Ninja Gaiden Master Collection (PC, PS5 &4, SERIES X & ONE, and Switch)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So it's not just exclusive to the Switch, From what I've been reading, the Sigma version being ported is the Vita version and not the PS3 version, because they lost the source code. The same applies to Vanilla!NG2 and Ninja Gaiden Black. I have my copy of both of those versions of games, so I have something to fall back on in case things with this remaster. I might pick this up for a reason to get Razor's Edge since it, all of the other games, have all of their respective DLCs.

Famitsu Translated NG Master Collection Interview.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Its funny. I know a lot of people are borderline annoyed by all these remaster, but I'm kinda there rare demographic. I've never actually played Ninja Gaiden or Mass Effect. This is just great news in my eyes.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Its funny. I know a lot of people are borderline annoyed by all these remaster, but I'm kinda there rare demographic. I've never actually played Ninja Gaiden or Mass Effect. This is just great news in my eyes.
That is the flip side of the remake/remaster debate always. There are many people who miss any number of games the first time around that could have a second chance to play them with enhancements usually.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That is the flip side of the remake/remaster debate always. There are many people who miss any number of games the first time around that could have a second chance to play them with enhancements usually.
I usually don't mind remasters, if it's hard to get the original game(s) nowadays. Or, they didn't bother a backwards compatibility. I already knew a remaster of the Ninja Gaiden games was going to happen at some point. What doesn't help is that, like I said before, for at least two of their games, they lost the original source code. How is beyond me. Which is funny because you can play Ninja Gaiden II from the 360 version, on Xbox One or Series X with enhanced features that fixes most of the frame rate issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I usually don't mind remasters, if it's hard to get the original game nowadays. Or, they didn't bother a backwards compatibility. I already knew a remaster of the Ninja Gaiden games was going to happen at some point. What doesn't help is that, like I said before, for at least two of their games, they lost the original source code. How is beyond me. Which is funny because you can play Ninja Gaiden II from the 360 version, on Xbox One or Series X with enhanced features that fixes most of the frame rate issues.
Really makes you applaud all the internet archive pirates who are building up databases of all the digital games so we will always have them even if we have to use modded consoles or emulators. No matter how they spin it, the pirates always end up being the good guys in the end.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@BrawlMan but what do you think of the game?
I did not buy it. I'm a bit busy with other games right now. I already have Black and Vanilla II, so...yeah. I like Black, but I'm not a hardcore fan, and personally, I disliked Vanilla II. When I do get the collection, I'm mainly getting it for the first Sigma game. So I'll wait for a price drop when it gets there.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So it seems the pc port is about as barebones as they come. For example, Ninja Gaiden apparently only supports 720p, 1080p and 4k resolution, and you can't actually change it ingame. You have to manually add it to the game's launch properties in Steam. Also, those are the only graphics options.

Team Ninja didn't just remaster a 2004 game, they remastered the quality of early 00s Japanese pc ports too! Gotta admire the dedication to authenticity!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So it seems the pc port is about as barebones as they come. For example, Ninja Gaiden apparently only supports 720p, 1080p and 4k resolution, and you can't actually change it ingame. You have to manually add it to the game's launch properties in Steam. Also, those are the only graphics options.

Team Ninja didn't just remaster a 2004 game, they remastered the quality of early 00s Japanese pc ports too! Gotta admire the dedication to authenticity!

Game is on sale for $29.99 right now. I might get it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So I decided to buckle down, and grab the collection on sale, earlier during the weekend. The sales ends on Thursday at about 2AM this week. So those wanting the collection should do so immeadetly. The sale is still at $29.99; $10 per game. The sale I am referring to is on PSN. I don't know about eShop, Steam, or XB Live, but feel free to check

I started with NGΣ2 to see how different this originally PS3 port was different from the 360 counterpart. I do know the game while challenging, is much easier than and fair compared to NGII. They don't load the game with so many enemies, that each encounter turns in to an unfair LDK mode with obnoxious enemies up the wazoo. Σ2 dials it back to NG's fight up to 5-7 enemies and smaller encounters. It does make the levels feel barren at times, but I don't see it as that bad of a trade off. The upgrade system has been changed at designated points of the shop, instead allowing you to buy upgrades in the original version. I get why, but players should still be given the option to use their essence points however they want. Now essence are used to stock up on healing items, and they can make boss fights way less difficult, if not going for a self-imposed challenge. I've only completed the first chapter so far though.

I actually prefer Σ2 over II (controversial, I know and do not care), because it's more polished and less bullshit in difficulty. There are stuff I miss from the original such as the gore, but you get used to the censorship. It's weird, because the Vita port allowed the player to turn the gore back on. Why couldn't Team Ninja just do that again? It shows the port was rushed in this regard, The combat works and I am already getting used to it again. I just have to remember not to play the game like DMC, and more like Ninja Gaiden. It's so satisfying doing the Izuna Drop on mofos! The modern ports of Σ2 actually have the tag team missions unlocked from the start. So you could get some practice in on techniques. They took out the online co-op, so you will have to deal with an AI. The AI is competent and knows how to take care of itself.

After I get through most of the game, I am going to jump straight in to Razor's Edge. The Sigma games you have to think of as remixed versions of past iterations. Made to make the game simplified or streamlined for the better in most cases. There will be some changes you may disagree with, if you're familiar or remember the original versions.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@CriticalGaming, I finally started playing the original Ninja Gaiden Σ. I got past the first two stages last night and I did a couple of the Ninja Trials. A fun game so far, and I can see its DMC1 influence. I am already starting to see why the first game is considered the best, no matter which version of it you play. Though a lot of the heavier puzzles and platforming elements were removed in this version to make it more action-combat focused. I have little issues with with that decision.

Reactions: CriticalGaming