Ninja Theory Defends Dante Redesign [UPDATED]

Karousawai

Nov 17, 2009
'Young offenders rehabilitation program'...

Dante? Young offender? As if the hero of the last four DMC games would be caught by the police. I think the police would have the fact that this man is a super human death machine thats nigh on invulnerable to get through first. How'd they catch him, a big electric net? In DMC 1 he gets impaled by a demon sword and just stands up, pulling himself through the blade. The police in this city must be some level of badasses to catch him.

Ohw8, its a little emo boy dressed sort of like Dante. Nvm.

Jul 22, 2009
blakfayt said:
well, he is assumed to be immortal, so if I lived forever I'd probably be stuck with a continual midlife crisis, and what many fans fail to realize was that DMC2 was him getting out of the midlife crisis and growing up, which they hated too. Honestly alot of DMC fans are impossible to please. Stagnation breeds nothing but death. (and bugs, but bugs are still eww)
Yeah but they seriously screwed up DMC2 Dantes character...

Quiet? Makes decisions by flipping a 2 headed coin? Acts genuinely emo?

No thank you...

And what was with his cape then... made him look like a villain from the 70s.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
I don't think they got the memo that emo stopped being cool around 5 years ago (see Warrior Within on how emo was used so well). Whatever, if the gameplay is fun and the story is cool then I don't care much about artistic redesign

warmonkey

Dec 2, 2009
Wait.

Wait wait wait wait wait.

Are they implying that at one point in time, the original Dante could have walked into a bar and not been laughed at? What kind of bars do these people frequent?

This redesign is no more or less ridiculous than the original Dante design.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I want them to stick with the designs so it really ticks off the fans.

After all, I like the game, I play it alot. I don't care, he looks acceptable. Well done for taking a chance ninja theory. Its fans like these that stop developers from trying new things.

Dance Commander

Sep 10, 2010
the guy Dante is modeled after has the exact same hair cut and everything, enjoy playing Twilight May Cry while listening to hipster music, Wont be suprised if the game is built from the ground up on Mac and ported to iPhone

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
They sure did get inspired by what's hip today: Twilight, My Chemical Romance, 30 Seconds To Mars, Tokyo Hotel.

Maybe this is their attempt to make an action game aimed at girls.

Jul 22, 2009
CTU_Loscombe said:
DMC fans piss me off something rotten
So what if the character design has changed? It doesnt mean its not a DMC game does it?!
This whole argument is the "Windwaker Effect"...Windwaker was the BEST LoZ game AND had a whole new design for EVERYTHING. Not just a single character

I suggest that if you are a DMC fan, you buy the game and judge it upon its GAMEPLAY and stop being so fucking superficial
You may have heard the phrase "You cant judge a book by its cover"...When I first read War Of The Worlds it had a plain orange cover with the title written in Times New Roman...As bland a cover as you can get...It is the greatest work of literature in existence.

So for all you whiners may know, the new DMC may be the best DMC ever
Dont judge the fucking game on its looks and judge it by how well it plays

/rant
I was going to go on about personal opinion and how developers need peoples opinions so they can better their game.

But instead I'll revisit some DMC history.

You say Windwaker was the best, which is opinion as I have a few hardcore LoZ fans that would disagree with you on that one.

And Windwaker changed up the style and everything. So change is good right?

Well DMC already tried this... that one game that Capcom tries to sweep under the rug but drags itself up every now and then to remind everyone how badly Dante ended up when they tried to change his style for DMC2.

The gameplay was fine. But Capcom have never gone back there... why?

Cause people frickin hated that Dante. So as important gameplay is, obviously visuals play a part, as much as we'd like to say they don't. Truly they do somewhere in there.

And it doesn't help that when they revisited the original Dante style for the second time they made the best DMC game of the series. (3, if you were unsure).

Your argument is still a valid one, however it's a failed formula with DMC games.

dogstile said:

After all, I like the game, I play it alot. I don't care, he looks acceptable. Well done for taking a chance ninja theory. Its fans like these that stop developers from trying new things.
I think this applies to you slightly. Though I get what you're saying about needing to change up the formula.

However DMC has only had 4 games. 1 of which Capcom refuses to acknowledge exists, and one you spent half the game as a different character.

If DMC is already stagnating to you them you must froth at the mouth over Halo/Call of Duty/Final Fantasy/Medal of Honor/many many more.

Jul 22, 2009
blakfayt said:
Twilight doesn't belong in that line up, MCR talks about killing people multiple times and that is far from emo, and well, some of 30 seconds to mars's shit is alright (better than the latest generic rap song from black rapper #45) Twilight is just, just, ugh. (Muse, muse is emo music now, in fact some people have told me that one of their songs was featured on one of the films soundtracks)
MCRs slow songs could be counted as emo... I just don't listen to them. House of Wolves yeah!

What does everyone hate about 30 seconds?

I've only listened to Beautiful Lie album but I didn't think they were completely horrible...

And Muse is fairly awesome.

Baeken

Aug 2, 2010
I really am not seeing the whole twilight thing. I think most people are just grabbing at straws. Dante's new design is badass, if a bit retro in ways (smoking has gone from cool and rebellious to pretty much demonized. Are they trying to bring it back?). Does it make a lick of sense? Not really, we're gonna need some serious context for this.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
GamesB2 said:
dogstile said:

I think this applies to you slightly. Though I get what you're saying about needing to change up the formula.

However DMC has only had 4 games. 1 of which Capcom refuses to acknowledge exists, and one you spent half the game as a different character.

If DMC is already stagnating to you them you must froth at the mouth over Halo/Call of Duty/Final Fantasy/Medal of Honor/many many more.
Oh it applies to me slightly. Its just I like change. Change keeps things interesting and as much as I liked old Dante, it looks like I won't be able to guess every second line this time. Unless he does go emo tard in which case I will be able to.

And while I don't froth at the mouth at halo, I certainly do enjoy it. Problem?

Jul 22, 2009
dogstile said:
Oh it applies to me slightly. Its just I like change. Change keeps things interesting and as much as I liked old Dante, it looks like I won't be able to guess every second line this time. Unless he does go emo tard in which case I will be able to.

Not at all. I love Halo and I'm playing Reach right now.

I just want another DMC game set just after DMC3 ):<

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
GamesB2 said:
dogstile said:

Not at all. I love Halo and I'm playing Reach right now.

I just want another DMC game set just after DMC3 ):<
That I can understand.

Anyway, i'm off to play reach myself. Cheerio good sir.

Jul 22, 2009
blakfayt said:
What sane person doesn't? You just named 4 games by name that have done nothing interesting or innovative since they were first produced, any person with half a brain in their head goes "God damn it! ANOTHER generic FPS clone!" Seriously, DMC needs to do something more than just muddy the time line and make new baddies.
I forgive Halo for having the online nailed perfectly.

You can get into a standard balanced match with only base weapons.

Or you dive headlong into big team slayer and truly experience the insanity of Halos online.

Also yeah MoH and CoD need to change things seriously...

And I enjoy FF games just for a linear story, it's for my lazy days when I'm essentially playing an interactive film.