NieR Replicant ver.1.22 release date announced

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Earlier in the year Square Enix announced an 'updated re-release' of sorts for NieR Replicant, called NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139.... During their recent TGS stream they have shown off a bit more of the game as well as the release dates: April 22nd, 2021 for Japan, and April 24th, 2021 for the rest of the world, on PS4, XboX One and PC (Steam), and a few details on the packaging. Though there doesn't seem to be any word on an English dub yet.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Not the old man version? I thought that one was more cannon?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I missed this game back on PS3, I'd be down to give it a shot this next time around.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
So for those who never played it... it's not that good of a game (from a gameplay point of view). Some people even say it's a deconstruction of unnecessary open world game, most side quest are extremely boring fetch quest and the world is pretty big but mostly empty. Basic combat is barebone, even more so than automata, with a bunch of magic spell that do exactly the same things.

Music is great and the story as quite a few interesting WTF moment, but it's a drudge to go trough it. Watch a lets play with no commentary and you're getting everything good about the game and can skip all the boring. The game also does the whole "you have to play trough it multiple time to get the full story" except with even less variation than automata had.

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Not the old man version? I thought that one was more cannon?
Considering the multiple timeline aspect of the Drakengard/NieR franchise, they're basically both canon (both of them are even referenced in Automata). That said, BroNier is used almost exclusively by Japan in advertising, merchandising and side story stuff.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Big papa Nier or no buy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know Platinum is acting as a consultant for the remake, and it is noticeable in the new version. Combat is so much smoother compared to the original Nier. I have no need for it as I've seen multiple playthroughs and analysis of the original Nier. I had my fill of the sequel and I have not much reason to go back to it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So for those who never played it... it's not that good of a game (from a gameplay point of view). Some people even say it's a deconstruction of unnecessary open world game, most side quest are extremely boring fetch quest and the world is pretty big but mostly empty. Basic combat is barebone, even more so than automata, with a bunch of magic spell that do exactly the same things.

Music is great and the story as quite a few interesting WTF moment, but it's a drudge to go trough it. Watch a lets play with no commentary and you're getting everything good about the game and can skip all the boring. The game also does the whole "you have to play trough it multiple time to get the full story" except with even less variation than automata had.
I pretty much did that prior to Neir Automata and while I found it interesting, at no point did I ever feel like tracking down an actual copy to play it. None of the combat or gameplay looked particularly noteworthy and I'd be there for the story/characters regardless.

Also, there's a bunch of stuff in the manual that explains how they got to the world being covered in ash.....er, salt in the beginning that's barely alluded to in the game.

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Also, there's a bunch of stuff in the manual that explains how they got to the world being covered in ash.....er, salt in the beginning that's barely alluded to in the game.
Well most of the game does take place over 1000 years after that happened.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I pretty much did that prior to Neir Automata and while I found it interesting, at no point did I ever feel like tracking down an actual copy to play it. None of the combat or gameplay looked particularly noteworthy and I'd be there for the story/characters regardless.

The ash part is actually one of the ending from drakengard 1, iirc. I'd say drakengard 1 gameplay is a bit better than nier, if you like dynasty warrior, but it's also not a stellar game. Lots of cool wtf moment there too (Ginat man eating baby coming down from the sky and such).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The ash part is actually one of the ending from drakengard 1, iirc. I'd say drakengard 1 gameplay is a bit better than nier, if you like dynasty warrior, but it's also not a stellar game. Lots of cool wtf moment there too (Ginat man eating baby coming down from the sky and such).
Oh, I'm famalier with that too. I youtubed a play-through of that before I youtubed Nier.

I wanted to have some idea what was going on in Nier Automata. Then I played the game and realized almost none of it actually mattered, except some background on Emil, Devola and Popola.

But yep, that was pretty wierd and disturbing. The fact the final battle in the TOKYO ending is almost literally nothing but the sound of church bells makes it all kinds of creepy to me.