Nigerian government bans Twitter following President Buhari's tweet being deleted.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
What does that mean?
Deleting claims that go against certain political positions.
Like how any claims Covid didn't come from a Pangolin in a wet market were quickly seeing the claims be deleted. Especially if anyone suggested Wuhan's lab might have been at one point researching bat coronaviruses........

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Deleting claims that go against certain political positions.
Like how any claims Covid didn't come from a Pangolin in a wet market were quickly seeing the claims be deleted. Especially if anyone suggested Wuhan's lab might have been at one point researching bat coronaviruses........
I'm willing to listen to facts, not lies

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Make you're own website and publish stuff. Twitter is hard to replicate but a website isn't
I don't have a website I do have a blog oddly enough I upload stuff to lol

I'm willing to listen to facts, not lies
As a reminder the New York Post was banned for breaking the Hunter Biden Laptop story initially.
I've seen people claiming they have been banned for criticism of the CCP and other such things too.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't have a website I do have a blog oddly enough I upload stuff to lol

As a reminder the New York Post was banned for breaking the Hunter Biden Laptop story initially.
I've seen people claiming they have been banned for criticism of the CCP and other such things too.
They did that at the Intercept... because Greenwald was overblowing the importance of the laptop. I.e. not fact checking before releasing a story. Similar thing SHOULD have happen about Trump Jnr meeting Russians in Trump tower. Maybe if journalists did better fact checking instead of trying to grab headlines we wouldn't in this mess.

As to the lab. I can definitely see the CCP lying. Saying 'they worked on bats so clearly they started Covid 19' does not have enough evidence (at least at this time.)

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
They did that at the Intercept... because Greenwald was overblowing the importance of the laptop. I.e. not fact checking before releasing a story. Similar thing SHOULD have happen about Trump Jnr meeting Russians in Trump tower. Maybe if journalists did better fact checking instead of trying to grab headlines we wouldn't in this mess.

As to the lab. I can definitely see the CCP lying. Saying 'they worked on bats so clearly they started Covid 19' does not have enough evidence (at least at this time.)
And yet they blocked even talking about the idea of the lab leak for a while.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Maybe if journalists did better fact checking instead of trying to grab headlines we wouldn't in this mess.
Why stop at journalists?

Social media is filled with all sorts of informationally toxic material from people who either know nothing or are deliberately lying. Troll farms, political activists and conspiracy theoriests are far more a worry than journalists in terms of social media disinformation. For instance, it's not significantly journalists who convinced 70% of Republicans that Biden cheated his way to the presidency and inspired a few thousand to assault the Capitol.

The bottom line, however, is that the sort of people who bleat hardest about social media bans are the people most prone to or invested in spreading disinformation. Effectively, the demand is that they want to lie and bullshit and never be called out on it. They don't give a damn about free speech except from a completely self-serving notion that they should be able to say what they like without impediment, criticism or negative consequences.

The irony is that their non-stop parade of lies and bullshit is what has caused bans, because of a perception that misinformation has reached crisis levels. If people do not exercise their freedoms with responsibility, the inevitability is that society enacts self-protection and curtails those abused freedoms. And the irresponsible will then go blubbing on about the unfairness that they cannot abuse their freedoms anymore, like any child that has misbehaved and had their toys removed.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Why stop at journalists?

Social media is filled with all sorts of informationally toxic material from people who either know nothing or are deliberately lying. Troll farms, political activists and conspiracy theoriests are far more a worry than journalists in terms of social media disinformation. For instance, it's not significantly journalists who convinced 70% of Republicans that Biden cheated his way to the presidency and inspired a few thousand to assault the Capitol.

The bottom line, however, is that the sort of people who bleat hardest about social media bans are the people most prone to or invested in spreading disinformation. Effectively, the demand is that they want to lie and bullshit and never be called out on it. They don't give a damn about free speech except from a completely self-serving notion that they should be able to say what they like without impediment, criticism or negative consequences.

The irony is that their non-stop parade of lies and bullshit is what has caused bans, because of a perception that misinformation has reached crisis levels. If people do not exercise their freedoms with responsibility, the inevitability is that society enacts self-protection and curtails those abused freedoms. And the irresponsible will then go blubbing on about the unfairness that they cannot abuse their freedoms anymore, like any child that has misbehaved and had their toys removed.
Yeh no. Wasn't it found in another threat that more left wing people have spread fake news without knowing while more right wing people had spread false claims not attached to a publication (so memes mostly)?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You should be skeptical of any claim that either group is more anything than the other
Indeed - bar the one example used only because it is particularly salient in recent history, my comment does not discriminate between left and right. Reaching for the "but it's them guys..." is a near guaranteed sign of a person not truly willing to have their own flaws subjected to scrutiny.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
And yet they blocked even talking about the idea of the lab leak for a while.
As far as I understand, that's still a rumour. I just think its plausible.

Governments gonna government. I can say that the CCP is probably one of the worst, but its not like my country didn't try to cover up slaughters our army did in Afghanistan until last year. Your always going to get some lies when talking to politicians.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Why stop at journalists?

I think you missed conspiracy theorists.

Oh, fuck, speaking of disinformation. Charles Murray poked his head out again to be 'woke' I suppose

Got a commentary one because.. I don't want to watch him again just to make sure I go the right argument. Most of the arguments that are around today for vitriol spewers like Tucker come from his 'research'.

And then he goes on about how he's being silenced and how bad identity politics is. Just waiting on Sam Harris to tell us that he's misunderstood.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
As far as I understand, that's still a rumour. I just think its plausible.

Governments gonna government. I can say that the CCP is probably one of the worst, but its not like my country didn't try to cover up slaughters our army did in Afghanistan until last year. Your always going to get some lies when talking to politicians.
Yes but so is the Market theory.
There shouldn't be clear cut "This is right this is wrong" lines being drawn when there isn't clear conclusive evidence.
Twitter very much hasn't held everyone to the same standards at all.