Nintendo Addresses "Misinterpreted" Watergate Joke in Paper Mario: Color Splash

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
-reads comments-

...jesus, no wonder she's jumping at this. For someone who 'doesn't matter' y'all are just chomping at the bit to heap shit on the pile. That kinda long-term hate is enough to make anyone suspicious of shit, just in case it's yet more fuel to the fire that everyone denies is still burning.

I don't even agree with her but fuck me guys, take the hate-boner down a couple notches, yeah? If it last longer than 4 hours, you're supposed to contact a trained medical professional, not swing it around an internet forum.

Achelexus

May 31, 2014
Darth Rosenberg said:
Heh, I guess gamergate's PR department never quite convinced Nintendo they weren't an "online hate campaign".

As for the game's script; I don't know enough about Watergate or Zoe's kerfuffle to comment, but it'd have been nice to see all the dialogue in its sequence as opposed to two apparently individual lines spliced together.
Wasn't Nintendo firing Alison Rapp a big step, though? I doubt Big N cares about these weirdo conspiracy theories that they have, they're not going to agree with them.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
I had depression for over 10 years. I did some weird stuff. Also, I program and use Blender, both for entertainment purpouses. Why doesn't someone write about my breakouts of mental disorders?

I know that this isn't the Escapist's fault.

How to solve this? She's been known since way before GamerGate. She's been doing some vile stuff, still does apparently. Either she's mental or she's borderline criminal with modern cyber crime laws, which don't apply to her for very mysterious reasons, one most likely being her crying louder than everyone else.

So for her own and everyone involved's good, she should be denied access to the internet. She cannot use it for several months in a row even without spouting bullshit, inciting yet another controversy about herself by herself and does considerable, even financial damage to others. She changes her name every so often and does it again. And again. And again. And so on. You can't tell me that someone, who changes her name and has the ability to change the entire internet persona is unable to avoid harassment.

The only constant in everything is her. Curious, huh?

Saying my last words ever about her, except for maybe live appearances; Ignore her. Whatever might happen. She's working hard on achieving exactly this. I'm sick and tired of her dragging random stuff into the mud only because she needs attention and is seeing ghosts in clouds.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
Wrex Brogan said:
-reads comments-

...jesus, no wonder she's jumping at this. For someone who 'doesn't matter' y'all are just chomping at the bit to heap shit on the pile. That kinda long-term hate is enough to make anyone suspicious of shit, just in case it's yet more fuel to the fire that everyone denies is still burning.

I don't even agree with her but fuck me guys, take the hate-boner down a couple notches, yeah? If it last longer than 4 hours, you're supposed to contact a trained medical professional, not swing it around an internet forum.
She took two out-of-context images, and put them together to imply a relationship that does not exist, and you call that being "suspicious of shit?" No, Wrex, that's not being suspicious of shit. It's disingenuous. It's misleading. It's a lie by omission.

You imply that she's been harassed long-term for one little thing. That's not the case. She's the recipient of social justice only when she does something to earn it. To wit: she's been left alone for a long time as she faded into obsolescence. Note the number of people in this thread who have expressed surprised that she's back on the radar. That's not the reaction of a community that's been hounding her from the beginning of time through the present. Good grief man.

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Wrex Brogan said:
-reads comments-

Its not like they are personolly Sending Messages to her, its nothing new for people to have opinions on others.
Just look at Trump, Clinton, Obama etc.. they get far worse.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Whole lotta people writing a lot of words about not caring about some nobody.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
hermes said:
thebobmaster said:
The joke was about the Nixon Watergate Scandal.
I thought it was about the memetic mutation of calling everything remotely approaching controversy Gate. Outside of Gamergate, we had Fifagate, Toiletgate, Shirtgate, Doritogate, Bendgate, Celebgate, Hairgate, Panamagate, Troopergate. The wikipedia page has over 150 references (some of them are beyond petty), and I pretty sure that list is not extensive enough...

One would argue all of them are indirect references to Watergate, but I think it is more likely the translator are more familiar with the fad than the scandal that originated it.
And you can't forget that extremely treacherous Colgate Scandal. That was one you could really sink your teeth into.

Smoketrail

May 15, 2015
Don't suppose anyone happens to know if she played the game herself or just had someone send her the screen shots in question?

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
The Great JT said:
Oh just shut up, Zoe. No one wants anything to do with you.
I wouldn't normally post in a thread like this but I feel like you should know...

She's gotten a voice acting role. She'll probably get more after, if not already.

Street Halo

Jun 7, 2016
Classic Zoe! Just when you think the lolcow's been milked dry she squeezes out a few more lulz. I hope she never leaves XD

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Someone wants more attention.

Pretty self-absorbed to assume Nintendo even knows who she is.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Jack O said:
Oh boy, and the comments are already getting mildly kinda-sorta heated. I'm just gonna find a little bunker with some popcorn to crawl in to and watch from a distance.

Anyone want to come along?
The Basement is reinforced and has beer.
Lets double up on that reinforcement part, things can get to shit-tacular levels of messy with trigger topics like this.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
...Do people born in the mid-to-late 1990's not know about Watergate? Not everything revolves around you Quinn, especially whatever the Hell Gamergate was. Wasn't it a primarily American thing anyway?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Aerosteam said:
The Great JT said:
Oh just shut up, Zoe. No one wants anything to do with you.
I wouldn't normally post in a thread like this but I feel like you should know...

She's gotten a voice acting role. She'll probably get more after, if not already.
Probably not. 2064 (Which I own and enjoy) was a Kickstarted game that didn't really make a splash. The only reason I heard about it was due to the fact I happen to be a fan of the composer. Zoe Quinn wasn't mentioned as a voice actor in the game outside of that video during promotion. And judging by the views not many other people did.

She likely won't be getting voice roles in the future. There are devs that support her. But they likely don't need the vitriol overshadowing their indie title.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Quinn? Go away.
I don't wish you harm. I don't wish you ill. But every time you shout something like this as wide as pssible, it becomes harder to buy the argument that you just want to be left alone.
Could you, maybe, I dunno, work on a *game*, just so maybe people could have something else to associate with you?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
Wait, i thought you meant the Nixon watergate scandal! That was a weird moment i had of considering Nintendo addressing US political corruption.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_scandal
So did I. I hereby change this thread to one about Richard Nixon.

Discuss.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Good on Nintendo for clarifying, and for calling GamerGate out as a hate campaign.

It's not that surprising for Quinn to jump at shadows considering everything that happened to her, so I can't say I blame her in that regard.
If she didn't "jump at shadows", she wouldn't be in the situation she put herself int. Quinn is a complete scumbag of a person, and the only reason anyone thinks otherwise is because she has tits.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Scow2 said:
Andy Shandy said:
Good on Nintendo for clarifying, and for calling GamerGate out as a hate campaign.

It's not that surprising for Quinn to jump at shadows considering everything that happened to her, so I can't say I blame her in that regard.
If she didn't "jump at shadows", she wouldn't be in the situation she put herself int. Quinn is a complete scumbag of a person, and the only reason anyone thinks otherwise is because she has tits.
Oh you've totally convinced me, with your great reasoning there. Just a shame owning those tits got her an inordinate amount of abuse that makes it a lot easier to sympathise with her.

That works better if you changed it to jump on shadows fyi.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Wait, i thought you meant the Nixon watergate scandal! That was a weird moment i had of considering Nintendo addressing US political corruption.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_scandal
So did I. I hereby change this thread to one about Richard Nixon.

Discuss.
I think Nixon was innocent; WatergateGate was obviously a plot by the Zionist-Illuminati Conspiracy to put black helicopters in our water!