Nintendo Admits Xbox Live and PSN Are Too Far Ahead

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nintendo Admits Xbox Live and PSN Are Too Far Ahead

Trying to overtake the competition isn't practical.

While Nintendo's Wii stomped all over the competition this console cycle, one of the little white box's critical flaws was Nintendo's reluctance to embrace online gaming the way competitors at Microsoft and Sony had. Its online efforts were clunky and half-hearted at best. Speaking with investors, Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata admitted that a full console cycle's head start meant that Xbox Live and PSN would be difficult if not impossible to overtake.

"I think that what we see in terms of online gaming networks on existing dedicated gaming platforms is not particularly well suited to the approach Nintendo has taken," he said. "Therefore, I can't sit here and say to you that we can very quickly overcome or catch up to other companies, which began to work in the online field from many years ago and have been building these online networks on other platforms, and I don't think that would be a smart strategy, either."

Instead, Iwata talked up the social aspects of Nintendo's upcoming Miiverse. "We think that one fun area of possibility, as we have discussed, is for people not just to enjoy the games but also communicate with others about topics relating to the games," he said. "We also believe that the Miiverse will serve the purpose of giving people an opportunity to discover other games that they haven't yet started playing."

Doing away with the Friend Codes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117879-Wii-Us-Friend-Codes-Wont-be-as-Awkward] is an important first step, Nintendo. I hope you carry it through.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353614/iwata-xbox-live-and-psn-are-too-far-developed-for-nintendo-to-catch-up/]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Make the Nintendo Shop more emphasized.

Make games that make me want to play online.

Make connecting with people easy.

Do all that and get the sales the Wii got and then you will overtake the PSN and possibly XBL as well, if you also manage to show that the Wii U is totally viable as a hardware platform for the hardcore game.

Calumon: And why not some cake when you buy it? :3

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Honestly, they don't need to be better then the Microsoft or Sony. I doubt they could be if they wanted to given just how far ahead the other two are. All they really need to do is start making online possible without having to jump through hoop after hoop and have it stable to play on.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wii dominated early, but the sales have dropped off and it's not exactly the dominating force it once was.

Still, it's amazing that actually having online functionality put the other two ahead in...Online functionality, innit?

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
As long as they continue the improvements made to the online shop that they did with the 3DS eShop, I think it'll turn out alright.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Matthew94 said:
All I can say is at least they are honest about their mistakes and the challenges ahead.
While denying other mistakes and challenges...They've got a long way to go for the enlightenment of acceptance.

Xeraxis

Aug 7, 2011
At this point, it should not about besting the other two online networks. For them, they should just try to create a greater overall online experience compared to the previous Wii and not reproduce some of the features and attributes of the clunky, sub-par online that stemmed from it.

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
Too far ahead? Really? I'm sorry, but that's a load of crock. All you need to do is make a basic version of XBL. Create an overseeable dashboard, a la the 3DS dashboard for example, then make a simple yet effective friendslist and then sprinkle some of that Nintendo magic over it.

Captcha agrees with me. It said "That's It"

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
just make the online component more like what Steam is, why not have Valve help them develop their online interface?

Noble_Lance

Sep 4, 2011
I just want them to be able to play modern games and have massive 3rd party support. I stopped playing the Wii in favor of my PC because I was too cheap to buy another console in this cycle and I could get more games I liked that way. I've grown up on Nintendo and will admit that proudly, including during the worst parts of my childhood, Nintendo with its shiny little pixel distractions kept me coming back so I hold a torch for them. That being said if its just gonna be all the remakes, retreads and same games from their IPs I'm gonna throw a chair and buy a new console. Cause I've missed out on a few games now and in the past cause of that loyalty/cheapness.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Since PSN and XBL have more or less defined what does and doesn't work in an online console network, and numerous PC games have done the same for PC (albeit badly, Battle.net), and Steam has defined online PC game purchasing, etc, I truly fail to see how Nintendo can say "we can't catch up" since the playbook is already written - all they'd have to do is put a respectable amount of cash into servers and support, repeat the best parts and eliminate the worst of the services listed above, and they could have a workable platform up and running with much less time and effort than PSN/XBL put out.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
cefm said:
Since PSN and XBL have more or less defined what does and doesn't work in an online console network, and numerous PC games have done the same for PC (albeit badly, Battle.net), and Steam has defined online PC game purchasing, etc, I truly fail to see how Nintendo can say "we can't catch up" since the playbook is already written - all they'd have to do is put a respectable amount of cash into servers and support, repeat the best parts and eliminate the worst of the services listed above, and they could have a workable platform up and running with much less time and effort than PSN/XBL put out.
Completely agree with this, if they can't catch up with the online stuff because of sony and microsoft's head start then surely they can't catch up with there head start on HD which renders the wii U pointless cause it will never be better than the 360/PS3 and when there successors are released it will be destroyed.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Make the Nintendo Shop more emphasized.

Make games that make me want to play online.

Make connecting with people easy.

Do all that and get the sales the Wii got and then you will overtake the PSN and possibly XBL as well, if you also manage to show that the Wii U is totally viable as a hardware platform for the hardcore game.

Calumon: And why not some cake when you buy it? :3
I have doubts that doing those three things would allow Nintendo to surpass Microsoft and Sony in online functionality. But that said, it sure as hell would be welcomed. Pain in my ass to get the Wii my family owns to even connect to the internet...

Also, cake is awesome.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
*Looks at PSN with its constant maintanence and never ending firmware updates, and XBL's subscription model*
Really? It wouldn't be that hard...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
He almost sounds like he is making an excuse. You don't have to beat the competition, but you do need to enter the competition. Don't not try. Make it accessible and easy for people to connect on. You only have to build it's capabilities as time goes on. The thing is, if people want to be online, you need to make it easy. And your stupid ass friend codes is a piss poor start.