Ninja Turtles: The Next (And No Longer The Worst) Mutation

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Ninja Turtles: The Next (And No Longer The Worst) Mutation

Good news for Michael Bay: The geek-o-sphere finally has a nostalgia reboot it hates more than his Transformers movies!

Read Full Article

Sosa Star

Nov 23, 2009
The next mutation came out in '97? Really? That long ago? I watched that when it came out... I feel really old now. dang it.

Yeah, it wasn't great and the whole "we're not blood relatives" thing was creepy and awkward as hell, but I watched it. If only because I was so used to having SOMETHING Ninja Turtles in my life.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I grew up watching the live-action films and cartoon, so I remember wanting to get into this when it came out, but for whatever reason I couldn't stick with it. I remember being really bummed that Shredder gets his ass kicked permanently in the very first episode - how could they just shelve him like that? - but, despite recalling pretty clearly how stilted and "mystic" Venus came off for some reason I never actually hated her. I don't completely remember if I saw the TMNT + PR crossover (I know it was during the "Rangers in Space" arc) but I know I was really, really happy to find out that was a thing.

Also, other baddies included Asian martial arts vampires, 2 of them played by children dubbed over with demonic voices, and the "Kraven knockoff" is played by 80's voiceover mainstay Scott "Wolverine + Ocean Dub Piccolo" McNeil.

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Hmmm, I liked Venus. There. She wasn't JUST another ninja, had her own thing, got into the fights. She could have been better but I didn't hate her.
She brought in a new and interesting dynamic. BEFORE TMNT capitalized on it Next Mutation followed that "okay we aren't teens anymore so now what" and moving out, in part, of their original dynamic. She was both a possible love interest but more an adoptive teen sister. I also never resent a wet blanket, especially as it meant Leonardo was actually allowed to expand.
Plus I liked the vampire arc where she was challenged in various ways, failed, and but back up. That was more dynamic than I was used to in girl characters who were just added.
However I am not a girl or a serious Turtles fan and I understand any combination of that loathe the idea of her.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Yeah, that whole thing was a mess. I hink what they're were trying to do was make Venus the responsible, mature one...but we already had LEO for that. She was really just an addition that couldn't justify her existence and people having to bend over backwards clearly showed that. She really was a mess, though Laird throwing a gynophobic hissy fit over her was just stupid.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I remember nothing about this show except Venus. No episodes, no lines, no villains...I even forgot that the turtles had their masks redesigned. But I remember Venus because I remember thinking, "Cool. A girl Ninja Turtle." Apparently that wasn't enough to make me really enjoy the show though.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
People don't like the 'Team Mom' now? I thought it was a positive trait, showing a woman in a leadership role and telling the others to be rational.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
There actually was another female character that was going to be Raphael's girlfriend.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present, Mona Lisa.

http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Mona_Lisa

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
RaikuFA said:
There actually was another female character that was going to be Raphael's girlfriend.

Yet another female turtle named after an art object instead of an artist. Yeesh.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Optimystic said:
RaikuFA said:

Yet another female turtle named after an art object instead of an artist. Yeesh.
Yeah but this one only was in 1 episode. Was a physics major and helped Ralph beat the villan of the week. Better than Venus in my eyes.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Burnouts3s3 said:
People don't like the 'Team Mom' now? I thought it was a positive trait, showing a woman in a leadership role and telling the others to be rational.
It really depends on how the rest of the team balances out. If there were a "team dad" who could share the finger-waving/moralising duties with her, then it could be okay, as long as it's only a facet of her personality and not the sum of it.

But if she's the only responsible character in a team of boisterous "aw, I just wanna have fun!" types, then it just makes her look like a buzzkill, which isn't the most endearing trait for a character in what's supposed to be a fun kids show.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
The idea of a female turtle is not a bad idea the main issue is that I feel it generally needs to be done in a fresh continuity with a general overhaul of the franchise. Fitting a new character into an established closed story like TMNT rarely works.

On the other hand it just adds to the turtlecest issues

jamail77

May 21, 2011
inu-kun said:
Interesting article... Until the part that looks for sexism in a show for little kids.
I'll ignore that time that a kid's show directly mentioned sexism (Sorry, about the fanart rather than an image from the show. It's all I could find on short notice):

I'll ignore those times sexism was a topic [http://38.media.tumblr.com/31ec5eedc5e7dc6c56349eb30af1fb91/tumblr_n90zqso3Gc1ruepzno2_250.gif] later [http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/Snake101/Avatar/Aang/Book%20One/Chapter%20Four/s01e04grab14850.jpg] on [http://37.media.tumblr.com/76abf539a6802c37f920465cdc5ff813/tumblr_n90zqso3Gc1ruepzno7_250.gif] as well.

Now, you're welcome to argue that Avatar: The Last Airbender had and still has a following among an older demographic, but it was still classified as a kid's cartoon and put on a network that tries to attract kids. Obviously, this is in the opposite direction of being a sexist show, but it does demonstrate, whether in a positive light or not, sexism does get brought up in kid's shows. When discussing the universe of ATLA the creators have also brought up how sexism has seeped into kid's shows as well. It's not like it doesn't happen.

You can argue whether Bob is grasping at straws with TMNT, but don't try to disregard his argument by acting as if it's not a legitimate thing that happens in kid's shows just because they're for kids, a byproduct of critic over-analysis and nothing more. It does happen. It's kind of insulting to kids honestly to say their entertainment must always be so pandering and so underwhelming it can't even have a semblance of issues of that seriousness or complexity. It's that kind of mindset that leads to so many terrible shows for kids who are craving something more.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
jamail77 said:
inu-kun said:

People seem to forget that kid's shows are still made, produced, and written by adults, it's not like kids with no concept of gender roles or stereotypes make these things, sexist stereotypes and tropes are definitely capable of sneaking into kid's shows. Hell, some stereotypes are even more common than in adult entertainment, boiling a character down into simple stereotypes is a common kid's show trope (even if it is a bit lazy), so negative gender stereotypes can sometimes end up being really blatant in an effort to simplify everything for the viewers, the token girl trope is also common in kid's entertainment, so if you've only got one female character and she's a walking negative stereotype, people are going to criticize it.

Of course, Bob may have been reaching a bit with his critiques, I never saw Next Mutation so I wouldn't know, I always thought Venus appeared in the cartoon somewhere. I never realized she was introduced in a live action show, or that the power rangers crossed over with TMNT, but I guess I missed it because I was a teenager at that point and wasn't watching TMNT or power rangers any more.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I've heard of this version of the Turtles, used as a derision of the franchise, as well as the "Coming Out of Their Shells" Live musical shows.
Kmadden2004 said:
Burnouts3s3 said:
It really depends on how the rest of the team balances out. If there were a "team dad" who could share the finger-waving/moralising duties with her, then it could be okay, as long as it's only a facet of her personality and not the sum of it.

But if she's the only responsible character in a team of boisterous "aw, I just wanna have fun!" types, then it just makes her look like a buzzkill, which isn't the most endearing trait for a character in what's supposed to be a fun kids show.
That sounds like both Marge and Lisa Simpson.

Grumpy Ginger

Jul 9, 2012
I only ever watched the 2003 series to any great extent but seriously guys if you want a female Character there were female artists during the Renaissance Artemisia springs to mind

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
Huh, its funny, this series was actually the first to introduce me to the ninja turtles. As a little kid I remember really liking the show, but even then, I recognized a lot of it as crap. I loved parts of the show, but I could always tell it was made on a zero budget and that the lack of Shredder always bothered me.

Its funny, you'd think Venus would be ripe for a redesign, at least a fanmade one. But I haven't even seen fanart of her.