Nintendo 2DS Slashed to $100 RRP, With Free Mario Kart 7

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo 2DS Slashed to $100 RRP, With Free Mario Kart 7

The entry barrier for 3DS gaming just got a whole lot cheaper.

Today, Nintendo announced that its already super-cheap 3DS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/2ds] gaming significantly, so anyone who has been wanting to jump on the 3DS bandwagon, or just wants a cheap distraction for their kids, now is the time.

The price drop comes almost two years after the handheld's launch in the US. Coming in at $130, $50 less than the $170 3DS, the 2DS's cheap price came with a few downsides. As the name would suggest, the 3DS's signature stereoscopic 3D was cut from the 2DS, as well as the clamshell folding design that gamers have been familiar with since the original DS.

Still, if you want to enjoy hits like Pokemon X and Y, Mario Kart 7 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which don't make particularly strong use of the 3D feature anyway, it's a must-buy.

You may recall that the original 3DS dropped from $250 to $170 just five months after its launch in 2011, when it failed to meet sales expectations. This price drop isn't as sudden, and is more of an indication of Nintendo wanting to promote the system as a cheap handheld for kids for the upcoming holiday system.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/08/nintendo-dropping-2ds-price-to-100-on-august-30/]

Sep 14, 2009
the 3DS's signature stereoscopic 3D was cut from the 2DS
I have yet to see anyone use this feature on a regular basis or count it as a positive for the 3DS...

as well as the clamshell folding design that gamers have been familiar with since the original DS
but THIS is definitely what has prevented me from getting the 2DS

This is neat though, I'm definitely going to consider this for the fall in my budget.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
So, Pokemon machines are gonna be cheaper? /jk Seriously, This is good for anyone waiting to jump into the 3DS library.

I always thought the 2DS should have been slightly cheaper or Nintendo would at least include a snap on screen cover/case to protect the delicate target made by the lack of a clam shell. Since the 2DS's main demographics is younger kids, I can imagine some getting busted because parents did buy something to protect the screen and tell their child to use it.

Now, where's the Wii U drop? The Xbox is just $50 more and has ads for its games plastered across the digital and physical worlds. I highly doubt the upcoming games are going to move units like Nintendo wants. It might be time to break even or take a small loss on each console.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
as well as the clamshell folding design that gamers have been familiar with since the original DS
But it is what made me get one, because I can grip it without getting frozen lobster claw hands after twenty five minutes.

The 2DS has a much nice grip size than any of the other DS models, the lack of folding doesn't matter to me when it lives on a shelf.

gonenow3

May 2, 2015
fix-the-spade said:
gmaverick019 said:
But it is what made me get one, because I can grip it without getting frozen lobster claw hands after twenty five minutes.

The 2DS has a much nice grip size than any of the other DS models, the lack of folding doesn't matter to me when it lives on a shelf.
Completely agree plus it fits in my jacket pocket anyway so the folding is a none issue.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Heard about this a few days ago, and I gotta say it did get me a bit excited. I had been wanting to pick up a 3DS but due to the price and my budget I just couldn't fit it in. The 2DS was a good alternative but still just a bit too pricey for me. Glad I decided to hold out instead of splurging, as I'll very likely be picking up a 2DS once the price drop hits.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Still waiting on a North American announcement for the New 3DS(Non-XL). I'd like my c-stick nub and ability to apply face-plates on a model that fits in my pocket.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
I have yet to see anyone use this feature on a regular basis or count it as a positive for the 3DS...
The 3D effect is actually pretty good, at least on the New 3DS that lets you shift horizontally. It's as good as Real 3D or your regional equivalent that is weaker than IMAX.

Sep 14, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
gmaverick019 said:

I wasn't referring to the grips but merely to the lack of folding for travel/size purposes, i haven't held a 3DS vs a 2DS so I couldn't tell you how I would feel about that, but that's a fair reason to prefer it over the 3DS model.

Xman490 said:
gmaverick019 said:
The 3D effect is actually pretty good, at least on the New 3DS that lets you shift horizontally. It's as good as Real 3D or your regional equivalent that is weaker than IMAX.
I'm not saying the 3D effect is terrible, I'm saying that every single person I know who has a 3DS doesn't use it and certainly didn't get it for that, and if they did, they used it for maybe a half an hour and then said "fuck it, off it goes.", which is why I was waiting to get the 2DS, but it's lack of a clamshell type model is what prevented me from getting it sooner.

Apl_J

Jun 16, 2011
As an owner of both a new3DS and a 2DS, I'm surprised that no one seems to mention just how much more comfortable the 2DS is in your hands compared to the 3DS models. The standard 3DS's bottom portion is about the size of a smartphone. I have small hands and even I can't actually 'hold' it; I have to cradle it like a smartphone with my fingers. For extended play, this is awful, and the brick shape does the 3DS no favors. the 3DSXL and new3DS are bigger, but are also heavier and just as thin, so it isn't much of an improvement there.

If you can live without 3D (which is alright at best), the clamshell (bags are a thing), or the new3DS's features, then I definitely recommend a 2DS, especially at just $100.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
- No folding leaves the screens exposed to dust and I like that the buttons are protected when I put the 3DS in my pocket.
- No 3D, I use it sometimes and it's nice to have when I want to use it, it's improved on the New 3DS so I use it more.
- No XL model, a non folding XL would be too big anyway.

Even at this price it's worthless to me and since I have had Mario Kart 7 for years, the free downloadable copy would be a waste.