Nightingale

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Anyone else watch this movie? I just watched it on Hulu over the weekend and it's one of the darkest and most uncomfortable movies I've ever watched, but damn good. From the same director that made The Babadook.

Darren just wrote up an In the Frame on it, worth a read if you've seen the movie.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Haven't seen it, but there was a bit of fuss here when it was released. I think people walked out on it because they couldn't take the rape scene(s) or somesuch.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Have been wanting to see this, only from coming across this review recently;

Sounds like they wanted to make sure there's no romanticism and sugar-coating for a pretty horrid part of western history, putting things in clearer light. I do not doubt any of that would be difficult to watch for most, but that is kind of the point. People often prefer their comfort in vast ignorance, but victims never get that choice, and those sorts of media put you in places closer to the victims in hopes that it'll inspire greater empathy and understanding. It's not easy, it's not supposed to be, but it can be important when seeking perspective.