Ninja Theory: Devil May Cry Skeptics "Secretly Want to Like It"

DAPLR

Nov 11, 2010
I hate fans of everything -_-

All they do is complain, like I'm doing right now. Ninja Theory's inbox was probably flooded by hate mail, so they need to say something if to only justify what they're doing. They are people too. If you think, 'thats true', but have said this game looks shit AT ANY TIME...then hypocrisy has snuggled up to you in a nice queen-size bed to eat you out.
And if you're the type of person who likes pop trends of hate like, Justin Bieber for example, then you are the worst kind of person,....
Seriously...fuck the fans.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Personally Im ok with Dante's look. For one its a reboot(which the series sorely needs) so copying the exact same design wouldnt make sense. On top of that its a prequel, so a younger Dante fits.

After the gameplay trailer I saw it looks alot more fun than DMC4, which was only good when you got to play as Dante (F-! Nero) but was linear as hell.

If thats not enough one trailer showed Dante's hair turning white, which was I believe indicated to be when Dante goes into his Devil Trigger mode, or whatever their going to call it for the new game.

Overall im pretty excited about the new DMC game, cant wait for more info.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Jumplion said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Because every word this guy has uttered so far in videos has been pure liquid angst from the sweaty brow of the lead singer of Dashboard Confessional.
"My", "Name", "Is", "Dante". And maybe a few "Yargh!" grunts. Yeah, you can totally assume his complete character based on the plethora of dialogue he gives out.
Okay, I'll fully admit I'm a lot more pissed about Dante and the lead developer being the same person for this game. He pulled in a Tim Buckley on DMC fans... that's just wrong.
Look, it's okay to be a little worried about the game's direction. It's healthy to be skeptical over the game's success at redesigning Dante and the game or whatever. But

I will give Ninja Theory and Capcom the benefit of the doubt and assume that they really did take the character redesign seriously. The fact that the director looks similar to Dante, I would posit, is an unfortunate coincidence (and as ColdStorage points out, they don't look all that similar except for the hair). But even if they were alike, so what? When I initially looked at the new Dante, I saw more of a dirty, punk-ass kid who fights dirty. I didn't see this "Twitard angsty emo" kid that everyone seems to be claiming.

EDIT: Infact, one could make the argument that Tameem looks more like the original Dante. Just look;

They have very similar facial structures, a more roundish head, all that stuff.

Gazisultima

May 25, 2009
An interesting THEORY they have there! *trollface*
As usual, fans respond negatively to every tiny change like it's the end of the world. I'm a devout Devil May Cry fan myself, but the key difference is that I'll give any game they put out a chance. Instead of bitching, how about you all actually give something a fair chance before blasting it with your strongest flames?

roguetrooper96

Feb 26, 2010
I google imaged Tameems face and it's the kind of face that I want to hit with a shovel.

OT: I will boycott this game, the thought of giving money to that smug bastard ensures it. I truly hope these guys get no profit. It's incredibly hard to piss me off (Hell I didn't even shout at the shitty AI in resident evil 5's single player mode, I just turned the game off and said it wasn't for me.)

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Dante always kind of looked like a transsexual to me and since, as far as I know, being a cross dresser was never part of his character history, I can't really see where the problem is with this new interpretation of the character. It's a reboot right? Doesn't that imply changes to certain themes and tones? It's not like they're changing the character mid-series. The original Dante's story was finished. This is a completely new story.

But then again I've never really been interested in the Devil May Cry series to begin with so maybe that's why I'm not really up in arms about it. I suppose if Valve made Gordan Freeman look like Stevie Nicks I'd probably be a little upset too.
Ummm... What? Dante never looked like a transsexual, he's quite clearly a dude. I mean he might be a little camp now and then, but that doesn't suddenly make him a crossdresser (or a transsexual, there is a difference). You do realise there is a middle group between bear fighting muscle bound block head and campy the gay pirate of queersville?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
FrostyChick said:
Ummm... What? Dante never looked like a transsexual, he's quite clearly a dude. I mean he might be a little camp now and then, but that doesn't suddenly make him a crossdresser (or a transsexual, there is a difference). You do realise there is a middle group between bear fighting muscle bound block head and campy the gay pirate of queersville?
He was almost verbatim modeled after Cobra from the manga/anime series Space Adventure Cobra. Cobra was, of course, the typical manly man with a bit of a goofball streak who loved women, good food, cigars (though Dante hates smoking, and liquor. Hell, Cobra voice actor (who sadly passed away some time ago) even voiced a character in the DMC anime. Dante is the typical Japanese definition of a manly foreigner, the kind that is cocky, fun, and strong but also a bit of a goofball as well as having heart of gold. And despite all the goofiness he's still AWESOME. He's the John McClane of gaming

Gazisultima

May 25, 2009
An interesting THEORY they have there! *trollface*
As usual, fans respond negatively to every tiny change like it's the end of the world. I'm a devout Devil May Cry fan myself, but the key difference is that I'll give any game they put out a chance. Instead of bitching, how about you all actually give something a fair chance before blasting it with your strongest flames?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
roguetrooper96 said:
I google imaged Tameems face and it's the kind of face that I want to hit with a shovel.

OT: I will boycott this game, the thought of giving money to that smug bastard ensures it. I truly hope these guys get no profit. It's incredibly hard to piss me off (Hell I didn't even shout at the shitty AI in resident evil 5's single player mode, I just turned the game off and said it wasn't for me.)
ColdStorage above made a good argument as to how they don't really look that similar except for the hair.

It could easily be argued that he looks more like the original Dante.

They have very similar facial structures, a more roundish head, all that stuff.

Really, I don't blame him for getting a bit defensive/smug when the fans are being incessant banshees.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Jumplion said:
To me there's a difference between a "change" and a complete bastardization, they have changed almost everything I know of that is Dante. Everything canonically about Dante has pretty much been changed as far as I can tell. Sure they haven't shown anything about him really but guess what if it looks like a duck, then it usually ends up being a duck.

Also regardless of the fans "acting childish" or being "immature" doesn't mean that NT have to act in the exact same manner, they could very well take the high road but they choose not to by doing shit like this. They are on their high horse and show no signs of coming off of it, because they obviously know what DMC is all about more so than anyone else apparently.

I'm not worried about the game at all, i'm worried about the series that I know is Devil May Cry will end up going the way everyone says that the Star Wars prequels did.

I do apologize if i'm coming off as a complete jackass, like I believe I am. I had the same reaction with Beth and Fallout 3 (which is an alright game, but I really don't see it as an actual Fallout game, more like Elder Scrolls, with guns. But that's just me)

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Truthfully, I want the game to be good.

heck, every gamer wants games to be good.

though, seeing the bad choices Capcom has made recently (OHGODMEGAMANLEGENDS3ISCANCELEDOHGODWHY?!?!?!), I'm not surprised if they fuck this up as well.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Duh people want to like it, it's fucking DMC but when you try to change a character when there's already been 4 games it kind of isn't going to work. All they had to do was just change the guys name or something where it's not Dante and people would have been interested.
Oh yeah and remodel his face so he doesn't fucking look like the moron Ninja theory creator.

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
Look, I want to like this game. I want it to be freaking awesome! But every fiber of my body is dreading that it will suck demon balls. And that asshole Tameem isn't really helping me either.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
I love that defense, I am going to use it more often: "Anyone who says they hate me secretly loves me!"

I don't care either way about this series, a developer flatout dismissing people's complaints like that seems like a right twat.

Draken Steel

May 15, 2009
Not a massive dmc fan, though I really liked what I played in the series. A huge part of what made me like it was Dante himself. I do not like the new character design. I could probably get over it... but this response made it a whole lot worse, pretty much just said fck u u dont know what you like, we tell you what you like.

I admit, its unlikely that I would get it anyway, but after reading that I definitely will not get it.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
NT, I'm willing to give you guys the benefit of the doubt because I was impressed by the recent trailer, But please cut the crap already. maintaining the "60 FPS feel" is pure bullshit. You can't, because you're running on a 30 FPS engine for a game that requires smooth and lightning speed reactions. This is the only thing I'm worried about in this game, the combat.

Do whatever the hell you guys want with the story, designs...etc You want to slap your CEO's face into the main character, be my guest. Just don't screw up the combat.