Nightmare Warning: Monstrous Spider Creeps up on Scientist

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Nightmare Warning: Monstrous Spider Creeps up on Scientist

Scientist runs into elusive Goliath birdeater spider in rainforest of Guyana.

"When I turned on the light, I couldn't quite understand what I was seeing," said entomologist Piotr Naskrecki. When he heard the rustling of dry leaves during a nighttime rainforest trek in Guyana, he expected it to be a small animal running by. Once he turned on his flashlight, what he saw would have terrified most people - and in fact, even the entomologist was seized by a moment of fear.

Two-inch fangs. Eight legs up to one foot in length. A body the size of "a large fist," Naskrecki told Guinness World Records [http://www.livescience.com/48340-goliath-birdeater-surprises-scientist.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Livesciencecom+(LiveScience.com+Science+Headline+Feed)].

Naskrecki's initial fear response quickly turned to ecstasy at finding the "almost mythical" creature. "I've been working in the tropics in South America for many, many years, and in the last 10 to 15 years, I only ran across the spider three times," he said.

The spider's two-inch fangs carry a venomous bite, but one that isn't deadly to humans. Still, they would hurt, "like driving a nail through your hand," Naskrecki said. The creature has another defense mechanism, which is similar to Mace in its effects: by running its hind legs against its abdomen, the spider sends out a cloud of hairs with microscopic barbs on them. When these hairs get in the eyes or other mucous membranes, they are "extremely painful and itchy," and can stay there for days, said Naskrecki.

Still, the spider doesn't pose a threat to humans. "A chicken can probably do more damage," Naskrecki said. It doesn't even hunt birds, despite its name, though it is capable of killing small animals. "They will essentially attack anything that they encounter," the entomologist said.

[gallery=3389]

Oh, and let me preempt your comments on this piece:

NOPE.

Do not want.

Kill it with fire.

How did I do?

Source: Piotr Naskrecki [http://thesmallermajority.com/2014/10/08/the-sound-of-little-hooves-in-the-night/]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
It's ok, I live next door to a guy named David.

It's amazing that something that big can sneak up on people, maybe a future Bond villain could have one as a pet.

Also.
Nope.
No.
Non.
NEIN!
HeT!
Yok!
Bu!

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
I was going to say "banana for scale, please". However, that would likely freak me out. Let's just pretend it's not the size of a watermelon...

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Well, considering that a bite of these
would hurt, like driving a nail through your hand
And that they have these built in
cloud of hairs with microscopic barbs on them. When these hairs get in the eyes or other mucous membranes, they are extremely painful and itchy
it's really comforting to know that
it doesn't pose a threat to humans
especially as
They will essentially attack anything that they encounter

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Wow that's awesome. I've read about these but seeing it in comparison to the hand really puts it into perspective. Hope I can see one in person one day

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Amazing spider, I think people really let themselves get carried away too much with spider fear, most will not attack unless provoked and even then its in their best interest not to since replacing the venom can be physically taxing. I have owned tarantulas of all kinds for about the last 20 years and have only been bit once because I was being far too rough when handling but even then I think people would them truly fascinating if they would just give them a chance and not immediately jump for the nearest flamethrower.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
What a beautiful creature. There is something so efficient about spiders...

I love the idea of a human-sized spider that specializes in hunting apes and humans- she'd be like a giant crab-spider that has amazing camouflage, cable-like muscles, a furnace-like metabolism, unearthly patience and unmatched reflexes... and maybe even a brilliant, inhuman intellect.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
ad-libbing from a fanfiction I like:

"Looks at spider

Sees a pair of long floating two dimensional rectangles floating over its head

Oh God! Run! That one has a MANA bar!"

OT: Congratulations to the guy on having it find him and not crapping himself, but if I was there you'd just see dust in the wind and hear a shrill piercing scream a couple of octaves higher than usual.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
If I woke up and saw that thing anywhere near me, I would have screamed. I would have screamed and jumped twenty feet away in half a second. Just spotting a normal-sized spider can make me just if it's close enough and I don't notice it right away. That thing would give me nightmares.