Nifty Halo: Reach Multiplayer Trailer Features Jetpacks

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Oh That Dude said:
Sonicron said:
This looks like a lot of fun.

Sadly I'll never get to use this feature. Why? Because I'm still not willing to pay a load of money for the privilege of getting cussed at by a whole world full of twitching brainless children.
They've invented this genius little device to counteract that problem. It's called a mute button.
Brilliant.
So not only is there almost no chance of having civilized communication during and inbetween matches in the first place, but in order to have even the slightest chance of enjoying the online multiplayer - the aforementioned being a game mode ostensibly designed to bring gamers together - I'm virtually forced to disable the only feature that makes real-time communication possible (which is vital in a team-based game)...?
Yeah, you're not exactly selling me on XBL here. Not your fault, though; the deal just stinks no matter what angle you look at it from.

Angry Caterpillar

Feb 26, 2010
...Am I the only one disappointed to see Elites back again?

I can only pray they make some difference between them, make a better hitbox on the head (I swear on my grandmother's grave, it ain't right in Halo 3), and.....remove them before it's released.

I suppose it wouldn't be that bad if there was an actual difference, but really, if there isn't, stick with the simple small armor permutations, and have it otherwise uniform.

Or at least keep them away from snipers and swat.

gerrymander61

Sep 28, 2008
I'm looking forward to everyone who complains constantly about Halo to eat 100 dicks when this comes out and blows their minds away.

Oh That Dude

Nov 22, 2009
Sonicron said:
Oh That Dude said:
Sonicron said:

Sadly I'll never get to use this feature. Why? Because I'm still not willing to pay a load of money for the privilege of getting cussed at by a whole world full of twitching brainless children.
They've invented this genius little device to counteract that problem. It's called a mute button.
Brilliant.
So not only is there almost no chance of having civilized communication during and inbetween matches in the first place, but in order to have even the slightest chance of enjoying the online multiplayer - the aforementioned being a game mode ostensibly designed to bring gamers together - I'm virtually forced to disable the only feature that makes real-time communication possible (which is vital in a team-based game)...?
Well, therein lies the genius part. You can choose to mute only the irritating ones.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Sonicron said:

But you also get the privilege of shooting them and it's perfectly legal! This is why I never was bothered too much by the surprisingly few immature asswipes I encountered in Halo 3 multiplayer (honestly, I encountered more playing Team Fortress 2 on the PC). Because all you have to do is play better than them and their crowing either falls silent or turns into a glorious symphony of butthurt rage. Plus as has been said, you can identify and mute them individually, and permanently if I remember right.

DrEmo said:
Don't take this the wrong way, people, I enjoy Halo and I really wanna play reach, but think about this:
It's a PREQUEL and it has better mechanics than the other Halos and jetpacks.
AHAHAH!
It's like the ODST/Spartans/UNSC or whatever the hell these guys are lost their training, jetpacks and a couple hundred polygons after a few years or service.

That's the problem with prequels.
No that's the problem with not thinking this over.

Halo 1: Pillar of Autumn is running from a battle, no time to resupply, the only jetpacks they would've had were used by the SPARTANS and only John is left and he more or less destroyed his during the battle for Reach (it might have actually been a dedicated EVA unit which wouldn't even work on a planet/halo anyway). Plus when you don't know the extents of Halo's gravity and environmental restrictions the last thing you want to do is tool around in a jetpack
Halo 2: More or less the same applies here, especially since they're basically fighting a running battle from start to finish.
Halo 3: Brutes had jetpacks. Humans did not possibly because they were fighting on their front doorstep and didn't have enough trained jump troopers. Also I'm really guessing that the jetpack usage on planets at least is a SPARTAN-only thing given the amount of finesse and physical upkeep you'd need for the maneuvers. So seeing as how again, John is the only SPARTAN in the game, it's not like he's going to have easy access to one.

On the other hand it makes perfect sense for the SPARTAN team on Reach to have them because they were deployed there rather than running from somewhere to there. I'm hoping you don't think I took it the wrong way, I'm just saying it is possible to justify why there are no jetpacks in the other games. Even moreso, it could be that Jetpacks are not standard equipment, and thus it makes perfect sense to not have them unless they feel the mission calls for it.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
I was hoping they would add a grenade launcher that wasn't crap. but so far it looks good, maybe even buy it before Yahtzee says "ITS CRAP DUR!" and everyone instantly agrees with him. I was leaning towards the single player(I have given up on multyplayer being any fun in a Halo game because of the people that play it) with all of it's new and shiny features.

Angry Caterpillar

Feb 26, 2010
HG131 said:
The hitboxes are the same. If you don't believe me, believe Bungie, as they said the same. I though I had escaped this argument with my limited involvement on Bungie.net, but noooooo.
They're the same in Reach, or they're the same as the Spartans? I hope neither is true, because if they're the same in Reach I'm going to cry, and if they're the same as the Spartans...that just makes no sense, they're built completely differently!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Magic Hobo said:
HG131 said:
The hitboxes are the same. If you don't believe me, believe Bungie, as they said the same. I though I had escaped this argument with my limited involvement on Bungie.net, but noooooo.
They're the same in Reach, or they're the same as the Spartans? I hope neither is true, because if they're the same in Reach I'm going to cry, and if they're the same as the Spartans...that just makes no sense, they're built completely differently!
Well the classes in TF2 have different hitboxes and that seems to work out all right.

Angry Caterpillar

Feb 26, 2010
AceDiamond said:
Well the classes in TF2 have different hitboxes and that seems to work out all right.
Maybe so, but the heads aren't all as completely different as the Spartans/Elites. The Elites are just so damn bent over that it can be ridiculously hard to get a headshot, and half the time you can't tell the difference between the head and neck.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Sonicron said:

But you also get the privilege of shooting them and it's perfectly legal! This is why I never was bothered too much by the surprisingly few immature asswipes I encountered in Halo 3 multiplayer (honestly, I encountered more playing Team Fortress 2 on the PC). Because all you have to do is play better than them and their crowing either falls silent or turns into a glorious symphony of butthurt rage. Plus as has been said, you can identify and mute them individually, and permanently if I remember right.

DrEmo said:
Don't take this the wrong way, people, I enjoy Halo and I really wanna play reach, but think about this:
It's a PREQUEL and it has better mechanics than the other Halos and jetpacks.
AHAHAH!
It's like the ODST/Spartans/UNSC or whatever the hell these guys are lost their training, jetpacks and a couple hundred polygons after a few years or service.

That's the problem with prequels.
No that's the problem with not thinking this over.

Halo 1: Pillar of Autumn is running from a battle, no time to resupply, the only jetpacks they would've had were used by the SPARTANS and only John is left and he more or less destroyed his during the battle for Reach (it might have actually been a dedicated EVA unit which wouldn't even work on a planet/halo anyway). Plus when you don't know the extents of Halo's gravity and environmental restrictions the last thing you want to do is tool around in a jetpack
Halo 2: More or less the same applies here, especially since they're basically fighting a running battle from start to finish.
Halo 3: Brutes had jetpacks. Humans did not possibly because they were fighting on their front doorstep and didn't have enough trained jump troopers. Also I'm really guessing that the jetpack usage on planets at least is a SPARTAN-only thing given the amount of finesse and physical upkeep you'd need for the maneuvers. So seeing as how again, John is the only SPARTAN in the game, it's not like he's going to have easy access to one.

On the other hand it makes perfect sense for the SPARTAN team on Reach to have them because they were deployed there rather than running from somewhere to there. I'm hoping you don't think I took it the wrong way, I'm just saying it is possible to justify why there are no jetpacks in the other games. Even moreso, it could be that Jetpacks are not standard equipment, and thus it makes perfect sense to not have them unless they feel the mission calls for it.
About the Halo 1 thing and the "tooling around with a jetpack" Well, they were perfectly fine tooling around with human weapons/explosives/vehicles in an alien world and a jet-pack would have been a great tactical tool, seeing as how most of the covenant can't fly. Remember, this is Halo we're talking about here, the only tactical maneuver you can do is "Run, jump, shoot, hide to refresh shields, repeat"

What about the ODST? They're jumping from a freakin' ship without a jetpack or a parachute for that matter.

Another thing, Spartans can't really move fast enough to operate a jet-pack. Anyone who has played halo knows that playing as a spartan feels more like you're operating a tank, which is NOT convenient, considering the fact that Spartans are always in the middle of frantic firefights and can't dash for cover if their life depended on it (which it does)

Couldn't the humans STEAL the brute's jet-packs or something? They have no problem stealing and somehow operating alien weaponry like marksmen.

And your point on the whole "IT WAS A RUNNING BATTLE!" thing is kinda moot. You regroup with marines plenty of times and you get supply drops and even go to HQ at some points. Someone could have delivered a jetpack or a team of jet-pack snipers.

Over-thinking Halo is unrewarding. It's the future, and Jet-packs haven't become standard-issue military equipment? Hasn't Bungie learned from Sci-fi films?

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Oh man, I love this trailer. It gives me all the thrills and chills that only anticipation can provide, largely because of the ability to play as an elite has returned comfortably in Halo: Reach.