Nightmare Warning: Monstrous Spider Creeps up on Scientist

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
the December King said:
What a beautiful creature. There is something so efficient about spiders...

I love the idea of a human-sized spider that specializes in hunting apes and humans- she'd be like a giant crab-spider that has amazing camouflage, cable-like muscles, a furnace-like metabolism, unearthly patience and unmatched reflexes... and maybe even a brilliant, inhuman intellect.
For the sake of humanity, never become a mad scientist.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
thehorror2 said:
the December King said:
What a beautiful creature. There is something so efficient about spiders...

I love the idea of a human-sized spider that specializes in hunting apes and humans- she'd be like a giant crab-spider that has amazing camouflage, cable-like muscles, a furnace-like metabolism, unearthly patience and unmatched reflexes... and maybe even a brilliant, inhuman intellect.
For the sake of humanity, never become a mad scientist.
With my knowledge of sciency-things, I couldn't even manage garden-variety Scientist.

Or Scientist's Assistant.

Or Scientist's Friend.

Or Scientist's Pool Boy.

I just make creatures in Spore alot, sigh at the disappointing game-play, and dream...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
An this is why there is no rainforest - have to keep burning it to get rid of the spiders. So you eco people out there, blame the Spiders for the shrinking rainforests. :)

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I'm getting terrifying Fallout 3 flashbacks. I hated seeing the giant ants there, and I hate seeing this giant spider here. It's times like this that I'm sad to realize I will never be able to interact with aliens, I just can't handle anything that isn't a slow-moving mammal.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Therumancer said:
Actually, it's believed by some that spiders are psychic and can project a degree of fear and use it to paralyze their prey. This is allegedly why most people have an innate fear/revulsion reaction to them, and in many cases will even seize up for a second even if the spider is tiny. Allegedly this happens to the prey of a lot of spiders as well, who for whatever reason don't react quite as "rationally" as they would for their species when confronted. I'm not saying this has been proven or anything, it's just something I've read before, and it's also probably why so much fantasy tends to give spiders mind-effecting powers or psionics and stuff as well as generally tying them to mysticism.
So what you're saying is that Spiders are the closest thing to Eldritch Abominations we have? ... Huh,,,

Still, I don't fear spiders, and it's nice knowing that this thing is pretty much harmless (Except for the sharpness of it's fangs and fur), but I wouldn't want a Spider that grows to the size of a Puppy (Yes, that's what I've read) in my house. In most cases I would just take a spider out of the house, but something that size? I think I'd need animal control...

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Why the fuck did I click on this? That's terrifying... although I have to admit, it's also pretty impressive. My sister said Japan's country side is also home to some pretty big spiders. And I thought woodlouse spiders were scary... (they still are!)

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
When you said that they are rare, did they mean that it's an endangered species of sorts? (pretty sure some culture somewhere sees this and thinks it makes a good meal.) or are they really just that elusive?

In general my fear of spiders come more from the fact that I don't know if they are deadly poisonous or not. In this case I would be more afraid of the hairs than the bite. ugh.

On the slightly bright side, they sport a funny bald spot after using that defense.

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
This thing is really cool to look at in still images, but I doubt I'd be able to bear seeing it in motion. All those massive, skittering legs...