Nintendo Addresses "Misinterpreted" Watergate Joke in Paper Mario: Color Splash

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Yeah I saw this on twitter. It does sound to me like pure egotism.

Shots Fired from Nintendo calling it a hate campaign, God Damn,

Karadalis said:
shrekfan246 said:
(Boyfriend, not husband.)

Before it was called Gamergate (probably after, too, but they transitioned over to Literally Who so quickly once other women were thrown into the mix that it's a bit hard to keep track anymore), Quinn was being referred to (on this very website, no less) as "Five Guys Burger and Fries", due to the allegations raised against her in the post that kicked everything off that said she slept with five other people.
Actually im pretty sure the "five guys" thing came from a youtuber called the internet aristocrat... who was one of the reasons this whole thing about zoey was even discussed and then censored everywhere but on the escapist... wich then kickstarted gamergate thanks to the streissand effect and people being quite pissed about the censorship.. and then the gamers are dead articles hit the web and all hell broke loose.. the rest.. is history.
nah the Five Guys joke was in her jilted Ex-BFs tumblr post originally.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Controversy makes poor reference to other controversy...main person in said controversy forgets where the fuck the name even came from. Zoe, you're an idiot. You probably think Watergate was actually about water. I stayed out of Gamergate, but certainly this reflects poorly on you.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
God how DARE Nintendo make a reference to Watergate? Do they not know how terrible that event was to poor dicky?

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Heh, I guess gamergate's PR department never quite convinced Nintendo they weren't an "online hate campaign".

As for the game's script; I don't know enough about Watergate or Zoe's kerfuffle to comment, but it'd have been nice to see all the dialogue in its sequence as opposed to two apparently individual lines spliced together.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
... Really? like.... Really? I really don't understand why she would she would bring herself back into the spotlight like this. I don't think that joke is about her at fucking all, but even if it was, only die hard people would get it and even then it probably wouldn't have made it that far. But now, I am forced to remember who the fuck Quinn is, who the fuck Quinn "fucked" and about that scandal that made following gaming and head scratching chore for three years, while Game journalism was reduced to Ben Kuchera Jerking off on an occulus, and Devin Feracci telling bullied "nerds" that they're also shitty people and probably deserve it.

Not everything is a scandal, and it's and industry full of children. Get over it and go play some Doom. It runs at 60 fps on console and you can shoot demons in the face. If you don't like doom, might I suggest the new Pokemon game.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Oooooohhhhhhhh I get it, Five Fun Guys -> Five Fungi, because they are Toads and Toads are mushrooms.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
Heh, I guess gamergate's PR department never quite convinced Nintendo they weren't an "online hate campaign".

As for the game's script; I don't know enough about Watergate or Zoe's kerfuffle to comment, but it'd have been nice to see all the dialogue in its sequence as opposed to two apparently individual lines spliced together.
You can see it here.

https://twitter.com/_icze4r/status/745749105868038144

....Sorry, still can't seem to embed a tweet properly so a link is the best I can do.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
thebobmaster said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Wait, i thought you meant the Nixon watergate scandal! That was a weird moment i had of considering Nintendo addressing US political corruption.
This, however, is infinitely less interesting and infinitely more disappointing. :(
The joke was about the Nixon Watergate Scandal. The article is about someone taking it as a personal attack for some reason, manipulating screenshots to "prove" her point.
Is the screenshot hers? Or did someone send it to her already photoshopped as a prank? No way to prove either, but the clues point towards the later.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Sorry, but who is this and why should I care what she thinks? "Gate" is a thing now, it's used for a tun of stuff. Wow, the Narcissism on display here is amazing.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010

God, this is terrific, did she waste money on that shit Paper mario?
Did she paste that image together herself or was it handed to her?
Is she doing this just to get some time in the spotlight?
And why can't i stop laughing

SlumlordThanatos said:
This is the only response that this should receive:
I like you, that was my reaction as well.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Dat Narcissism yo. In unrelated news, this has made me discover that she's going to be voicing a character in what is basically the Director's Cut of Read Only Memories. God why.
thebobmaster said:
(Screw you, spellcheck, I spell it British)
This is an American site and you will speak American like the good lord intended!

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
Zontar said:
God how DARE Nintendo make a reference to Watergate? Do they not know how terrible that event was to poor dicky?

Thank you so much, I was waiting for this!

OT: This lady again?

Oh boy, and the comments are already getting mildly kinda-sorta heated. I'm just gonna find a little bunker with some popcorn to crawl in to and watch from a distance.

Anyone want to come along?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I think we know why Zoe Quinn suffered now, because she's a fucking idiot. I taught myself to not over-react to things like this ages ago (especially in public), and after all the Gamergate stuff, you'd think someone like this will want to take careful steps.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Fat_Hippo said:
The craziest thing about all of this is that Zoe Quinn has a sufficiently large ego that she could believe Nintendo knows or cares about her existence enough to put a joke into their game that would go over the heads of 95% of their audience, if it had actually been about Quinn.
This is why I don't post a lot. Other people sum it better than I ever could. In which case, I'll add this...
Quin, shut the fuck up. Stop making this about you. Stop pretending anyone like Nintendo cares about who you are. Just shut up. Shut. Up.
Go do something else. But leave your ego at the door, and remember that context is very, VERY important

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Jack O said:
Oh boy, and the comments are already getting mildly kinda-sorta heated. I'm just gonna find a little bunker with some popcorn to crawl in to and watch from a distance.

Anyone want to come along?
The Basement is reinforced and has beer.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Quellist said:
As someone who doesn't really follow gamergate one way or the other, can someone please explain what 'Five Fun Guys' has to do with Gamergate? Is this supposed to be some kind of reference to these men Zoe is said to have slept with?

I'm entirely neutral here, just curious.
thebobmaster said:
Yes. According to the rumours (Screw you, spellcheck, I spell it British), Zoe slept with 5 men besides her husband. Hence, "Five Fun Guys", according to her.
(Boyfriend, not husband.)

Before it was called Gamergate (probably after, too, but they transitioned over to Literally Who so quickly once other women were thrown into the mix that it's a bit hard to keep track anymore), Quinn was being referred to (on this very website, no less) as "Five Guys Burger and Fries", due to the allegations raised against her in the post that kicked everything off that said she slept with five other people.
Gotcha. Thanks both of you for clearing that up for me.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
...Who?

Ohhhh that chick who dun' fucked up (and fucked men) and after "suffering" and "trauma" and blah blah blah, she's inserting herself back into the media for saying stupid shit... why?

I thought once someone was involved in crap like that, they go under the radar to avoid being involved in MORE crap like that.

[[ also whenever I think "five guys" I think of the burger place. Mmmm burgers and fries... ]]

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
All right Nintendo, I'm willing to overlook that whole "hate campaign" comment. Your geographic and cultural positions make you largely an outside observer, and our media outlets worked like mad to skew "the narrative" in their favor.

It's always satisfying to see disreputable folk like Ms. Quinn dig their own hole. Reminds me of when FemFreq went after DOOM at last year's E3, thus securing their reputation as a latter-day Jack Thompson.
Zontar said:
"WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NIXON?!"

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I really don't follow any gamergate/sjw stuff and I really don't have an opinion on the matter.

But do people like this Zoe Quinn not see maybe why they get so much hate? It's because of misleading/editing/omitting stuff like this, and misconstruing things to fit their own arguments.

I remember way back, when that other Anita girl was doing a video about how Hitman is sexist because the game entices you to kill women in a strip club and manipulate their bodies.

She had to do her own gameplay video to show that this was possible, and claimed that the game was meant to be played like that, she had to her own gameplay because of the 50 or so playthroughs already on youtube (all played by men), every single one of them avoided the girls she killed because that was the best way to complete the mission.

She also claimed there was no punishment for killing them, despite her score literally plummeting on screen as she killed 2 women that were not her targets, and on top of that, she purposefully neglected to tell her audience that all the things she did to those female characters could also be done to every single male character in the game.

I just feel like there wouldn't even be a gamergate if everybody on both sides would stop misrepresenting things.