Nintendo Addresses "Misinterpreted" Watergate Joke in Paper Mario: Color Splash

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I can't help but think that if she hadn't tweeted about it in the first place then nobody would have made this "connection".

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Now to wait for Nintendo to figure out what the real "hate campaign" is. Even the Treehouse fellow travelers are not safe from these kinds of attacks, so good luck courting that mob.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
As someone who doesn't really follow gamergate one way or the other, can someone please explain what 'Five Fun Guys' has to do with Gamergate? Is this supposed to be some kind of reference to these men Zoe is said to have slept with?

I'm entirely neutral here, just curious.

Nov 28, 2007
Quellist said:
As someone who doesn't really follow gamergate one way or the other, can someone please explain what 'Five Fun Guys' has to do with Gamergate? Is this supposed to be some kind of reference to these men Zoe is said to have slept with?

Yes. According to the rumours (Screw you, spellcheck, I spell it British), Zoe slept with 5 men besides her husband. Hence, "Five Fun Guys", according to her.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
Avnger said:
90sgamer said:
This just in, rapist*, professional victim and would-be drama queen of morally ill repute damages Nintendo in an attempt to become relevant again, and various piddlesquats buy it as unquestioning people are wont to do.

Liz knows what's up. That's why you're the only game journalist I particularly like, Liz.

* Zoe admits to having diddled at least five guys, one of whom was her boss, while in a monogamous relationship. According to her published opinion, cheating on a partner is rape.
Honest question: Why are you this angry and upset with a small-time dev who was completely unknown until she began receiving an immense amount of harassment from anonymous internet users? Were you her boyfriend? Did she personally harm you and/or a friend of yours? If not, I fail to see how one could have such blinding hatred against another random person on the internet that would cause you turn go off on such a rant about her.

On topic: Meh another article about Zoe. To be fair to the people getting mixed up about the reference, Nintendo purposely referencing the Watergate scandal is more than a little out of character in a Mario game; Also, the whole "gamergate" thing is still on a lot of minds in the gaming community.
Correction: she was unknown until her boyfriend wrote about his emotional trauma resulting from her actions. The social justice you refer to followed that accounting.

Do you really consider a single sentence mock head-line a rant? Are you from one of those safe spaces I keep hearing about.

Karadalis said:
90sgamer said:
* Zoe diddled 5 guys, one of whom was her boss, while in a monogamous relationship. According to her published opinion, cheating on a partner is rape.
Even if true, it's an assine definition of rape. It really only paints you as attacking her for the sake of it.
Look up reductio ad absurdum. By taking her argumument to its silly logical conclusion, I demonstrate that the argument is invalid.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Zoe Quinn's histrionic whinging is almost as bad as watching football/soccer players take a dive during the World Cup when a rival player brushes against their jersey.

Clutching their faces and rolling on the ground like they are bleeding to death, all as an extralegal play to undermine their opponents; everyone rolls their eyes and prays to god that this kind of transparent behavior doesn't go rewarded as it too often does.

Oct 22, 2011
We did it guys, the term "-Gate" has been so overused, people forgot it's original meaning! Now it's time to step up the game and move onto "-Ghazi".

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Okay, regardless of where you stand on any scandal, accusation, affair, event, or anything with the potential to engender the least bit of controversy- can we all agree that it's time to find a new suffix to apply to future ones?

Achelexus

May 31, 2014
Poor Zoe, always being a victim of imaginary hate groups while leading hateful campaigns herself.

Dazzle Novak

Sep 28, 2015
All the usual suspects have seized this opportunity to dogpile, so no need for my input. Still...

"You're so vaaaaaaain! I bet you think this parody of the most iconic presidential scandal in recent history accompanied by a lousy pun is about you. Don't you? Don't you? Don't you?"

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
I've been told that Quinn wanted to put all this drama in her past. Taking this as fact, why then level against Nintendo accusations like this, which anybody with half a brain will knows could only manufacture more drama?

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Dazzle Novak said:
All the usual suspects have seized this opportunity to dogpile, so no need for my input. Still...

"You're so vaaaaaaain! I bet you think this parody of the most iconic presidential scandal in recent history accompanied by a lousy pun is about you. Don't you? Don't you? Don't you?"
Who is even dog piling who?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Quellist said:

thebobmaster said:
Yes. According to the rumours (Screw you, spellcheck, I spell it British), Zoe slept with 5 men besides her husband. Hence, "Five Fun Guys", according to her.
(Boyfriend, not husband.)

Before it was called Gamergate (probably after, too, but they transitioned over to Literally Who so quickly once other women were thrown into the mix that it's a bit hard to keep track anymore), Quinn was being referred to (on this very website, no less) as "Five Guys Burger and Fries", due to the allegations raised against her in the post that kicked everything off that said she slept with five other people.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
(Boyfriend, not husband.)

Before it was called Gamergate (probably after, too, but they transitioned over to Literally Who so quickly once other women were thrown into the mix that it's a bit hard to keep track anymore), Quinn was being referred to (on this very website, no less) as "Five Guys Burger and Fries", due to the allegations raised against her in the post that kicked everything off that said she slept with five other people.
Actually im pretty sure the "five guys" thing came from a youtuber called the internet aristocrat... who was one of the reasons this whole thing about zoey was even discussed and then censored everywhere but on the escapist... wich then kickstarted gamergate thanks to the streissand effect and people being quite pissed about the censorship.. and then the gamers are dead articles hit the web and all hell broke loose.. the rest.. is history.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Ugh, talk about self involved. What's wrong Quinn? Mad you aren't in the media anymore so you had to turn what was obviously a joke that predates you into a joke about you. I mean, how ignorant do you have to be to not recognize that "anythinggate" is derived from Watergate. Girl on internet doesn't know history, so she automatically assumes it's about her.

Also, 5 guys is still a reference to Watergate! 5 men broke in into the Democratic National Committee headquarters at the Watergate complex. I had to bring that up upon reading other comments. Believe it or not, no one gives a shit about Zoe Quinn, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The joke referenced here, Watergate, had significantly more social and political relevance than Zoe Quinn ever did.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Karadalis said:
Actually im pretty sure the "five guys" thing came from a youtuber called the internet aristocrat... who was one of the reasons this whole thing about zoey was even discussed and then censored everywhere but on the escapist...
I didn't say it started here, just that it was also present here.

And I'm really not interested in getting into another argument about Gamergate. I wasn't even going to post in this thread, but I felt inclined to provide that person with an answer to their question.