Ninja Theory: Devil May Cry Skeptics "Secretly Want to Like It"

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Ninja Theory: Devil May Cry Skeptics "Secretly Want to Like It"

Ninja Theory co-founder, Tameem Antoniades reckons that fans doubting the upcoming Devil May Cry prequel are not being entirely honest with themselves.

Earlier in the year Devil May Cry Fans were unpleasantly surprised [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104584-Devil-May-Cry-Reboot-Designed-to-Provoke-Fans] by Ninja Theory's upcoming take on the series. The most prominent complaint, or at least the only one that could be heard over the angry hooting and calls for immediate bloody revolution, was about Dante's new character design. Fans, it seems, were not pleased with Ninja Theory's decision to replace their beloved platinum-haired studmuffin with a guy who wouldn't look out of place on the cover of Trainspotting. [http://cf1.imgobject.com/backdrops/8cf/4bc90a46017a3c57fe0038cf/trainspotting-original.jpg] Ninja Theory's response, in essence, is a raised hand, palm forwards, and instructions to voice your concerns to it, because the face certainly ain't listening.

"We've got our plan and we're not changing it," Tameem Antoniades said at a presentation at Gamescom 2011. Talking about character designs, producer Alex Jones claimed that Capcom Japan is just as responsible for Dante's controversial new look as Ninja Theory. Character design is what Capcom Japan is deeply, deeply involved with," said Jones. "[Ninja Theory and Capcom have had] dozens of meetings over character design," he added.

Antoniades claimed that the game "will feel like a proper Devil May Cry game when you have a controller in your hand" and that, "The people who are skeptical secretly want to like it. And our job is to prove it's Devil May Cry in essence."

Judging by its past efforts -Enslaved and Heavenly Sword- Ninja Theory is spilling over with writing talent, something previous Devil May Cry developers Capcom sorely lack [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8qG4AlK1qk], but there's some question as to whether Devil May Cry's gameplay will match the quality of its Capcom-made predecessors. Previous Devil May Cry games all ran at a solid 60 frames per second, while the upcoming prequel runs at half that. It's not uncommon for console titles to be locked to 30FPS these days, but it's a first for the Devil May Cry series. 60FPS games are noticeably smoother than their 30FPS counterparts, an important feature in a game which relies on strict timing and quick reactions. Antoniades defended the decision, claiming that the lower frame rate allows more interesting game mechanics, such as the way levels can change drastically in real time. He also claimed that the "feel of 60FPS" would be maintained.

Devil May Cry will be released for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. No word on a release date yet.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-17-dmc-sceptics-secretly-want-to-like-it]

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
I accept your challenge Tameem.... I very much enjoyed the first DMC and DMC3 (There's no such thing as DMC2).

I have yet to ever play DMC4. For some reason, I just lost the interest... so I likely won't bother touching this until I feel like playing DMC4.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
No I play one before and though it was rubbish. The one with Nero they just never intrested me. Then again I talk by not buying them. IF people would learn talk is cheap. When they see sell are bad they hear you. Look at DA2 they didn't like what they heard but they heard you none the less.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
"We've got our plan and we're not changing it,"
Well of course you're not going to change it, you essentially said "Fuck You" to the majority of anyone who liked DMC to begin with. I have reserved hate for this game and everyone involved in its making.

Edit: I would also like to hit you with a shovel Tameem, why? Because you are a smug little bastard, which oddly enough makes me smirk because I then begin to think of how Dante should actually be. Instead of what you made him out to be

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
HAHAHAHAHA

No. Tameem, you really maintained that 60 FPS in that last trailer, huh? And now canon is being destroyed so that Dante's mom is now an angel.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
'Ninja Theory's response, in essence, is a raised hand, palm forwards, and instructions to voice your concerns to it, because the face certainly ain't listening.'

What the hell, that was actually funny. Somebody who's not Yahtzee and is involved in the games industry said something funny.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I can't speak for the other skeptics, but I make no secret of my desire to like the way this game is shaping up. Unfortunately, wanting to like something doesn't make me able to look past its flaws.

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
A Note to Ninja Theory:

Cut the crap, stop being ignorant and yes, of course we want the game to be good but it looks like the Devil May Cry series was just flushed down the toilet not just in terms of character design, but gameplay as well.

Also, bad writing made the Devil May Cry games hilarious, taking it away would have made them SUCK.... not saying Ninja Teory has good writers anyway...

But they aren't listening, I think we can all agree that they are all just massive pricks.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
What I read there is "we're aware we're doing things a bit wrong, but we feel justified to do so." The traier certainly looked good, but now that they've confirmed that it's going to be less responsive, I know deep down they're not trying.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Dante always kind of looked like a transsexual to me and since, as far as I know, being a cross dresser was never part of his character history, I can't really see where the problem is with this new interpretation of the character. It's a reboot right? Doesn't that imply changes to certain themes and tones? It's not like they're changing the character mid-series. The original Dante's story was finished. This is a completely new story.

But then again I've never really been interested in the Devil May Cry series to begin with so maybe that's why I'm not really up in arms about it. I suppose if Valve made Gordan Freeman look like Stevie Nicks I'd probably be a little upset too.
Actually DMC4 ended with a fuckton of questions about Dante's entire family line more or less.

That's really my biggest gripe, not the re-design. The unanswered questions.

Alufear

May 1, 2009
Of course we WANT to like it, it's Devil May Cry for Christ's sake! We love the series and we love Dante. But that crack-smoking bum AIN'T Dante, and barring some miraculous transformation in the game WILL NEVER BE Dante. And so far from the gameplay videos there's nothing we haven't seen from the series before. Sure the combat looks like DMC, but where's the innovation? What's new? We need details, Ninja Theory, not gameplay vids of combat we've already seen. Plot, bosses, characters, new moves, ANYTHING! If you want to restore our confidence, give us something.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
You know, there are few industries where "The customer is always WRONG" is as obvious as the gaming industry.

I'm rather tired of being told by corporations that what I want or think is incorrect.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Yeah, I'm going to respond to everyone who criticizes me like that from now on. "You secretly agree with me! How could anybody sane contradict me?"