Nintendo Admits Wii's Online Didn't Cut It

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Seems to be a theme developing. The Wii's shortcomings all stem from Nintendo's insistence to go it alone with no outside help.

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Seems to be a theme developing. The Wii's shortcomings all stem from Nintendo's insistence to go it alone with no outside help.
It's been that way forever, they've always been a tad overconfident. Let's hope that mentality changes.

rsvp42 said:
the early stages of the penetration of Wii.
lol @ the unfortunate diction here :p
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

Stammer said:
That Guy Who Phails said:
....We really are at the end of the Wii's lifespan, aren't we?
Yeah, and it sucks to think that I got this whole console and only own one freaking game for it (Brawl).

Money well wasted.
Get Donkey Kong Country returns and metroid prime collection/Corruption.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
John Funk said:
The reason, he says, was because the house of Mario insisted on doing the online network its own way rather than contracting experts.
This isn't a correct interpretation of what was said. Doing things "on its own" (which is what was meant with the term "jimae-shugi", which means "self-sufficiency") and doing things "its own way" are not the same thing, beacuse bringing outside help doesn't exactly prevent Nintendo from doing their online network in a unique fashion. For example, even though they are utilising outside help for setting up the online network for the 3DS, they are still doing it in their own way.

Sorry if that comes off as nitpicky, but it is an important distinction.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Ed. said:
dedicated servers would be an epic win for the console market solves an array of problems.

Ne1butme said:
Here's the simplest solution - Steam for Cafe.

It has everything that Nintendo needs. A robust market, friends lists, community support, Voice chat.
This I might actually buy a console again some day
Damn you for stealing my idea! Steam would become too powerful if Nintendo allowed it...

Wait, I could play Portal 2 on the Wii?

O_O

MADNESS!

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Sounds like, well, yet another Nintendo quote.

In fact, hasn't Nintendo already said before that their online strategy wasn't good and that they were going to improve it?

Nintendo has been doing this for years now. Everyone's all excited about how Cafe will bring back the hardcore and yet Nintendo's been claiming they've been refocusing on the hardcore ever since the hardcore crowd got more into the PSX games than N64 games. Nintendo's been claiming they will do more to attract 3rd party developers since, well, pretty much the same time.

Nintendo likes to make statements about agreeing their current situation is a poor one and then make promises to fix it. It's what they do. What they don't really seem to do, however, is actually take their statements seriously and make good on their promises.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
admitted only after the new one is announced and promises the next one will be better ... may aswell be saying WE WANT YOUR MONEY AND DONT CARE ABOUT THE QUALITY OF OUR PRODUCT.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
All I want is to be able to make dungeons in Zelda, and then download from people who actually know what they're doing.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
The problem was mainly the Wii's lack of accessibility when it came to online features. The games were mostly fine (the fighting games are about the same as they are on PSN, same with the shooters, they're fairly smooth with a good connection), but they scared developers away with the lack of features, or really the lack of advertising them. I mean the Wii has DLC, but only a handful of companies used it!
StriderShinryu said:

In fact, hasn't Nintendo already said before that their online strategy wasn't good and that they were going to improve it?

Nintendo has been doing this for years now. Everyone's all excited about how Cafe will bring back the hardcore and yet Nintendo's been claiming they've been refocusing on the hardcore ever since the hardcore crowd got more into the PSX games than N64 games. Nintendo's been claiming they will do more to attract 3rd party developers since, well, pretty much the same time.

Nintendo likes to make statements about agreeing their current situation is a poor one and then make promises to fix it. It's what they do. What they don't really seem to do, however, is actually take their statements seriously and make good on their promises.
Concerning your main paragraph...don't you remember the last two generations? They did make good on their promises, but people didn't care, so they said "fuck it" and broadened their demographic.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
StriderShinryu said:

Concerning your main paragraph...don't you remember the last two generations? They did make good on their promises, but people didn't care, so they said "fuck it" and broadened their demographic.
They broadened their demographic with the Wii.. and then what did they do at E3 last year? They triumphantly exclaimed once again that they were readjusting and moving back to target their disappointed hardcore gaming audience (again), and yet they never really did outside of the DKC reboot. As I said, at this point, everyone should just expect Nintendo to admit their mistakes and promise to do better only to fail then rinse and repeat.

If you want to paint it as no one caring about the "efforts" they have made then that's your call, but I would counter that the reason no one seemed to care was actually because they never actually fixed anything.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Ne1butme said:
Here's the simplest solution - Steam for Cafe.

It has everything that Nintendo needs. A robust market, friends lists, community support, Voice chat.
Complete control by an outside entity....
I can't tell if you think this is a good thing or not. It's obvious that Nintendo won't ever do this. But i'm not sure what you're thinking.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
Friend codes are just not a very good system. Though it does give you the ability to not play with tools, a well kept friends list can do exactly the same. I'm glad they realize this.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Yes, because contracting a business and making them a partner in an online venture gives them complete control. Like how Valve got complete control of the PSN because they added Steam to the PS3.

Wait, does that mean that Gabe's responsible for the break-in?

Where are my pitchforks and flaming torches??? I demand answers!!!

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
internetzealot1 said:
All I want is to be able to make dungeons in Zelda, and then download from people who actually know what they're doing.
Didn't 3D Dot Game Heroes do that?
Did they? I was under the impression that the only thing you could create in that game was weapons. Either way, I was talking about 3D Zelda. Although a 2d dungeon editor might be realized a little quicker...

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Personally I just hope it's optional for voice chatting. It's the single-most annoying thing to have some douche or kid screaming down the mic while on PS3/360 online. Thank god for the mute feature.