Nine out of 10 will not finish the game they are playing

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
Blue Hero said:
Why is it nine out of 10 and not nine out of ten or 9 out of 10? I don't like this.
Because the Laws of the Written Word dictate that numbers below 10 (or, as some liars claim, 100) must be written out.

OT: I pretty much finish every game I get, because I don't get many games. Except for that Minecraft...

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
I finish most of my games (storywise and in RPG's also most or all side quests), there are a few exceptions if the game was really horrendous and not worth completing.
But if you count in all these damn achievements you have to get nowadays then I don't finish a lot of games.
It is just a chore to extend games, the requirements for some achievements are often ridiculous and if I would do them I know I would hate the game afterwards, so I just don't do them and I can play it again if I want to.

edit:
kman123 said:
I either don't finish games due to extreme boredom (Dragon Age), a lack of interest in plot (Dragon Age) or because of unnecessarily bullshit gameplay (Drag- ok, Nier.)
Hey, don't hate on Nier :D
If you got past the first hours and completed the endings the story is really nice, the only thing I hated was the fishing as I never got the fishs I needed.

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
Well, at the moment im playing Team Fortress 2 only, due to various reasons. I'm not entirely sure how exactly one finishes a game like that...

Chrishu

Jul 2, 2008
busters said:
I haven't finished a lot of my games recently, and that's mostly because I have waaaay to many games to play. All of my console games I've finished, but all of the Steam games I've gathered up... hah.
Its a lot harder to finish a game once you've build up a huge library of unplayed games. I just think "Why should I dedicate my next 10+ hours to this game when I could play something else?"
This, so this. My unfinished ps2 library is something in the neighborhood of 25+, and I have several unfinished ps3 games to boot. It's like the task of finishing everything is so massive that I can't handle it anymore.

Don't get me started on things like psp or ds games, either.

Mar 9, 2010
teebeeohh said:
i did not expect the game to surprise me in the story department.
I think that's the entire point of a surprise; you don't expect it.

OT: I've finished almost every game I've played. The only games I haven't finished so far are Halo 3, Dead Rising 2 and Saints Row 2. The first I've almost finished and will go back to, Dead Rising was just a drag to play and Saints Row 2 is just the worst game I have ever played, I deleted it from my games history because I was so ashamed to have played it.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I have never really not finished a game unless I really hated it. Doesn't hurt that most games can be beaten within a day except the sandbox ones.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I usually finish games I own (rental are a different matter tho but I don?t rent games anymore so I suppose that point is moot anyway) even if I'm not enjoying them. It might take me a while and I might play something else for a break but I finished them eventually. I don't know where they are getting these stats from because I highly doubt 9 out of 10 people don't finish most games unless it?s a really long game or "finishing" requires getting all achievements.

Jun 11, 2008
The only game I have ever owned and would not finish was Kingdom Under Fire Circle of Doom or something like that. I will not finish that game because it is utter shit.

THEMILKMAN

Jun 16, 2009
I just finished Rule of Rose after owning it for 4 years. The gameplay is just truly horrendous, I restarted it 3 times before beating it. However, the fantastic story really is worth braving the atrocious gameplay.

The only other unfinished game that comes to mind is Max Payne. I rented it years ago when I was fairly young. I was really disturbed in the beginning when you walk into the baby's room and the mobile is playing the lullaby and the baby's crying in the background with the blood smeared all over everything. Maybe it's because I was little but I found this to be the most disturbing thing I'd seen at the time. I'd give it another try now that I'm older but I really don't care what happens in Max Payne anymore.

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
I only finish the games I like a lot.
yeah I'd say I only finished about 10% of the game I've played.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
There are a couple of games I have that I haven't finished, and that's because they were shit and I wouldn't have gotten enough money to justify selling it. Maybe if developers weren't lazy and gave me some FPSs' with characters instead of a silent character with a gun, I'd be slightly more interested in finishing the game and not going "Well...fuck this game. I'm going to play something more interesting instead." an hour into Half-Life 2.

docSpitfire

Jun 13, 2011
am I the only one a bit dubious about these statistics?
How did they obtain their sample?
-Do people who played it at a friend's house count?
-How do they know people won't pick it up and finish it down the road?
-How do they know the people have owned it long enough to beat it? i.e. if someone bought it yesterday and they're asked "have you beaten it yet?" they'll probably say no.
-Did they take trophy/achievement data? because I REALLY doubt that's an accurate portrayal.
-Do rentals count?
-etc.

90% just seems a bit high, with the emphasis on multiplayer these days though, I'm not surprised that less people are beating games... (most of the people I know who own MW for example haven't even played the campaign)

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I try to finish every game I play.

Obviously one comes along every so often that is so mind numbingly bad I can't face playing it nevermind finishing it.

(D&D Daggerdale and Duke Nukem Forever .... i'm looking at you).

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I finish most of my games. Still, I have a backlog of 36 unfinished games waiting for me. I like to keep a record of them and order them for priority.

Some games I just don't understand why I quit them. Games like Okami and Ico. I loved them, but just haven't finished them