personally, I'm done. I've done what I had to do with that part. You never say never, but right now, today, I would say that I'm done."

Cage had previously portrayed the hellbound biker in 2007's Ghost Rider and 2011's Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Neither of these films were what one could consider objectively good, but they did have a few fun moments and both films managed to turn a profit. Granted, the revenue generated by these movies pales in comparison to other Marvel films (The Avengers, for instance), but they certainly pulled down enough money to ensure that at some point in the future there will be another Ghost Rider movie.

So, do we start speculating on potential replacements for Cage? Sure, go nuts. The comments section is below. That said, we're not entirely sure that Cage is actually finished with the character. Yes, we heard what he said, but it's also important to remember that Nicolas Cage is quite possibly the biggest comic book geek in Hollywood. His desire to play a Marvel Comics superhero was a huge part of why the original Ghost Rider movie was made in the first place, and while the man's acting talents may appear mercurial his passions certainly aren't. It's not that we're doubting his claims that he's done with Ghost Rider, it's just that we wouldn't be entirely stunned to find out that he's changed his mind a year or two from now.

Source: MTV [http://splashpage.mtv.com/2013/03/08/nicolas-cage-ghost-rider/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Nicholas Cage still wants to play Superman one day. The sad part is that it'd probably make for a better movie than Brian Singer's attempt at one XD

AlexanderPeregrine

Nov 19, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Cage had previously portrayed the hellbound biker in 2007's Ghost Rider and 2011's Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.
The sequel came out in 2012 during everybody's second favorite cinematic wasteland of February.

As far as this announcement goes, it's not going to last. Nicolas Cage takes these kinds of schlock roles because he has (or maybe had) serious debt problems. Regardless whether or not he comes back, I do think Ghost Rider needs to be reimagined because both of those films were boring as hell. There's no sense of any vulnerability or limit to the character, with him doing things not because it fits with the established physics and character motivation, but because the script says this plot event must happen at this point. It takes real talent to make a movie about a motorcyclist with a flaming skull for a head dull.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
What does it say about Ghost Rider when even Nicolas Cage isn't interested in doing up for another one?

Unless he's found Jesus, or is pretending he has, since he's currently signed up for christian fundamentalist 'epic' "Left Behind."

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Two films too late, I'd say. The first Ghost Rider was pretty terrible, and I hear the second one's somehow managed to be worse. For Cage's sake, I hope at least the money was good.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
Ghost Rider confirmed for Avengers 2: Avenge Harder! (I wish)
Sixcess said:
What does it say about Ghost Rider when even Nicolas Cage isn't interested in doing up for another one?

Unless he's found Jesus, or is pretending he has, since he's currently signed up for christian fundamentalist 'epic' "Left Behind."
Couldn't be worse than the one Kirk Cameron made. The books were decent at least, for what you'd find in an airport bookstore, but I doubt you'd enjoy them or be able to look past their faults if you weren't a WASP.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Think they need to pull the plug on Ghost Rider for now.

The first one was average at best, second one wasn't even straight-to-dvd worthy.

Time to give a more obscure comic book character a go and let Nicholas Cage go back to being crazy...in a good way like in Bad Lieutenant.

And hopefully not in a 'wtf am I watching!?' way like The Wicker Man.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
And as the prophecies had foretold, the day one could use this picture has come:

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Maybe it's just that he's done playing Ghost Rider and is now going to actually become Ghost Rider, because he's just that mad. That's true method acting right there.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well the Ghost Rider films were just sort of "meh" in general so I don't really mind what happens to them. I like Cage as an actor though, I will always love huge hammy melodrama.

And Ghost Rider has a huge burning skull? Hmm. How'd it get burned I wonder? How'd it get burned?! HOW'D IT GET BURNED?!?!?!!?

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Good The second movie threw out most of the 1st movie and rewrote what the rider was making all very stupid.
MarsProbe said:
Maybe it's just that he's done playing Ghost Rider and is now going to actually become Ghost Rider, because he's just that mad. That's true method acting right there.
Maybe he did have that Elvis phase for awhile if you remember.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Sixcess said:
I don't think that he's gone religious, I think that Nic Cage is just insane enough to find any kind of project fun to do. Knowing him, he'll be playing the Anti-Christ, and will be so hammy that the world will be a far better place for it. Nic Cage doesn't do what Nic Cage does for Nic Cage. Nic Cage does what Nic Cage does because he is Nic Cage.